Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times

Advertisements

Internet Auto Sale Scam Hits the First Coast | Firstcoastnews.com | On Your Side

The victim stated he will never buy from the internet again.

It is a hard lesson in life but never wire money.

Quote:
To minimize your chances of becoming the victim of an internet fraud, the FBI offers these tips:

?Learn as much about the seller as possible before you buy.

?If there's a business address, check it out with the Better Business Bureau.

?If possible, inspect the item before you buy.

?Consider using an escrow or alternative payment service, like Paypal.

?Also, when possible, try using a credit card because you can often dispute the charges, but make sure that the transaction is secured.
craigslist | about > scams

Quote:
* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
If it is too good to be true, it probably is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
It's true. There's a fool born every minute.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
I like to mess with these Nigerian scammers so they believe I am actually going to wire them money. I can not believe someone would fall for this.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I guess if they send out even only 10 e-mails...and we know, it's gotta be more like thousands and thousands...even if they only find one idiot who falls for it...they are that much ahead. Pretty good days work for a scam artist!
Any time we have a car for sale posted anywhere, the "offers" start coming in.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM

164 posts, read 984,714 times
"My bank told me I needed to check into it a little further out before I wired the money, but I didn't," says Porch.
He wired the money, $7,250, and after the truck was never delivered he decided to call Ebay.

DUH HUH, stupid is as stupid does! Verify, Validate, and then check it again.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
A good friend of mine called me last summer asking what she needed to check on a used SeaDoo if they bought some. She had found some online to buy. She told me the story and this woman IS smart so she was kind of like, "something isn't right" so she called me. The guy told her the "items" were in Florida but the picture of them online was clearly in Arizona. The guy told her via email (many were sent back and forth and he ended every one of them with, "God Bless you and your family" ) that the documents were crated up WITH the SeaDoo's and all in storage. I did some digging and found the SAME SeaDoo's pictures on several websites for used boats and pwc's all with different dates for the last few months.

I didn't like the salutation he gave all the time and even put it at the end of his paragraphs to her and below his name. Too much "God stuff" and I'm a Christian. People that are honest just don't feel the need to spout such to try and MAKE people think they are upfront and honest.

The other thing was the many postings of the same picture but even one that was a few months older but a different location and contact name and number.

The other is: Why would ANYONE crate up some SeaDoo's (or ANYTHING for that matter) and PAY to ship it across the country just to sell it and then have to ship it off somewhere else. If he really was upfront he would have left them IN Arizona and just shipped them once from there.

Then, NO ONE EVER PUTS THE DOCUMENTS that show proof of ownership IN THE SHIPPING CRATE!

It was a scam.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
I recently bought a car over the Internet. I was looking for a very specific vehicle and couldn't find what I wanted around here.

The suggestion to "If possible, inspect the item before you buy." I would change to "definitely inspect the item before you buy". In this day and age of cheap(ish) airfare there is no excuse to spend anything more than a $200 plane ticket and visit the vehicle before you decide to plunk down more cash. It may turn out to be a dud, but better to be out the cost of a plane ticket than thousands of dollars...

In my search I ran across a scammer...and if the price is too good to be true, it probably is a scam. Here is an excerpt of my scammer's response email to my simple question about if the car had heated seats:
Quote:
Hi,

I want to tell you that I am not selling this car for profit or due to lack of money. All I can say is that some recent events in my life made me change my perception of certain things, things I've considered important in the past.
This is a charity sell, I will donate the money to a children foundation so the deal must be concluded through a company. Right now I'm in a business trip and I can't meet you to show you the car, but I can send you more pictures and details. I hope that is fine for you. I can ship the car on my expense to your location. If you want to buy the car, send me your full name and delivery address and eBay company will contact you with all the details regarding this transaction ( shipping and payment details ). If you agree with my price and my terms I am ready to reserve the car for you.
The car has clear title. The condition of this car is incredible. The paint is in perfect shape. There are no dings, scratches, damage on the body or rust. This vehicle has been very well maintained and kept both smoke and accident free.
Let me know if you are still interested.
All I had asked was if the car had heated seats - and he sends me all this BS. This car wasn't on eBay; I found it on AutoTrader with a price about $8k lower than comparable cars were selling for (big red flag). Notice how he didn't even address my question? No, I didn't buy it. LOL.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
In my search I ran across a scammer...and if the price is too good to be true, it probably is a scam. Here is an excerpt of my scammer's response email to my simple question about if the car had heated seats:
All I had asked was if the car had heated seats - and he sends me all this BS.

Notice how he didn't even address my question? No, I didn't buy it. LOL.
That one is CLASSIC scam.

Here is his response and some of the flags he gives that this is indeed a scam:

"I want to tell you that I am not selling this car for profit or due to lack of money. All I can say is that some recent events in my life made me change my perception of certain things, things I've considered important in the past.
This is a charity sell, I will donate the money to a children foundation so the deal must be concluded through a company. Right now I'm in a business trip and I can't meet you to show you the car, but I can send you more pictures and details. I hope that is fine for you. I can ship the car on my expense to your location. If you want to buy the car, send me your full name and delivery address and eBay company will contact you with all the details regarding this transaction ( shipping and payment details ). If you agree with my price and my terms I am ready to reserve the car for you.
The car has clear title. The condition of this car is incredible. The paint is in perfect shape. There are no dings, scratches, damage on the body or rust. This vehicle has been very well maintained and kept both smoke and accident free.
Let me know if you are still interested. "

1. Supposedly NOT selling the car "for profit". A bunch of "I'm finding out the real reasons for life" bs.

2. It is ALL for charity. Right A "childrens charity" to tug at heartstrings.

3. Transaction MUST be done thru a "company". uh-huh.

4. They are ALWAYS "out of town". ALWAYS!!!!

5. Offers to "send more pictures". Sure this one can be legit and often times a legit seller has more pictures than can usually be posted online and is willing to send them.

6. Will pay for shipping. Right, cause it ain't gonna be shipped.

7. Asking for name and address and you are barely into ANY negotiations at all. A simple question like, "does this car have heated seats" and they are already labeling it "sold" to you and wanting YOUR info.

8. Offers up that your info is needed for "shipping" details. Haven't even discussed the ins and outs of the car in question.

9. They ALWAYS have a "clear title". Like someone is going to say, "my loan amount balance is......."

10. The items are ALWAYS impeccable and in "brand new" condition. Yep, cause they don't exist so it is hard for them to be "damaged".

------------

There are many legit transactions over the internet involving cars every day. Sometimes that is the only way to get the car out there especially if it is something "different" and not a car one is going to find on half the car dealers lots on any given day.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The guy told her the "items" were in Florida but the picture of them online was clearly in Arizona.
The key or clue to the scam is a Sea Doo in Arizona.

That is like reading an ad like "Snowmobile in Miami, FL" or "Unused food palate in Ethiopia".

The context is not right for the product.

Too bad for the guy who got duped. The internet is great for shopping but you have to do your homework.

Start With Trust -- Start With BBB

Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
Stupid is as stupid does....I'm no longer shocked when I hear another moron has fallen for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive