Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times

Advertisements

My temperature gauge turned into a little seismograph a few days ago. I was driving through mountainous roads in WV and Maryland, temperatures near 100, AC blasting, highways speed, and the temperature gauge starts bouncing all over the place. Actually, it never went above it's normal setpoint, but it would bounce around the lower end like crazy. Driving on flat land the last couple of days and everything is normal. I'm thinking there was air in the system that was being measured instead of coolant, but I'm not sure why the extreme demands of that day would cause this. Coolant level is full. Any thoughts as to why, and anything to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Ck your coolant level in the rad not the over flow bottle asap and dead cold........ If that's full, ck the wire connector on the sender. You just may be correct and the unit will not measure air temp, which if it did would show colder.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Make, model, year, condition of the car? Did any other gauges jump around on the mountain road?

Was there a pattern to road conditions and odd gauge readings?

Don't forget that the ground from the engine block to the body is part of the gauge circuit.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ck your coolant level in the rad not the over flow bottle asap and dead cold........ If that's full, ck the wire connector on the sender. You just may be correct and the unit will not measure air temp, which if it did would show colder.
Agree with you. I have a Suzuki Sidekick that did the same as the OP's. The cure was to replace the wire terminal that connects to the temperature sending unit near the thermostat housing. The terminal did not close over the connection point at the sender tight enough (it was loose).

But if for whatever reason the antifreeze fails to make full contact with the temperature gage's sending unit, the temperature drops off. Then it comes up when the hot antifreeze touches the sender once again. So, I would check the antifreeze level first, and make sure that there is no air in the system. A lot of cars have an antifreeze bleed port. The one on my Civic is next to the thermostat housing, and is used to remove all traces of air from the antifreeze.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Mitch is really right. Always start with year make and model.

He is thinking poor ground to the engine maybe as well as a voltage limiter that works the temp and fuel gauges, which on many cars are tied in electricly speaking.

I simply picked the 2 most likey problems.

And yup lots of cars and bikes too have bleeders on the cooling system somewhere. If there has been a loss, and air somehow has entered the system the over flow return bottle may not work at all. It takes a solid liquid for the system to work.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
If you mean abrupt changes then loose wires, etc. seem a likely explanation. If you mean a steady rise followed by a steady drop, correlated with load on the engine...then that's what's really happening.

AC in the mountains on a hot day is a near worst-case for overheating. The only thing worse is pulling a trailer at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive