Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times

Advertisements

So, after a year of trying to decide what the next vehicle will be, and only about 3 months left before I seriously need to start looking, I've narrowed it down to 2 vehicles.

Opinions on the Wrangler and Miata?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Two totally different vehicles in terms of reliability and the type of transportation you're getting.

The Miata is a capable little two-seater with a stellar record of reliability and durability. A bit short on cargo space, but if it meets your needs, it's a pretty good little car. Note that these have really held their resale value in the marketplace, which suggests a very good service life in these even as they age and get miles on them.

The Wrangler is targeted to it's off-road capability, and it's a very poor road vehicle for the dollar compared to other cars at it's price point. It's also saddled with a track record of abysmally poor reliability and durability. If you check the CR's annual auto issue, you'll find that this vehicle is the lowest ranked ... by far ... vehicle in the USA marketplace. Unless you have a specific need for it's off-road capability for your commute, it's not a good choice. Even at that, it's outranked in off-roading ability by other vehicles. They have a very loyal following of folks, but they're mostly vanity drivers. When we're up in the hills around here for ranching or hunting, we don't see very many of these vehicles except for the older CJ series that have been lovingly preserved just for the few trips they make into the hills each year. There's far better vehicles around for daily drivers in adverse weather conditions, too.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
For me it'd be the Wrangler. No question. But that's based on nothing more than the fact that I would personally prefer the Jeep.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,630,087 times
I have a 2008 Wrangler and LOVE it! It's my daily driver. I have absolutely NO regrets and I also feel that Consumer Reports is highly biased AGAINST anything American made.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Well, just to be Joe Rational, tell us about how you would use the car, what you expect it to do. To offer an intellegent opinion, need to know where you live, both region and if it's rural or urban. How capable a DIY mechanic are you?

Although, Sunsprit has pretty well nailed the answer - it would take a pretty bizarre location and driving cycle to make the Wrangler the better choice.

Are you sure you don't want to split the difference and get, say, a WRX?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I have a 2008 Wrangler and LOVE it! It's my daily driver. I have absolutely NO regrets and I also feel that Consumer Reports is highly biased AGAINST anything American made.
CR isn't biased, but it is geared towards the typical driver, not the enthusiast.

CR is correct that Wranglers are an awful choice for the typical driver. It is a fun car with a rabid following, but it takes a certain kind of person to really appreciate it. CR is geared more towards the hauling-around-kids-and-groceries set.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,660 times
If you want to carve corners, get the Miata. if you want to carve a path through the widerness, choose the Wrangler.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So, after a year of trying to decide what the next vehicle will be, and only about 3 months left before I seriously need to start looking, I've narrowed it down to 2 vehicles.

Opinions on the Wrangler and Miata?
WOW, Mrs . . . another Apples and Oranges comparison request.

Considering all of the Positives and Negatives of your Final Two, the Wrangler wins hands down. More space and more practical over the Miata.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
CR isn't biased, but it is geared towards the typical driver, not the enthusiast.

CR is correct that Wranglers are an awful choice for the typical driver. It is a fun car with a rabid following, but it takes a certain kind of person to really appreciate it. CR is geared more towards the hauling-around-kids-and-groceries set.
Actually, I'm not particularly impressed with CR either. Several years ago I read one of their "side by side" comparisons of microwaves. They rated one at the very top of their list and the other at the bottom, but both were actually the exact same microwave made by the same company. They just had different names on them.

That said... Back on topic. I think it REALLY depends on how you intend to drive the vehicle. A Miata and Wrangler are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT vehicles.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Ok, mostly interstate driving. 200 miles a day. I'm looking for something fun. I've driven both types of vehicles and enjoyed them both. Just going from home to Nashville, which is about 2 hours northwest of home.

I've got an Eclipse GT that I gave my daughter, but she's terrified of it. Says it has too much power, so she wants my Stratus. Gag. So, I'll have the Eclipse back as an occasional driver, only because of the vast number of mechanical problems that it always seems to have. 12 grand in 18 months worth of mechanical problems as a matter of fact. And I wondered why they sold it so cheap.

No kids will be in the vehicle, just me to and from work. Very seldom do I do any shopping, so cargo space isn't a big deal.

Not a mechanical person at all, but I've got a phenomenal mechanic.

I live in the mountains but we've got paved roads, so off road isn't really anything I'd do. Roads are kept well salted in the winter too, so I really don't have extreme weather to deal with. Maybe running out to the back pasture or something in it if I got the Wrangler. If I got the Miata though I've got an Explorer that does just fine in the pastures. Had it out there Saturday as a matter of fact hauling more rock down to the stream.

I'm just looking for something I'll enjoy and have fun driving. I figure if I spend as much time driving to and from work as most people do at a part time job, I might as well like my vehicle, and I haven't like mine since giving up the Eclipse.

ETA: Which ever I choose must have a 5 speed manual tranny. I despise automatic, so if that is going to make a difference either way, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive