Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 35,054 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My 2004 Toyota Camry (237,000 miles) got a flat tire. On changing, one of the studs broke off and tow truck guy told me a second also needed replacing. Went to get new tires and studs fixed. Labor charge for removing and replacing studs was 2 hours.

From reading other threads it looks like 1 hour is plausible for replacing 1, but am guessing that doesn't equal 2 hours for 2 on the same wheel?

Have already paid for that, but it affects my inclination to trust their recommendation for further work:

Was told alignment issue was culprit in the flat tire- could see excess wear on inner tires- so had alignment checked. They said they had improved it but I would need to bring the car back another day for front alignment adjuster for camber problem. Was quoted approx $200 ($20 for parts, rest for labor. I'm in the Bay Area.)

Advice?

Given high mileage and low resale value of the car we're wary of spending too much on it. However having now invested in new tires, I don't want to skimp on a fix that will significantly extend their life.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 AM

4 posts, read 36,425 times
When a stud breaks off, you have to remove the remaining part of the stud that is in the wheel hub - this can be quite a tricky job, especially on an older car with corrosion etc.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
In around 99% of all vehicles, if the mechanic knows how to do it quickly, he can punch out the old broken stud and slip in the new one from the backside and using a puller, pull it through without removing anything.

Be There And Done This Many Times !!!!!!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
In around 99% of all vehicles, if the mechanic knows how to do it quickly, he can punch out the old broken stud and slip in the new one from the backside and using a puller, pull it through without removing anything.

Can't pull out a stud that's been broken off completely inside the hub, and getting a bolt extractor or drilling it out can take a lot of time, in addition to possibly having to repair the threads afterwards.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-tops View Post
Hi,

My 2004 Toyota Camry (237,000 miles) got a flat tire. On changing, one of the studs broke off and tow truck guy told me a second also needed replacing. Went to get new tires and studs fixed. Labor charge for removing and replacing studs was 2 hours.

From reading other threads it looks like 1 hour is plausible for replacing 1, but am guessing that doesn't equal 2 hours for 2 on the same wheel?

Have already paid for that, but it affects my inclination to trust their recommendation for further work:

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
The quotes seems reasonable. Broken studs can take far longer than two hours to remove in some cases, so count yourself as lucky. I think what they are quoting is a fair price.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
If it has rotor screws like Hondas... I could see 2hrs.
Once they get rusty... royal pain.... at least for a DIY'er

Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM

215 posts, read 350,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post

Exactly. The stud can esily be punched out and a new one installed without any trouble for even a novice mechanic. Been there too.
It could take two hours for someone without the proper tools though.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM

231 posts, read 381,770 times
Some mechanics have a minimum labor charge of two hours.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
OP, 2 suggestions:

1. Yes, for those who do NOT know Japanese cars, replacing a broken stud stem is "punch it out easy job". As on some cars, there is a provision made in dust shield/hub for that. Last time I saw a car like this was long time ago. What you have on modern Japanese makes with FWD is stud is actually mounted into the hub itself. Into hub bearing, to be correct. So to replace stud, one must take entire bearing out. Sometimes, one must replace entire bearing, as there is no way to pull stud out, as it's factory pressed in. Before you chew the shop, find out, what it took to do the job.

2. Oh, the infamous Toyota camber thing. Guess what. Toyota chose NOT to provide any camber adjustment provisions on their cars. I have 07 Camry with same issue, son has 06 Scion tC, same issue. What shop will do, they will install "camber bolt kit", $80 or so charge, plus re-alignment. Plus tax, you end up in $200. I know, as Les Schwab wanted to do same to my Camry.
Camber bolt kit is around $27 any parts store and take about 10 minutes to install with proper tools, mostly - good impact wrench. Also, takes specific knowledge on how to do it right, as you can a) do it wrong and b) not only do it wrong but, also, bust your strut suspension driving.
But if you had it installed yourself, doing camber thereafter is about a 2 minute job with a $7 tool from Home Depot.

Here's my post on it:

Rear struts install 07 TCH - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

and if you scroll though the pics, you can see the tool:

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/ukr...%20replacement

Camber bolts easy to Google.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Without seeing how the stud was broken, how much corrosion there was and other details, hard to say if that was accurate or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive