Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Do shops, maybe especially chains, take the public by recommending rebuilds when partial work would do?

What do you consider a likely mileage limit to need a rebuild? REalizing make/model may affect this, but: 100k - 125k - 150+? Of course someone's Aunt Fanny has a car with 250 that's never needed work.. but what's average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
There is no average mileage a transmission will last. It all depends on how it was used, and how it was maintained.
Under ideal conditions a transmission can last 150-200k miles. If you pull a heavy overloaded trailer and drive like a fool, it may die at 40 or under.
I maintained a large fleet. We serviced the AT's every 20k miles, and most all of the cars lasted until we sold them off, well over 100k. Our Police cars, which obviously got trementiously hard use, it wasn't uncommon to replace them at 50-60k miles. Usually by the time we reached 70-90k, the whole car was a smoldering heap, and they were serviced end to end every 30 days, so how a vehicle is driven makes all the difference on how long any component will last...
Heat is the enemy of transmission fluid. Drive like a normal human being, service the trans at the proper mileage, and it will last a very long time.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
As far as shops recommending un-needed work, like every profession, there are good guys, and bad guys, and a lot in between.
It's always best to find an independent shop you can trust, form a relationship, and use them until the day you die. Just like you would a doctor or accountant, stay with them, don't be jumping around trying to find a cheaper price. Being cheap and cutting corners can be very expensive...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Most automatic transmissions have to come out of the car for major work, there is not that much you can do with the trans in the car. For example the AT in a 2nd generation Camry, you can change the fluid, you can clean the intake screen, you can get the valve body out, pretty much in this order by taking the pan off the bottom of the transola.

Beyond that, it's got to come out of the car, once it's out, you might as well swap it for a reman, rebuild it thoroughly, or exchange it for a used unit from a junkyard.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Donn 2390 nailed it. Heat, exacerbated by dirty fluid is the killer. When I was driving 50K plus miles per year I always had my fluid changed at about 35K-40K intervals, every 7th oil change. I usually kept my "company" cars 3 to 5 years and the last tranny "failure" I experienced was in my '78 Caprice, inherently bad tranny in those puppies and the hint of a lawsuit got the dealer to eat 99% of the charges, it was a "hidden warranty".

Since we now only put 10-12K per year on our cars and keep them about 7-8 years we don't expect to ever have a bad tranny.

golfgod

Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Do not do any "partial" transmission anything. You will regret it. I also don't recommend rebuilding a transmission.

True story:

Back in 2001 or thereabouts I had a 96 Sebring that I bought from a used car lot. Being that it was the first car that I actually enjoyed, it was an impulse purchase that I later regretted - didn't test drive it or anything. It started going into limp mode when I would drive it for extended periods. I didn't know that the limp mode (where it sits in what feels like first gear) was effectively a safety measure telling me that the transmission was going bad so I could get it serviced. At the time I wasn't making any kind of good money, and the job was essentially at the top of a mountainous region. You can imagine how much pain that car went through.

Anyway, one day I was driving home on the freeway, about 65. Got to a bridge, heard and felt a loud CLUNK and my entire front end went down. Then a loud grinding noise, presumably against the street. I skidded for quite a bit and managed to get it over to the left side of the road. Turns out the transmission completely failed, and I think even disconnected from the car somehow. I was going to get a replacement transmission from a junk yard, one from a newer car with less mileage and a better chance of being top notch, but my father yelled at me about having a shop do it. So we took it to this rundown shop, they rebuilt it.

The car was never the same after that. It would catch when coming to stops, engine reving, etc. It never broke down again, but it just wasn't the same.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
key problem words: "rundown shop"

Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
key problem words: "rundown shop"
and "Sebring".

Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Shop doesn't matter. Point is, replace it. Don't fix it.

And the Sebring is reliable if taken care of. It wasn't always, no. But the build quality was tremendously improved starting with the 2000 models.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

17 posts, read 43,996 times
All transmissions have components that are designed to wear out, mainly clutches and brakes, within 50k-250K miles depending on the severity of use. Anything other than a rebuilt unit is gambling. Change your fluid (and filter if possible) often enough to flush out the clutch material and other debris and keep going till something feels wrong.

If you take pride in your car are going to have your transmission rebuilt make sure you fix it early before the hard parts start going and you end up with a basket case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive