Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
One has to be smart enough to add/subtract and read to find the best product for their need no matter what the "experts" say. Quoting the "experts" isn't really that much help compared to experienced based answers one can find on forums like CD.
Really? hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Quote:
One has to be smart enough to add/subtract and read to find the best product for their need no matter what the "experts" say. Quoting the "experts" isn't really that much help compared to experienced based answers one can find on forums like CD.
Alrighty then...

Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Nah, not really. I watch the load per tire which with x-load tires is over 2000 lbs per tire so x 4= over 8000 lbs which is plenty on my 6500lbs Suburban. If I put LT tire's on the Sub my mpg and ride would go all to hell for no gain at all since I don't tow over 2000lbs. However, "if" I towed upwards of 6000 lb loads the Sub would need 6 ply sidewall "c" range LT tires. It's all in how you use and what you do with your vehicle 90% of the time.

Experienced based answer ahead: You are running under rated tires on your 'burb.

I have driven Suburbans for years and bought one from somebody that told me the exact same thing just just posted. He was running the XL version of a passenger tire and I couldn't believe how sloppy the ride was. Spend the extra few dollars and get the right tire for your application.

Plus are you 100% positive that your particular Suburban is weighted perfectly and that the entire 6500 pounds are evenly distributed between the tires? I KNOW mine are not, none of them I have owned have been. Have you had the 'Burb weighed in the condition you drive it with you, your passengers and your gear in it and with it loaded as you drive it? If not, and you want to continue to skimp on cheap tires and drive on roads that other innocent people are using, please do and the results may surprise you. I know my results surprised me. Mine actually weighed 7200# without anything in it, and the tanks full. It is over 8000# with me and all passengers in it. ZERO excess with the XL tires, in fact under tired with them even in perfect condition. As for ridw quality, you drive a Suburban, not a Caddy. If you wanted a rolling easy ride, buy the correct vehicle, don't put undersized tires on a large vehicle so they give you that washed out feeling.

Last edited by Bydand; 07-14-2009 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I drove trucks and SUvs for years. One of the best suv and truck tires I found is the Uniroyal Lerao cross country. Especailly if you most drive on teh highway. Ita god riding and very quite tire that is reasonably price and wears well. Too many truck tries are just too nosiey after 10000 miles becasue of poor thread design. I learn of them from other truck ;SUv owners and whne aI bouhgt them at a tire dealers he told me he though tthey were the perfect mostly highway trucks tires.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Experienced based answer ahead: You are running under rated tires on your 'burb.

I have driven Suburbans for years and bought one from somebody that told me the exact same thing just just posted. He was running the XL version of a passenger tire and I couldn't believe how sloppy the ride was. Spend the extra few dollars and get the right tire for your application.

Plus are you 100% positive that your particular Suburban is weighted perfectly and that the entire 6500 pounds are evenly distributed between the tires? I KNOW mine are not, none of them I have owned have been. Have you had the 'Burb weighed in the condition you drive it with you, your passengers and your gear in it and with it loaded as you drive it? If not, and you want to continue to skimp on cheap tires and drive on roads that other innocent people are using, please do and the results may surprise you. I know my results surprised me. Mine actually weighed 7200# without anything in it, and the tanks full. It is over 8000# with me and all passengers in it. ZERO excess with the XL tires, in fact under tired with them even in perfect condition. As for ridw quality, you drive a Suburban, not a Caddy. If you wanted a rolling easy ride, buy the correct vehicle, don't put undersized tires on a large vehicle so they give you that washed out feeling.
Poppycock! My 'Burb came with Michelin passenger car tires x-load. It really is a shame that you feel that you must respond as you did to prove you're right since it was not necessary nor helpful.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
As a truck owner, I would say never get anything less than the C-load rated tires (for any truck or SUV) and make sure they are at the least, 'LT's, not 'P's. 'LT' stands for light truck, 'P' stands for 'passenger car', for those who didnt already know this. There is a difference in the performance...and the wear.
Walmart tires? Not here!!
Another thing, if you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, you might consider the tires that are meant for that. The knobby treads might make that 'whine' as you drive on a highway, but they sure tolerate a lot more than ordinary tires would, and were made for rocky, bumpy driving.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
For a Honda CRV, which essentially a car, I'd try out some Michelin Hydroedge tires. Being the top-of-the-line Michelin, they are a little pricey ($150ish each) but are the best-balanced tire I've ever used. They have a 90,000 mile warranty and if rotated properly, I wouldn't doubt they'd last 100,000 on a Honda (or Toyota). You may even gain 0.5-1 mpg vs some stinky off-brand. I'm sold on these and won't use anything else.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
For a Honda CRV, which essentially a car, I'd try out some Michelin Hydroedge tires. Being the top-of-the-line Michelin, they are a little pricey ($150ish each) but are the best-balanced tire I've ever used. They have a 90,000 mile warranty and if rotated properly, I wouldn't doubt they'd last 100,000 on a Honda (or Toyota). You may even gain 0.5-1 mpg vs some stinky off-brand. I'm sold on these and won't use anything else.
Very good info for the OP to consider. if they do any towing then the X-load tires will help them a lot also.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Poppycock! My 'Burb came with Michelin passenger car tires x-load. It really is a shame that you feel that you must respond as you did to prove you're right since it was not necessary nor helpful.
Then I just hope you don't live around this area. I don't want to be on the same road with my Suburban when you lose one of your cheap azz tires.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Then I just hope you don't live around this area. I don't want to be on the same road with my Suburban when you lose one of your cheap azz tires.
Whatever.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive