Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:37 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times

Advertisements

If I were going to try repairing a fuel tank, I'd go with "J-B Weld", available in almost any automotive parts store, or hardware store. Good stuff. It's epoxy-based, but has powdered iron (or steel) mixed in it, for strength. The area to be repaired should be thoroughly cleaned of all oil, dirt, and grease, then "burnished" with steel wool.

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
If I were going to try repairing a fuel tank, I'd go with "J-B Weld", available in almost any automotive parts store, or hardware store. Good stuff. It's epoxy-based, but has powdered iron (or steel) mixed in it, for strength. The area to be repaired should be thoroughly cleaned of all oil, dirt, and grease, then "burnished" with steel wool.

Bud
Actually, that's one of the worst things you can do to prep for an epoxy repair. You don't want a polished surface, you want as rough as possible surface, such as would be generated by sand blasting (black beauty, garnet, or other angular abrasives are best) or coarse sanding. A three-mil profile is the standard of the industry, and it's spec'ed in just about every epoxy manufacturer's tech data sheets.

Products like JBWeld depend upon that rough surface for their bonding to the substrate. Smooth steel to epoxy will have a much lower "pull" strength bond by test.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
sunsprit, thank you for your detailed and experience based advice on this subject. I am saving this info as I am often looking for the best 'quick fix' since I am frugal (read cheap) and often need to get my thingamagig back in action with out serious down time.

I also applaud you for your patience in refuting less 'valuable' advice after you have spent so much time going into such detail.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Actually, that's one of the worst things you can do to prep for an epoxy repair. You don't want a polished surface, you want as rough as possible surface, such as would be generated by sand blasting (black beauty, garnet, or other angular abrasives are best) or coarse sanding. A three-mil profile is the standard of the industry, and it's spec'ed in just about every epoxy manufacturer's tech data sheets.

Products like JBWeld depend upon that rough surface for their bonding to the substrate. Smooth steel to epoxy will have a much lower "pull" strength bond by test.

That's exactly what I meant: rough up the surface, not "polish it smooth". Guess I chose the wrong word. I use coarse steel wool to remove loose rust, and it will scratch up the steel surface a little, allowing the J-B to stick...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 08-15-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 04:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
That's exactly what I meant: rough up the surface, not "polish it smooth". Guess I chose the wrong word. I use coarse steel wool to remove loose rust, and it will scratch up the steel surface a little, allowing the J-B to stick...

Bud
Roughing up the surface, correct.

Using steel wool, even the coarse grade ... may remove loose rust ... but, in fact, does exactly what you mentioned. It burnishes the surface, which is a smoothing process.

Much better to use coarse emery cloth, coarse sandpaper, or sandblast with angular abrasive to that 3-mil profile to near white metal. Sometimes, all you can do in the field is wire brush and file a surface to clean metal, and then "ding" the surface so that it's very rough by hammering lightly with a very coarse file.

A simple way to tell if you're achieving a truly rough surface is to wipe it with a clean cotton shop rag ... if it drags on the surface and grabs fibers out of the rag, then it's a "rough" surface. If the rags slides across the surface and the surface stays clean, it's smooth.

The final cleaning should be done with solvent and allowed to air dry instead of wiping the surface dry with the rag that will leave the fibers. As mentioned, I like to use acetone because it's fast, penetrates, and will remove diesel residue. Sometimes a mixture of denatured alcohol and acetone will penetrate and clean better. As always, use the solvents with care ... good ventilation is essential ... proper fire safety precautions, and respect to the toxicity of the solvents. I don't even "blow dry" surfaces for the final cleaning because of the risk of oil or water in the compressed air supply or hoses which could contaminate all my cleaning efforts.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
I really like acetone or methyl ethel ketone.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
I just repaired a150 gal. Diesel tank with a quarter inch hole in the bottom seam with over 100 gallons of fuel in the tank..I have been over 500 miles and it is still dry. I used Jb weld stick )($6.00) at auto parts store..follow directions on tube and it will work! I couldn't believe it...fuel was pouring out of the hole and I pressed the JB into the hole and held pressure on it for about 3 minutes until it started to harden and it stopped leaking!!! Good luck!

Last edited by Randy12; 04-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Need to add that this is an aluminum tank....fyi

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
JB weld will do the job. It did for me years ago on my gas tank & manifold.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times
I've never had any luck patching a gas or fuel tank.
They all start to leak in a short amount of time.

They flex and continue to rust and the new ones are all plastic.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
I've had a couple start leaking where road grime collects under the strap. Both times I used a two-part epoxy that looks like a bar of clay; I don't remember the name but I think there are multiple manufacturers of it. The outside is gray and the center is black. You just cut off the amount you wand and wad it together to activate it, then stick it on the leak. Bush off any loose scale first, other than that no surface prep is necessary. Both times it fixed the leak long-term. It would probably be better if the fuel level was below the leak, but one of the tanks I fixed was dripping when I put it on and it worked fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive