Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I do like the old MBs, and have been looking at them in the past. The main issue with those is price (for one in good shape) and they don't get especially good gas mileage. But I haven't ruled it out. I am looking around $15k or less, with no rust, and under about 75k miles.

I like hard top for security purposes -- would be worried (justifiably or not) that somebody would slash a soft top to get into it... need to be able to leave it in a parking garage, on a city street overnight, or at the airport for a week without thinking about that.

Someone showed me a green 2001 BMW Z3 just this morning for $10k in good shape. Seems like a reasonable deal, but I am just not into BMWs.
When you're talking about luxury cars, going cheap can turn out to be expensive.
IMO, you should try to get the best example you can, like this one:

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...carolina-29910

That car is damn nice, about as good as it gets. Just gorgeous... I want to buy it for myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
When you're talking about luxury cars, going cheap can turn out to be expensive.
IMO, you should try to get the best example you can, like this one:

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...carolina-29910

That car is damn nice, about as good as it gets. Just gorgeous... I want to buy it for myself!
That is beautiful. Jaguar has designed arguably the prettiest exteriors over the years. They are not known for reliability or electrical systems, though. Unless that model/year was an exception, it would probably spend a lot of time with a specialized mechanic and quickly double or triple the purchase price.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Miatas are classic, but dont have a power top, which turns some people off. But theyre about the best-handling car out there in its price range, and will save you tons of money on the price of the car as well as insurance and gas costs. Go drive one and see what you think, you might get hooked. Theyre great cars. After all, theyre the best selling sports car of all time.
Miatas DO have power tops as an option in the NC series (2006 to 2015). The 2018/2019 ND series doesn't have one, but besides the true convertible, they also have a version with a removable middle section, like the old T-Tops of the 70's and early 80's domestic muscle cars.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
[quote=SpeedyAZ;8327879]Thanks for the opinions everyone, I appreciate it! I did test drive a new Solstice tonight along with a 2006 Cadillac XLR and looked at a couple different models but didn't test drive ('07 Miata, '06 Boxster, and '05 Corvette). My thoughts:

The Miata is too conservative in the design, I just don't car for the looks. I want something with a bit more style. It just didn't do anything for me. OUOTE]

The new ND miata's (2017, 2018, 2019) are completely redesigned from the 2007 NC you looked at. They don't look like the same car AT ALL, because they are not. Some of us have a problem with that, (where is the heritage?) but for you that may be a plus.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That is beautiful. Jaguar has designed arguably the prettiest exteriors over the years. They are not known for reliability or electrical systems, though. Unless that model/year was an exception, it would probably spend a lot of time with a specialized mechanic and quickly double or triple the purchase price.
1996's are WAY better than the earlier ones. Beware of the V12's!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Smooth riding luxury car with a retractable hardtop... this is the easy answer:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This was probably the most reliable car you could buy in the 1st decade of the 21st century.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Smooth riding luxury car with a retractable hardtop... this is the easy answer:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This was probably the most reliable car you could buy in the 1st decade of the 21st century.
Funny you bring that up — I was looking at these and then remembered Top Gear named them the worst car ever, because the car does not fully deliver on anything a buyer would be looking for in this type of vehicle. Probably not a totally accurate conclusion, knowing those guys. I would like to drive one to find out for myself.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:33 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
I do like the old MBs, and have been looking at them in the past. The main issue with those is price (for one in good shape) and they don't get especially good gas mileage. But I haven't ruled it out. I am looking around $15k or less, with no rust, and under about 75k miles.

I like hard top for security purposes -- would be worried (justifiably or not) that somebody would slash a soft top to get into it... need to be able to leave it in a parking garage, on a city street overnight, or at the airport for a week without thinking about that.

Someone showed me a green 2001 BMW Z3 just this morning for $10k in good shape. Seems like a reasonable deal, but I am just not into BMWs.

To me, the above is what a "beater" is for. If you are in the Northeast or Midwest, there are essentially no "rust free" cars there. What you have are some cars where the rust has not yet perforated the body, but, they are all rusty, except the ones that are put away for the winter and NEVER see a salted road. Good luck with that. Rust never sleeps.

Finding a good cheap beater that will stay cheap could be a topic for a fair-sized book. You just about have to be a decent DIY mechanic to recognize one. This is just about impossible to do in rust country.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To me, the above is what a "beater" is for. If you are in the Northeast or Midwest, there are essentially no "rust free" cars there. What you have are some cars where the rust has not yet perforated the body, but, they are all rusty, except the ones that are put away for the winter and NEVER see a salted road. Good luck with that. Rust never sleeps.

Finding a good cheap beater that will stay cheap could be a topic for a fair-sized book. You just about have to be a decent DIY mechanic to recognize one. This is just about impossible to do in rust country.
Agreed. For a good 80s MB, I would be looking elsewhere in the country than the salt belt. By “rust free,” what I mean is free from imminent rust-through. I don’t really want a beater.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Funny you bring that up — I was looking at these and then remembered Top Gear named them the worst car ever, because the car does not fully deliver on anything a buyer would be looking for in this type of vehicle. Probably not a totally accurate conclusion, knowing those guys. I would like to drive one to find out for myself.
That's because they don't like cruisers. They want sport and the SC doesn't have any.
I don't trust reviews of non-sport luxury cars. Something like the SC needs to be test driven.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-12-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive