Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over in the HOV lane a couple days ago on my way home from work. I'm never on the road that early but had to be back very early to help walk a new manager through proper procedures to discipline an employee. So I was sent home early, and on the phone with hubby not thinking at all, the unmarked patrol car (yes, I knew that's what it was) in front of me was poking along at 10 MPH under the speed limit, bogging up traffic, so I went around her. In the HOV lane. Completely forgot that I'd left work early and wasn't supposed to be in that lane yet.

Now, I know I'm at fault. But I really hate the HOV lane thing to begin with. It just ticks me off. I work 2 hours away from home and like that day, my schedule can change within the day. I can't carpool so it ticks me off that I'm being punished for that. And it ticks me off that other idiots can't get out of the passing lane when they want to poke along. And it really ticks me off that a deputy or police officer was one of the ones doing it. Kind of wonder if she did it on purpose to get someone to pass her, thinking they wouldn't notice she was an unmarked unit. Or that some moron like me wouldn't realize what time it is.

I just don't get the point of the HOV lane. It seems kind of prejudice to me. You can only do the speed limit if you have someone in the car with you? I'd let them have their stupid HOV lane if they'd enforce the slower traffic keep right law. All the granola crunching, tree hugging, dirt people can have 18 people in their Prius in the HOV lane at whatever speed they want so their carbon footprint is minimized and the carbon footprint Gods don't come after them; just get the other idiots out of the next lane over so the rest of us can do the speed limit. Or - God forbid - 5 MPH over!!

Thank you. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I remember getting on the HOV lane when we set the time forward last year. I forgot to set the time in my car's clock so I got on the lanes and hour past the allowed time. Just when I realized the real time I took the next exit to get off as quick as possible, as I got off and was at the end of the off ramp wating on a red light a motorcycle cop looked at me and said I was on the restricted lane. I explained to him my did not change the tim in my car and he just shook his head and rode off. I was relieved I didn't get a ticket right there and then. These HOV violation tickets are pretty hefty here in VA.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I remember getting on the HOV lane when we set the time forward last year. I forgot to set the time in my car's clock so I got on the lanes and hour past the allowed time. Just when I realized the real time I took the next exit to get off as quick as possible, as I got off and was at the end of the off ramp wating on a red light a motorcycle cop looked at me and said I was on the restricted lane. I explained to him my did not change the tim in my car and he just shook his head and rode off. I was relieved I didn't get a ticket right there and then. These HOV violation tickets are pretty hefty here in VA.
Oh, are you serious? That's BS. Sheesh - you deserved a break even more than I did.

Apparently in Nashville they take them very seriously and no one gets a warning ever. What's with that? I just don't get it.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
Environmentalist do-gooders and treehuggers love HOV lanes. Usually they don't commute unless it is via public transportation, so it does not affect them... In the Boston area, the off-duty cops cruise the HOV lane solo on 93 south in their own cars when off duty. They put their uniform jacket on the passenger seat headrest as a sign. A little "professional courtesy" if you will....

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Environmentalist do-gooders and treehuggers love HOV lanes. Usually they don't commute unless it is via public transportation, so it does not affect them... In the Boston area, the off-duty cops cruise the HOV lane solo on 93 south in their own cars when off duty. They put their uniform jacket on the passenger seat headrest as a sign. A little "professional courtesy" if you will....

Bastards!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
From what I have seen it not 5 over the speed limit but 5 over the fastest car around them. Cutting in and out of traffic making others brake. That's the problem people can't contain themselves slowing all traffic by bad flow.Often see the HOV lane keep flowing when the other is too busy braking and dodging.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I got pulled over in the HOV lane a couple days ago on my way home from work. I'm never on the road that early but had to be back very early to help walk a new manager through proper procedures to discipline an employee. So I was sent home early, and on the phone with hubby not thinking at all, the unmarked patrol car (yes, I knew that's what it was) in front of me was poking along at 10 MPH under the speed limit, bogging up traffic, so I went around her.
Perhaps hanging up the cell phone and keeping your attention on driving would be good.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Perhaps hanging up the cell phone and keeping your attention on driving would be good.

Amen. Not only does she not belong in the HOV, she needs to ride the bus.

STAY OFF THE PHONE.

(And hands-free means nothing. It's even worse in many cases.)

Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Amen. Not only does she not belong in the HOV, she needs to ride the bus.

STAY OFF THE PHONE.

(And hands-free means nothing. It's even worse in many cases.)

You guys are merciless!!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Not a chance. Until they outlaw it I'll be talking and driving all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive