Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Judgemental, much?

I adore a manual transmission and wish every vehicle I owned had one. I cannot think of a situation where I'd prefer an automatic - traffic, snow, ice, whatever. I think it's a very useful skill, especially if you travel overseas. I do think it makes for better driving skills - but then you'd have to do away with air bags, GPS, antilock brakes, 4WD, heated mirrors and a whole raft of other safety/convenience features, if you want to be consistent.

And I am old enough that I prefer rear-wheel drive (yes, really) and a stick shift in snow and icy conditions, since that is what I learned and still know. But progress marches on, despite my preferences.

Truly it's becoming an anachronistic skill to be able to drive a stick in the US, I don't see what fat, lazy or American has to do with it and I don't quite get the vehemence here. Isn't this sort of like saying microwaves, or cell phones, or indoor plumbing or electricity or the internet, is only for fat lazy Americans?
I must have struck a nerve. Tell me, why is it at the United States is just about the only country where automatic transmissions are the majority? it's because we've become lazy, and stupid. Why bother shifting gears when you can just get a valve body or computer to do it for you!

Sorry, truth hurts. Although, the sequential paddle shift tranny's from F1 are awesome, and still have an actual clutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I only buy manual trans if I can help it and both my current cars are MT... but I'm fat and I have been accused of being lazy too.

Gotta admit that auto trans tech has caught up with MT in virtually all technical aspects (including reliablity), but the bottom line is that the more things a car does for you, the less you are gonna focus on driving and the more likely you are to find yourself in an accident.

Europe's accident rates are much lower than America's... is that because they all drive stick?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I must have struck a nerve. Tell me, why is it at the United States is just about the only country where automatic transmissions are the majority? it's because we've become lazy, and stupid. Why bother shifting gears when you can just get a valve body or computer to do it for you!

Sorry, truth hurts. Although, the sequential paddle shift tranny's from F1 are awesome, and still have an actual clutch.
Again, we agree on our preference for manual transmissions. But we are in the minority, and it's not just that everyone else is fat, lazy and American. I would prefer to drive only RWD, manual trans vehicles for the rest of my life but for practical purposes, the vehicles I need for work and hauling simply do not come with that option.
Manuals are going the way of the Dodo all over the word, sorry to say. Along with RWD, crank windows, landlines and paper maps. It's not just the US. It's everywhere else, including China, the Middle East and Europe. The US is just at the forefront of this trend.

CHINA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DEVELOPMENT - GRC Technology Conference Beijing
Dual Clutch Transmission market trends in Europe - Automotive technology, innovation and engineering
Automotive Transmission Systems (MCP-1182) - Global Industry Analysts, Inc.
Stick-Shift Cars Make Comeback, but Manual Still Doomed | TIME.com
Automotive Industry: Market Research Reports, Statistics and Analysis

Etcetera.

Last edited by chiroptera; 07-23-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default What percent of Americans can drive a stick shift car?

It certainly seems to be a dying art. So few vehicles today (except for trucks and a few sports cars) are even available with a manual transmission. Even then, many if not most of those are automatics.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:

You are completely eFFin tapped...

Or... still in grade school...

Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You are completely eFFin tapped...

Or... still in grade school...
The guy is an idiot.

I'm a lazy, fat, American because I don't want to move my hands to change gears?

I was never taught how to drive a manual....should I just kill myself for this idiot...seriously. The wacko's are on here lately.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Then having ADHD and GAD myself, I think you would like to drive non-peak times? Take good care of any Honda and they go 200k. I may switch from toy to hon both great cars. Driving in CA is hectic but there is really no weather, sans Mammoth, etc. Drive in Denver during blizzard that's exciting and slow same.
Yes. I don't enjoy traffic jams at all

Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Europe's accident rates are much lower than America's... is that because they all drive stick?
Actually, they're not much lower, and in many countries, higher.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...al_Version.pdf

Scroll to page 16 for accident rates, injury rates and fatality rates. The US is actually pretty good.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
I must have struck a nerve.
Yeah, the nerve that hates closed minded fools like yourself. There's more reasons than being lazy to account for why many people like automatics, even those of us that prefer good manuals. But you're too inexperienced, too intolerant, too hateful, and too closed minded to understand them. You seem to think you're some special snowflake for being able to wiggle your left foot occasionally. You're not that special.

BTW, America is the reason for many supercars still having manual trans options, where those cars may only have DSG type automatics in the rest of the world...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
I reluctantly learned how to drive a stick in the city back in 93, and last year I learned in earnest so I could save on gas. I'm not a pro and probably still hard on my clutch, but I'm no longer afraid to drive a stick and feel pretty accomplished that this old dog learned a new trick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive