Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Mathguy, the problem with going right away on green is that you are trusting other drivers to do the right thing, to successfully not run the red light (I word it that way because some lights have an adequate yellow interval and some don't, some stay red all 4 ways for a second and some don't - so the friendly local traffic engineer may be helping them screw up...).
Yeah, I used to work with someone who was hit by someone running a red light. Their car was totaled and the other driver tried to run away from the scene. The reason he ran it was that he was late for work. So because he was late for work, someone else got their car totaled and was injured for a long time.

Realize that over 100 people die every day on US roads, and over 2 million are injured every year. That's just in the US. So there's a 1 in 150 chance each year someone will be injured. Those are high odds.

Quote:
In Germany for example (where they do indeed go faster than is allowed here!) you actually have to learn how to drive to be allowed to drive on the public roads - what a concept. And when I was there in 1995, rented a 316i for a week, yes I did indeed cruise 100 MPH on the Autobahn, but was much less stressed than in typical American traffic, because the number of bonehead moves being made was vanishingly small.
Yes, most people are not very good drivers, nor do they seem to care about safety. Here's an article discussing drivers in other countries.

ABCNEWS.com : Why Are U.S. Drivers So Bad?

There's a huge difference between following the rules and practicing safe driving, just like there's a reason for required features on a car like brake lights and turn signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM

215 posts, read 607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In fairness, I'd rather have this guy driving around than....

-talks on cell phone
-drifts into other lanes while adjusting stereo\AC or digging through glove box
-plods along in file in slow lane...will not make room for merging traffic by getting over or creating spacing.

I *NEVER* use my cell phone while driving...no talking...no texting.
I don't ever drive impaired.
I go right away on green...why is this my bad? Isn't it the fault of someone else running a red light?
I drive fast on the interstate occasionally...sometimes REALLY fast if no one else is around but my car can handle that no problem.
In town I will go maybe 39 in a 35 zone and typically get tailgated for doing so. I will go maybe 52 in a 45 if that is a safe speed considering conditions.

My last close call was a gal on her cell phone that almost rear-ended me. Prior to that it was an old guy in a caddy that essentially ran me off onto the shoulder by camping the slow lane where the merge is very short...he was also on a cell phone.
What has talking on the cell phone or listening to blairing radio, etc have to do with being safe? I for one think those stupid laws wanting to ban texting/talking while driving is just that, stupid. Granted, I don't think you should do it, but still it's just stupid to ban them. I'm not really sure why, I just think it is. Call me stupid for thinking so, but whatever.

Quote:
And caution makes a good point too, that really in the US driver's licenses are passed out like candy, if you show up to the test, can remember how far to park from a fire plug long enough to take the test, are not blind in both eyes, and can drive around the block without committing a ticketable offense or causing a wreck, you get one. Compare to a pilot's license or particularly a nuclear power plant operator's license. In Germany for example (where they do indeed go faster than is allowed here!) you actually have to learn how to drive to be allowed to drive on the public roads - what a concept. And when I was there in 1995, rented a 316i for a week, yes I did indeed cruise 100 MPH on the Autobahn, but was much less stressed than in typical American traffic, because the number of bonehead moves being made was vanishingly small.
I have something to say to this, but since I'm not that good with words I'll just forget it. But I think the Autobahn should come over here and replace our beltline. Granted, my car will probably fall apart going 100+, it already shakes to hell going 80ish. But still, we should have the right to go as fast as we want on the beltline at least.

Oh, and today coming home from lunch there was this couple driving a freaken Dodge Charger HEMI and they're literally going 25 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Is there not something wrong with that? People like that should NOT BE ON THE ROAD driving if they're going to go ****en 20 MPH UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT. I would expect someone in a nice muscle car like that going at least 15 over the limit. Then again, that's just me thinking.

Again, I hope I never meet any of y'all on the road as you'll probably kill me for what I do.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
If your car shakes doing 80, meeting any of us on the road so we can slow you down a bit is the least of your worries.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I'm all for a re-evaluation of stupidly low (deliberately low) speed limits on certain highways and most of the interstate system. But only if we also toughen up licensing standards to keep loose nuts like the OP off our streets.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 AM

215 posts, read 607,230 times
There is only one road I know of, well know of but don't know the name of it that has a 70 MPH speed limit. And I'm no nut, I drive fine. I just don't follow the blinker laws, etc. Nothing says speeding means you are a nut driving.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Everyone speeds from time to time, including myself and usually all the time. Over the years, I've noticed that most speed limits are set too low. On surface streets, they're about 5 to 10 mph too low, excluding school zones. I'm always at least 5 mph over the speed limit on surface streets and 10 to 15 over on interstates. There is a stretch of 4-lane divided highway near where I live with no residences or business for a couple of miles and the speed limit is 25! It's illogic like this that turns normal drivers into law breakers. Tell me this isn't setup to be a speed trap.

What really gets me is how arbitrarily speed limits are posted. In Illinois, the interstate speed limit for cars is 65 mph. Yet I can cross the border to some other states, and the speed limit goes to 70, yet the area is just as rural as what I left behind. I don't see where the state I just crossed into has any lower risk where a higher speed limit is allowed. Either the state with the higher speed limit is just using more common sense or my home state of Illinois is just a bunch of control freaks who believe that the answer to safety is slowing everybody down and issuing more tickets.

As for lights being required in the rain during the day, I'm not sure that helps much. If I can't see the other car without lights, perhaps I shouldn't be driving on that day or need to get my eyes checked out. I think this is more a feel-good law than anything else.

My biggest complaint is that it is way too easy to get a driver's license. While I'm not a fan of how things are done in Europe, I like their stricter standards to get a license. If people used common sense and considered driving a 100% full time job without trying to multi-task, road accidents and incidents would be dramatically reduced. If drivers had more skills, traffic laws wouldn't have to be so restrictive. I've noticed that when I do high speed blasts well beyond the speed limit, my attention is strictly focused on the task at hand - I turn the radio off, close the windows so as to have the minimum amount of distracting noise and do nothing but drive. Under these conditions since you are not being distracted, I believe that driving can be safer since you have no choice but to strictly focus your attention. The ABC article points out how during high speed driving in Germany, drivers don't engage in distracting activities.

I frequently don't use seatbelts, but that's my personal decision. Just because a law is on the books, doesn't make it right. I know it puts me at more risk, but it is a risk I'm willing to accept. Life will never be 100% safe.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
There is only one road I know of, well know of but don't know the name of it that has a 70 MPH speed limit. And I'm no nut, I drive fine. I just don't follow the blinker laws, etc. Nothing says speeding means you are a nut driving.
If you drive consisently above the spped limits which are set for safety and for traffic flow then you are a danger to others. If you were to actaully get caught then they would suspend you licanse to drive.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Wow. I can't believe some of these posts. Do some of you actually think headlights in the rain are to help you see better? As some have pointed out, it makes it easier for the other drivers to see you

And Bryce, may I ask how many years of driving experience do you have? I think I already know the answer.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
dends on the freeway I do 10-15 over on main roads 5 over or too keep up with the flow of traffic

Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you drive consisently above the spped limits which are set for safety and for traffic flow then you are a danger to others. If you were to actaully get caught then they would suspend you licanse to drive.

That's where you are wrong. They are set to maximize revenue, not for safety and traffic flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive