Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The proper question is "would you rather people clog up traffic flow and create dangerous situations and then be forced to multiply the danger of the situation yourself, or would you rather they drive on the right like they're supposed to?"

Right -- and risk getting run off the road again by some a-hole who couldn't bother to pay attention to his surroundings and drive accordingly. Awesome advice. I have a better idea: PASS ON THE LEFT, DRIVE ON THE RIGHT. Can someone please explain what is so difficult about this very simple, common sense, and in most states mandatory concept?
What the other driver does is beyond your control. What you do isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
What the other driver does is beyond your control. What you do isn't.
Which is exactly why proper lane discipline is so important.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are rules like this everywhere. They are just not enforced. Too bad. Those moving road blocks need to go!
I wish this were true. In California, the rule is "slower traffic, keep right." There is no requirement to get out of the left lane unless faster traffic approaches. Even then, lots of people don't do it, so it clogs up the highways. I think the mentality is "I'm going fast enough, so I don't need to move over." Sometimes, though, I think it's just because some drivers are ignorant. Whatever the reason, the law is not enforced. I would like to see something done in California that is more like what Kansas is now doing.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
My point exactly. By flashing your "brights" you set yourself up for a complete stranger to do the unpredictable. And that sounds like just what happened.

Would you rather ride behind someone, flashing your bright lights or would you rather just pass and get on down the road?

If the right lane is open, use it instead of the "Why? Because I shouldn't have to, that's why" mentality.

Actuly passing on the right is a driving violation in most States, even if the left lane is held up by some slow nitwit. BTW, I lived in Dallas for awhile when I did some R&D work.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
And that's exactly one of the scenarios that nearly got me killed. Riding behind some clueless git in the left lane for about a mile. Flashed the brights a couple times to no avail. I finally gave up and went to pass him in the right lane -- JUST AS THE JAGF*#K DECIDES TO FINALLY MOVE OVER. Sonofabitch ran me onto the shoulder and I was about a foot from ending up in a ditch. This is exactly the sort of unpredictability and dangerous encounters that proper lane discipline prevents. And I can't stand it when some rude a-hole force me to engage in unpredictable behavior myself just to get around his rude ass.

Drive on the right, pass on the left -- no matter how light the traffic volume is.
Yeah...can certainly see that happening.

I'm agreeing with you that proper ediquitte is to drive right, pass left....and as you say in a lot of places it's illegal to pass on the right. But seriously...you are more right than the guy driving on the left by passing on the right. They aren't leaving you with any options. No need to flash lights, honk the horn, or ride someones bumper to encourage them to move over. Just accept their actions as incorrect, pass right and be done with it. (as was said by another poster they were probably po'd by your light flashing...they weren't right....but they thought they were)

Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Yeah...can certainly see that happening.

I'm agreeing with you that proper ediquitte is to drive right, pass left....and as you say in a lot of places it's illegal to pass on the right. But seriously...you are more right than the guy driving on the left by passing on the right. They aren't leaving you with any options. No need to flash lights, honk the horn, or ride someones bumper to encourage them to move over. Just accept their actions as incorrect, pass right and be done with it. (as was said by another poster they were probably po'd by your light flashing...they weren't right....but they thought they were)
Makes sense to me. Instead of provoking lefty (which sounds like what happened), just go right, make the pass and get on down the road.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Right, so doing what what you're supposed to do to alert someone that you're coming up behind them is considered "provoking" them. And who the hell said anything about honking the horn or riding someone's bumper?

Oh, and it's not just "etiquette." It is essential to safe highway driving; and furthermore, in the vast majority of states IT. IS. THE. LAW.

Yet again reading through the Automotive threads makes me wish we'd teach people how to properly drive instead of teaching them how to get in the car and step on the gas pedal.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Right, so doing what what you're supposed to do to alert someone that you're coming up behind them is considered "provoking" them. And who the hell said anything about honking the horn or riding someone's bumper?

Yet again reading through the Automotive threads makes me wish we'd teach people how to properly drive instead of teaching them how to get in the car and step on the gas pedal.
So you think flashing your bright lights at a car in front of you isn't provoking? You're lucky you didn't get shot. You are not out there to teach everyone else how to drive. Use a little common sense.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
So you think flashing your bright lights at a car in front of you isn't provoking? You're lucky you didn't get shot. You are not out there to teach everyone else how to drive. Use a little common sense.
So now the standard means of alerting someone that you're coming up behind them when they don't seem to be aware of it is not merely provocative but should get me shot. It's wonderful the kind of people they give out drivers licenses to these days.

Do you also consider it provocative when people use their turn signals? Do brake lights launch you into a homicidal rage? Did you ever ask yourself why cars are equipped with flash-to-pass? If it's a mystery to you, and if you think a standard means of communicating with other drivers warrants running people off the road and/or shooting them, then you probably shouldn't be driving.

I'm not trying to "teach everyone else how to drive." I'm trying to alert people that someone is coming up behind them so they're not creating an unpredictable and potentially dangerous traffic pattern that I have to be a part of. I can't fathom what it is about trying to keep myself and other drivers safe that angers you so much.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
It is the law, at least here in Michigan, that you must signal a driver that you are about to pass. That means flashing your lights at them. So Drover merely did what the law tells him to do. The other driver was the one at fault. If you get mad at someone who follows the law, what are we supposed to do, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive