Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That is illegal, and no shop would touch such an assignment, and chance losing their license, and perhaps some jail time..
Sure, it's illegal, but people with performance cars have been doing it for ages now with no problem. I pulled the cats off my Mustang GT and replaced it with an off road H-pipe within 2 weeks of ownership, and in 5 years I've never even had a cop look at the car with the stink eye...even with the 2 chamber Flowmasters.

Almost any exhaust shop will do this as well. Midas did the same mod on my good friends GT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
He'd be much better off getting an after market Catalytic.

And that would be my advice to the original poster get an after market Catalytic Converter. Actually they are much cheaper than what your mechanic quoted. Google it online. Installation should be no more than $150 and even at that price they are making a decent profit.
That leads to the point about getting what you pay for.

An aftermarket cat might not have enough material in it to do a good enough job that the engine computer likes that enough.

Or someone is having a fire sale on palladium and platinum that we don't know about.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Almost any exhaust shop will do this as well. Midas did the same mod on my good friends GT.
You ask a muffler shop in California to do something like that, and they will not only show you the door, but they will lead you to it and kick your butt out in a quick hurry.
They can lose their license to operate, the length of time depending on how serious and how many illegal operations they have preformed, and if serious enough, they will do jail time.
There are "Anti-tampering" laws in this and most states. I'd be amazed if that doesn't hold true in Florida, also. If the laws are lax in Florida, that will soon be changing, so enjoy it while you can..!
Florida sees the light - adopts California's emission standards
Of course no cop checked you out, that isn't their duty. Shops get caught when one of several agencies send in a test car to a shop to see if they are performing illegal acts. The state published a report every month, listing the people caught, and the fines and jail time for the infractions.
As far as the customer getting caught, they will get caught in the bi-annual smog check program. If you want to take of and re-install your converters every bother year, go for it. It's much easier to just obey the law...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
There are "Anti-tampering" laws in this and most states. I'd be amazed if that doesn't hold true in Florida, also. If the laws are lax in Florida, that will soon be changing, so enjoy it while you can..!
Florida sees the light - adopts California's emission standards
As long as there is no vehicle inspection, I'm not too worried about it. The manufactures can decrease the emissions all they want from the factory as long as we have the thriving aftermarket to supply us with the parts we need.

Quote:
As far as the customer getting caught, they will get caught in the bi-annual smog check program. If you want to take of and re-install your converters every bother year, go for it.
None of that here in Florida, so no worries there. Even then, replacing the mid pipe is a few bolts and hour or so of time spent.

Quote:
It's much easier to just obey the law...
Yeah, but it makes less horsepower.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
If it needs a new catalytic converter at only 90K miles, that often indicates there's something else wrong upstream causing too much unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust stream such as insufficient spark or loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders -- presuming the "bad cat" diagnosis is accurate. You should look into that or you may be replacing your cat again soon.

Also, you should be able to pick up an aftermarket catalytic converter for WAY under $500. I recently found a direct-bolt-on replacement for my Volkswagen for $150. Be careful of the "generic" replacement cats though; those usually require some customizing to get them to fit the original exhaust hardware. Make sure it's a direct bolt-on replacement specifically for your year, make and model.

If you're concerned about passing emissions with an aftermarket cat, many have an emissions warranty for a certain period, typically 25,000 miles or so.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
That is illegal, and no shop would touch such an assignment, and chance losing their license, and perhaps some jail time..
Pfft. Shops do stuff like this all the time.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pfft. Shops do stuff like this all the time.
That may be true, Chicago isn't in California...

Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 AM

45,418 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
That may be true, Chicago isn't in California...
Or MD.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

120 posts, read 715,310 times
Thanks for your input folks.

It seems the economical approach I can take is to buy a DIRECT-FIT after market converter and get it installed. So, my doubt is which one should I buy ? I see cats of many many companies listed on the net. Which one should I go with ?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Before you decide you have the right answer to the problem, are you certain that the cat is actually bad, not just O2 sensors? I can easily beleive your original O2 sensor(s) are needing replacement at 90K, but I personally have an 87 Camry with the original cat still working very well at 225K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive