Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I remember when I was a teenager, a friend of mine's dad had a Camaro. I loved Camaros at the time, but when I found out it was an automatic I lost a lot of respect for him. It just wasn't as bad ass anymore.
Having an automatic in a car like that is not necessarily a capital offense. However, having one just because one is unable to drive a manual might be.

I bought a '67 Mustang that I just had to have despite not knowing how to drive it. I had a 10 minute lesson from the seller and it took me an hour to drive the seven miles home. The next day I filled the tank and learned how to drive on the hills of Pittsburgh. By dinner time I had mastered it.

Basic life skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
No. The reason most manufacturers offer so few manuals is because people stopped buying them, and they just tend to sit on the lots. The market has spoken.

But I think they're basing it too much on the past market. Let's be honest, through the late 70s to mid 90s there were a lot of really crappy cars sold in the US in terms "sportiness". In the past 5 years or so, there have been some great improvements though.

I think it's similar to how the US had the horrible GM diesel cars. It turned a whole generation of car owners off of diesel cars. Meanwhile, Europe and other parts of the world got tons of diesel options.

Maybe not for the average consumer, but I think if car makers offered manual transmissions for the sportier versions of their cars now, they'd have no trouble selling them.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I can drove one for first 6 years or so kina rusty now. Heck I even drove a stick tractor in HS ag

Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I have been driving a stick forever. Many, many years ago, when I lived in 'hill' country, I'd always leave a lot of space with the vehicle in front of me if stopped on a hill at a light or stop sign. Someone asked why I did that and I told them it's 'the roll back' factor. Nobody cares about the roll back because everybody assumes that the car in front of them is automatic. So I stopped leaving so much space when I moved to 'flat' country, until while at a red light I got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. So now I'm back to leaving space after experiencing 'the getting rear ended' factor.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
They DO tend to offer them, that's the thing. But this is recent, trust me, based on numbers from the last decade of sales. Americans buy manuals even less often than they buy hatchbacks Performance models are the exception, provided the company actually HAS a manual transmission that can handle the torque from a performance engine. Which sometimes they don't.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk 2.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post

I remember when I was a teenager, a friend of mine's dad had a Camaro. I loved Camaros at the time, but when I found out it was an automatic I lost a lot of respect for him. It just wasn't as bad ass anymore.
As much as I would feel the same way, I can understand why some older folks get autos. Bad knees and joints. Some of my friends dad's have corvettes or Camaros or mustangs and have automatics due to bad knees.

I had my left knee operated on before. I plan on driving stick as long as I can but I'm sure there will be a time when I'm forced to go automatic only. Who knows...by 2025 manuals might be dead and only in select special models.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM

After driving 6 years stick in So Cal traffic no way anymore. Stick is good for traction control in snow it blows on the 405FWY at 5PM. Besides sticks cost about the same clutches go out after several years $500, auto trans upgrade about $1500 and mine has no rebuild at 213k.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM

364 posts, read 560,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Basic life skill.
Exactly. Just like showing up somewhere when you say you will, and keeping promises you make.

Besides, what happens when the zombie apocalypse hits and your whole family dies because you can't drive the car you found the keys to in the sun visor?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
Exactly. Just like showing up somewhere when you say you will, and keeping promises you make.

Besides, what happens when the zombie apocalypse hits and your whole family dies because you can't drive the car you found the keys to in the sun visor?
Siphon the gas and burn the zombies LOL.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I learned to drive on a stickshift. I think EVERYBODY should be able to drive stick. There's no excuse not to.
I have Asperger's syndrome and some focus issues. I drive well with an automatic, but I can't drive stick. I learned to drive at 19 and I would have been 21 or older had I had to use a stick when I learned. I live in an area where a car is a necessity for any adult, so I really didn't need to be delayed any more. Why learn on a stick when automatics are easily available and safer?

I'm 20, turning 21 on Dec. 25, and have had my license for almost a year. (I got it July 30, 2012). I've never had a ticket or been in a wreck. I chalk some of that up to my automatic. My Asperger's syndrome means that I have difficulty focusing on a lot of things at once. Plus, my 2011 Honda Accord shifts my gears just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive