Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!
Well everyone can't be perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its a great idea for auto dealers if you have no car, then you will have to sign an IOU for another 30k to get one. DC is into credit card fevor and want you to do the same.
quickest way to convert a nation of free people into slaves--- debt.
There is absolutely nothing in the CARS program that forces people to participate. And there are plenty of vehicles available for well under $30K, especially now that Chrysler has an additional $4500 incentive on almost all Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
as a car enthusiast, i'm not a fan either. when someone can cash in that 'clunker' for $4500 vs selling it to an enthusiast to restore or use for parts, the choice is obvious. now, is every 'clunker' a vehicle that an enthusiast would want to restore? of course not. this certainly doesn't help, though.
While it's true that trade-ins are required to be crushed, "... The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train." Source

Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
First off, where do you think that $4,500 comes from? It's not magic money people. It's our tax dollars.
That's exactly right...it's MY tax dollars.

I'm gonna turn in my junker of a 1997 Dodge Ram pickup (combined 14 mpg) with the 5.2L V8 engine, the worn-out ball joints, the horribly cracked windshield, the floppy side mirrors, the rusting body and the broken power windows/cruise-control/air conditioning. Think anyone's gonna give me even $1000 for such a hulk?

I'll get $4500 of MY tax dollars towards the purchase of a new Ford, either the Focus (combined 28 mpg) or the Fusion (combined 27 mpg).

And that $4500 of MY tax dollars will offset either the $15,000 price of the Focus or the $18,000 price of the Fusion. It would seem that I don't have the expensive automotive tastes of someone from BFE, Kentucky .

So Kentuckydad95 (or anyone else for that matter), exactly what problem do you have with me getting back just a pittance of MY tax dollars that I've paid in all these years?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That's exactly right...it's MY tax dollars.

I'm gonna turn in my junker of a 1997 Dodge Ram pickup (combined 14 mpg) with the 5.2L V8 engine, the worn-out ball joints, the horribly cracked windshield, the floppy side mirrors, the rusting body and the broken power windows/cruise-control/air conditioning. Think anyone's gonna give me even $1000 for such a hulk?

I'll get $4500 of MY tax dollars towards the purchase of a new Ford, either the Focus (combined 28 mpg) or the Fusion (combined 27 mpg).

And that $4500 of MY tax dollars will offset either the $15,000 price of the Focus or the $18,000 price of the Fusion. It would seem that I don't have the expensive automotive tastes of someone from BFE, Kentucky .

So Kentuckydad95 (or anyone else for that matter), exactly what problem do you have with me getting back just a pittance of MY tax dollars that I've paid in all these years?
You may be one of the few people this will actually work for. How the Focus will hold up over the years is not yet known, but I have driven a few of them as rentals and was favorably impressed.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I got a flyer from Ford in the mail today. They want me to trade in my clunker. I guess they still have my name in their database because of the F-150 I bought new in 1993.

That truck was a clunker from the day it was new....it's now on it's 4th transmission in 90K total miles.

I wouldn't take a new Ford for FREE!!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
You don't have to get a Ford.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You don't have to get a Ford.
Yes, I know. I was just amused that Ford would waste their money to urge me to trade my old Ford clunker for a new Ford clunker.

I fought them (and lost) over all those trannies...you would think that they would know that my F-150 has "cured" me of Fords for life, and that they'd remove me from their database.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yes, I know. I was just amused that Ford would waste their money to urge me to trade my old Ford clunker for a new Ford clunker.

I fought them (and lost) over all those trannies...you would think that they would know that my F-150 has "cured" me of Fords for life, and that they'd remove me from their database.
Not Ford as much as it is some dealer trying to peddle for your biz.

I had a 94 Ranger that I had my friend sell (it's in Mexico now) and I was getting Honda, Nissan, Toyota, et al flyers for my badly needed trade-in of a truck with 283,600 miles on it.

I even think I've been getting on occasional flyer for my 03 F150, but it's paid off next month (24 payments and done) and I'm not upside down on it, either. I see nothing new out there that I like enough not to look for another 99-03 F150 to park next to it to keep the miles down.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Why would you keep paying to replace transmissions on an ancient truck?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
well at least its better than other obama plans so far in that the common guy is going to get soemthing.As far as big three and UAW they have gotten enough from taxpayers ;so buy what you want; there not any more american than the others made here really.Program wouldn't effect me tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive