Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,818 times

Advertisements

The car is an '04 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) and the HID's are stock, original equipment from the factory, so I believe they are installed OK and have been working fine for 18 months.

In the last few days both HID's have started flickering. It is not very noticable (unless you are driving on a dark road or have the car pointed at a wall) and the flickering goes after about 30 minutes of driving with them powered on. If it was just one I would suspect the ballast or bulb, but both going out at the same time would be unusual. I cannot hear any unusual noises associated with the flickering. The auto/on setting has no effect on the problem.

The car just turned 50K, so not too many miles. It just came back from the 50K service, which I hope is unrelated. They did the 50k and in addition changed the oil, brake fluid and coolant flush. I had the battery checked as part of the 50K and although it is nearly 5 years, it is apparently holding up well (unusual for a battery to last 5 years in the TX heat).

Anybody out there with any ideas?

My only suspect is the alternator or regulator or both bulbs going....

Thanks

- Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM

874 posts, read 2,876,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
The car is an '04 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) and the HID's are stock, original equipment from the factory, so I believe they are installed OK and have been working fine for 18 months.

In the last few days both HID's have started flickering. It is not very noticable (unless you are driving on a dark road or have the car pointed at a wall) and the flickering goes after about 30 minutes of driving with them powered on. If it was just one I would suspect the ballast or bulb, but both going out at the same time would be unusual. I cannot hear any unusual noises associated with the flickering. The auto/on setting has no effect on the problem.

The car just turned 50K, so not too many miles. It just came back from the 50K service, which I hope is unrelated. They did the 50k and in addition changed the oil, brake fluid and coolant flush. I had the battery checked as part of the 50K and although it is nearly 5 years, it is apparently holding up well (unusual for a battery to last 5 years in the TX heat).

Anybody out there with any ideas?

My only suspect is the alternator or regulator or both bulbs going....

Thanks

- Tim
I doubt it is the alternator or regulator since this would affect everything electrical and not just the lights. I am not really familiar with the Jaguars so I can't really give you an exact answer on what the problem may be at this time. I can tell you that Jaguars have been known for electrical problems for years and from reading many reviews even after Ford took over the electrical system problems have not gone away.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM

100 posts, read 550,519 times
Why would you repeat the same message that was posted right above yours ? The original posting is quite clear and obvious.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 PM

874 posts, read 2,876,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven up View Post
Why would you repeat the same message that was posted right above yours ? The original posting is quite clear and obvious.
I basically do this since I have had people place a post while I was actually still writing mine and it has actually confused people in the past. Since I have had it happen a few times I now always do the quotes so that people know exactly which post I am responding to.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 AM

56 posts, read 197,407 times
Recently had this issue, it was the HID ballast.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times
I was going to say Ballast or relays. I had the same problem on my Maxima.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
This is essentially normal for a Jag - if you look carefully at the (Lucas) headlight switch, the 3 positions are labeled "off", "intermittent" and "dim". If you don't like intermittent you can try dim.

OK, to be serious, one thing you can look for besides the ballast unit would be any high-resistance connection, after you have been driving for a while with the lights turned on, and with the dash lights either nearly full bright or turned off (probably this is better done during the day) and you could do this in daylight for convenience, then park the car somewhere you can work and carefully feel the headlight switch, and whatever connections you can see under the hood, if one is warm, unplug it, spray the contacts with "Contact Gold" cleaner and treatment which you can get at Radio Shack (or other contact cleaner if you have it, you can also use a small "scratch" brush to clean the contacts mechaniclly). This should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive