Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,842 times

Advertisements

In order for GM to stay afloat, they most likely need to revaluate their entire strategy. It is rumored that they may cut the entire Pontiac line to just one model. The one model that may be saved could be the G8, which would be sold along with Buicks and GMCs on about the same scales as GM's own corrvette. I think if this were to happen, it would be good to only save the G8, as it is not based on another vehicle in GM's model line already. Feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
The G8 is based on another model in GM's line - just not their US lineup. Holden Commodore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, this isn't terribly surprising. They don't really have anything else left with its own identity.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Pontiac is likely to be repositioned as a niche brand.

The Commodore the G8 is based on is a fantastic car and hopefully they will bring the Ute over as promised as the Sport Truck.

I'm definitely getting a G8 when my other car tires out.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 PM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
I hate to see Pontiac go! I vote for the G8 for the one model to keep also. My 2nd choice would be the Solstice,but I think the Saturn Sky is the better looking car.

If something happens to my Formula or my wife's GTP,we will most likely buy a G8.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 AM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
The G8 is the same zeta platform that the camaro is being built off.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Personally if GM is gonna survive then they need to downsize majorly and that means getting rid of Pontiac, Buick, and GMC trucks. Have just 3 brands and they may survive.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
They probably won't get rid of Buick. It is reported to be very popular in China.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
They probably won't get rid of Buick. It is reported to be very popular in China.
Not only is Buick very popular in China, it is considered one of the hippest cars in the country. By the way, are the G8s selling well? I have not seen many of them....

Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Personally if GM is gonna survive then they need to downsize majorly and that means getting rid of Pontiac, Buick, and GMC trucks. Have just 3 brands and they may survive.
They won't get rid of Buick if for no other reason than the marketing value it has in the China where Buick is one of the most popular marques if not the most popular. Part of its marketing value there is its "American-ness" which would be a tough sell if they aren't even sold in America any more. Besides which Buick still has a pretty well-defined market niche here. I think they'd do well to narrow Pontiac down to performance-oriented cars like the G8 and the Solstice (if the Solstice/Sky survives which it may well not). But they really should stop rebadging Cobalts and Daewoos as Pontiacs. They have diluted the brand image to near-nothing by rebadging decidedly boring cars as Pontiacs. Finally, there's no reason to get rid of GMC -- that's GM's most profitable marque. Besides, Pontiac/Buick dealers would lose half their business if they didn't have GMC trucks on their lots.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Sad.... Pontiac has been around since 1926 and for decades was a very popular car and an imporant make in GMs line up.

Back in the 60s and 70s, Pontiac had tons of models in their lineup.... I have a 1973 Pontiac, so I will use that year as an example...

In 1973, Pontiac models included...
compacts:
Ventura
Ventura Custom
GTO

mid-sized:
LeMans
Grand LeMans
LeMans Safari wagon (available in 6 or 8 passenger versions)
Grand LeMans Safari wagon (available in 6 or 8 passenger versions)
Grand AM (rare)

full-sized:
Catalina
Bonneville
Grand Ville
Grand Prix (2-door personal luxury coupe)
Safari wagon (Catalina wagon) (available in 6 or 9 passenger versions)
Grand Safari wagon (Grand Ville wagon) (available in 6 or 9 passenger versions)

sports/muscle cars:
Firebird (not sure about 73' but at times where was also Firebird Formulas, etc)
Trans AM

The last real "luxury" big Pontiac ended with the last generation of the Bonneville. I guess the G8 is supposed to be the big flagship sedan now and while its a super nice car, its really more of a sports car than a luxury car. Pontiac needs a model again based on the Impala or LaCrosse, or better yet, based on the same chassis as the Buick Lucerne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive