Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
What about an Infiniti G35/G37? I really like the 4 door ones, They ride nice, have a lot of get up and go, lots of options. Especially on the G35 Sedans, you can find great deals on used ones.
I like the G35 coupe my co-worker bought one and he is really happy with it the fit and finish is amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
What about an Infiniti G35/G37? I really like the 4 door ones, They ride nice, have a lot of get up and go, lots of options. Especially on the G35 Sedans, you can find great deals on used ones.
The G35 is an excellent car to consider. Nissan 350Z underpinnings with a more practical body and gentler chassis.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
As a former Audi owner, I think the A4 is a good car, especially considering the price on good used examples with low miles. I've seen appointed A4s with 20k miles selling for $20k recently. Audi had a period of poor reliability in the 90s to early 2000s, but any Audi from 2004 on has better reliability.

Reliability is an interesting thing - the more bells and whistles on a car, the more things to break or need fixing. Mechanically, all cars are pretty much the same, but lux cars like Audis have more technical features than most and these minor repairs can effect reliability studies that don't outline the types of repairs being made. Overall, The A4 is a car I would look at personally - Audis just have the nicest interiors out there. The Lexus IS is also a good car to look at if you want a car with high reliability. Acuras are basically rebadged Hondas - good if you want a fancy Accord.

Warranties are misunderstood in my opinion - they are to cover new parts from premature failure within a set of time, not to last forever. Buying used cars saves you more money than any warranty since you can save tens of thousands of dollars by buying cars with plenty of life in them. Warranties don't guarantee reliability, just cover the costs of repairs and parts, and usually any warranty work is handled by the original owner. If not, most 3-yr old used cars can be bought CPO'd from dealers with additional warranties that last longer than factory. Your best bet is getting a low mileage car, as reliability drops as mileage increases. Of course, these days, 150k miles is pretty easy for any car to achieve.
I think you undersell the difference with Acura vs. Honda. Yes there are common platforms, but in every case the Acura "derivative" has a different engine, different body, suspension changes (some significant) and significant interior upgrades. The MDX is nothing like the Pilot. The TSX is based on the European Accord. The MDX, RDX, and TL have or offer SH-AWD, not available on any Honda.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
I am biased toward European cars, but I have never had one out of warranty, and doubt I ever will. If you are already looking pre-owned, and want to keep it for a while, then IMO a certified TL is hard to beat. Fantastic sound system, updated navigation system, and all the little luxuries you are looking for. Sporty, but not too sporty. The style of the 2004-2008 model is arguably the best Honda/Acura has come up with in a sedan, and reliability is top notch.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

175 posts, read 671,712 times
First I want to thank everybody. The quality advice in the majority of suggestions truely reflect everything that is helpful and useful about this forum. I've taken quite a few notes. Thank you!

The responses have also led me to a few more questions...

Several people have referred to the Acura as a "rebadged" Honda and (unless I misinterpet) sometimes the reference seems lightly tinged with disdain. Is an Acura exactly like a Honda only more expensive, or is it a souped up luxury version of a Honda therefore warranting a higher pricetag?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Saab?

And finally, (and perhaps this should be another thread altogether), does anyone have any experience with CarMax? Good, bad, otherwise?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
Go with Buick, they are highly ranked when it comes to reliability (tied for first place with Lexus). Shouldn't cost nearly as much as an import to maintain and insure.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
I have purchased two later model vehicles from Car Max.

I could have saved a little money on the open used market (perhaps) but in both cases happened to find the specific model and year I wanted, both with very low miles, at Car Max and had them moved to a location near me (for a reasonable fee).

Their business model works. If you are bargain hunting though, go somewhere else and be prepared to wait it out.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misueno View Post
First I want to thank everybody. The quality advice in the majority of suggestions truely reflect everything that is helpful and useful about this forum. I've taken quite a few notes. Thank you!

The responses have also led me to a few more questions...

Several people have referred to the Acura as a "rebadged" Honda and (unless I misinterpet) sometimes the reference seems lightly tinged with disdain. Is an Acura exactly like a Honda only more expensive, or is it a souped up luxury version of a Honda therefore warranting a higher pricetag?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Saab?

And finally, (and perhaps this should be another thread altogether), does anyone have any experience with CarMax? Good, bad, otherwise?
I love Saab's. Especially, the 9-5 Aero. I would not recommend them for reliability though. I used to work for the Saab dealership in Phoenix back in 1993. They told me that they are not cheap to work on. Back in that time, the engines were actually facing backwards. I do not know if that is the case anymore.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
There are significant differences between an Acura and a Honda. It's not a case of some new sheet metal, a badge, and a leather seat to make the difference -- engines are not shared, nor are the driving characteristics of the vehicles. There are no corporate twins between Acura-Honda for the North American market, and the only one that comes close is the TSX that is sold as an Accord outside of North America, since the North American Accord is much larger. Acuras are not sold worldwide, but are a product focused on the USA, Candada, Mexico, Russia, China (Hong Kong was an original market), and are to be introduced in Japan.

Saab is a quirky vehicle, and the GM years were not kind to the line-up. Some Saabs do have long-term reliabililty issues, and the materials used on the interior of the 9-3, in particular, seem very cheap for a vehicle in its price category. Saab also does not hold resale value very well. The new 9-5 does seem to be moving in the right direction, as someone I know with one loves it, and it is a vast improvement over their last 9-5, but this is a die-hard Saab enthusiast, having only owned Saabs since they were able to drive.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
A car not normally considered but one of the very best built, easy to drive, and the best for long trips I've ever rode in is the Mercury Grand Marquis. High 26-28 mpg, and rides like a dream. My parents have owned 2 of them, and I can not figure out why more people don't even look at them. One of the very few cars that a 600 mile trip one way is not tiring in!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive