Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Montana doesn't have enough traffic to warrant the use of HOV lanes....

High-occupancy vehicle lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Montana has traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Montana doesn't have enough traffic to warrant the use of HOV lanes....

High-occupancy vehicle lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some folks just can't recognize sarcastic cynicism.

As for traffic, you have obviously never been in Billings Heights during rush hour. Once you achieve bumper to bumper traffic across all three lanes, an HOV lane would be very valuable!

Oh, and I have lived in Seattle. I don't need a primer in HOV lanes, (or "reversible lanes"). I used to car pool from West Seattle to Boeing/Everett.
I also used to drive through Las Vegas. I don't go that way anymore. It has been years since I went that way. Maybe, someday, if the bypass is ever completed I will return. then again, the bypass will be choked immediately, so probably not.
Besides, Reno is just as much fun, and friendlier, and easier to drive in and through.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

91 posts, read 191,431 times
HOV lanes are nice... but really pretty iffy. Adding more lanes on a highway would do far more. But once again, they are nice when they are running correctly.

Chicago traffic can get pretty darn bad. No surprise there.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:54 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The truth of the matter is SOME people can drive quite well while having a phone conversation. Some can't and they make the stereotype stick to all.

I think the law should make 'conversational' calls illegal. For instance, if a cop sees you on the phone continually for more than a few minutes, you can get tapped for DWC "driving while cell-phoning". There is absolutely NO reason for people to place a call the minute they get in their cars, yap for he duration of the drive, and hang up when they reach their destination. If you need to talk that much, you should pull over and have a conversation. However, short calls (for information, directions, checking in, etc.) should be ok.

Sorry to go OT.
This is simply not feasible because people would simply hang up the phone as soon as they notice a police car and then dial back up once they are far away from it. If they were going to do this why have any law against it?

Do people remember years ago when they did not have cell phones and everyone did just fine driving without them? I am only 38 years of age and I remember this. How hard is it to simply not use the phone while in the car? Why do people feel a need to constantly be on a cell phone while driving or doing anything else?

I only have my cell phone for emergencies or if I get stuck somewhere for some reason. I do not understand the infatuation with talking with someone on a phone all of the time. The best is when you are in a store and someone walks up to the counter while still talking on the cell phone. They then tell the person on the phone to hold on with an annoyed tone like the cashier is the person making them stop yapping.

Since I am a retired police officer I can tell the person that started this thread that the reason the officer in the car in front of her was going slow was because the officer noticed by looking in the rear view mirror that she was alone in the car in the HOV lane and that she was talking on a cell phone. The officer slowed down hoping that the person would be ignorant enough to pass so that the officer would not have to wait to find a safe place to drop back and then pull her over. Basically, what you are ranting about is your own lack of judgement.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 34,907 times
I just wish the HOV lanes here in So Cal had "rush hour" time frames. I've seen it in the Bay area. It makes no sense when there's little or no traffic after say 7 pm to not be able to use a lane. Or a lane closure over night causing a back up and you can't use the carpool lane that no one is in? Makes no sense.

One of our freeways recently switched to anytime enter/exit markings. You can enter or exit the HOV at anytime. Which makes sense to me. The solid lines trying to keep people in the HOV are a joke around here. And, I've seen it nearly impossible to make your exit if you wait till the dotted lines start. It actually slows the rest of traffic.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I got pulled over in the HOV lane a couple days ago on my way home from work. I'm never on the road that early but had to be back very early to help walk a new manager through proper procedures to discipline an employee. So I was sent home early, and on the phone with hubby not thinking at all, the unmarked patrol car (yes, I knew that's what it was) in front of me was poking along at 10 MPH under the speed limit, bogging up traffic, so I went around her. In the HOV lane. Completely forgot that I'd left work early and wasn't supposed to be in that lane yet.

Now, I know I'm at fault. But I really hate the HOV lane thing to begin with. It just ticks me off. I work 2 hours away from home and like that day, my schedule can change within the day. I can't carpool so it ticks me off that I'm being punished for that. And it ticks me off that other idiots can't get out of the passing lane when they want to poke along. And it really ticks me off that a deputy or police officer was one of the ones doing it. Kind of wonder if she did it on purpose to get someone to pass her, thinking they wouldn't notice she was an unmarked unit. Or that some moron like me wouldn't realize what time it is.

I just don't get the point of the HOV lane. It seems kind of prejudice to me. You can only do the speed limit if you have someone in the car with you? I'd let them have their stupid HOV lane if they'd enforce the slower traffic keep right law. All the granola crunching, tree hugging, dirt people can have 18 people in their Prius in the HOV lane at whatever speed they want so their carbon footprint is minimized and the carbon footprint Gods don't come after them; just get the other idiots out of the next lane over so the rest of us can do the speed limit. Or - God forbid - 5 MPH over!!

Thank you. Rant over.
Is riding a motorcycle an option? That will get you into the HOV lane with only one person.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Love it when a 5+ year old thread comes back from the dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny and Duder View Post
I just wish the HOV lanes here in So Cal had "rush hour" time frames. I've seen it in the Bay area. It makes no sense when there's little or no traffic after say 7 pm to not be able to use a lane. Or a lane closure over night causing a back up and you can't use the carpool lane that no one is in? Makes no sense.

One of our freeways recently switched to anytime enter/exit markings. You can enter or exit the HOV at anytime. Which makes sense to me. The solid lines trying to keep people in the HOV are a joke around here. And, I've seen it nearly impossible to make your exit if you wait till the dotted lines start. It actually slows the rest of traffic.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Welcome to the internet!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Actually, in exactly one week, this thread will have its sixth anniversary.
Way to go, Bunny and Duder!
You have facilitated The Resurrection!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive