Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Did you expect more?

I don't think he realizes how much of his own time he wasted. I would be willing to bet that a computer answered his whiny letter using a database of generic responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've sent this letter to USA Today and I'm going to put it in the mail to GM directly. I'm posting this letter on the message boards I use. I ask that if you feel the same, you copy and post this letter on any other message boards you use and send out via emails to people you know. Please post your opinion of my letter here. I'm glad I took a week of writing to come up with this one. My early versions could not be printed in a newspaper due to language and extreme anger. I think this one is better thought out.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009
To: The people of General Motors
This is an open letter to General Motors from your former loyal customers who became victims of your products’ poor reliability. We enjoyed purchasing your vehicles. We enjoyed driving them. We enjoyed the service we received from your dealerships. We enjoyed the reliability,…right up until the vehicle’s warranty expired. Not long after the warranty expired, things began to go wrong. I’m not talking about things like brake disc, belts, tires, or other normal wear and tear problems. I’m talking about things like faulty electronic AC controls, GM’s PassLock theft deterrent system not recognizing our key and locking out our engine, brake rotors warping so badly they need to be replaced, and leaking intake gaskets (within about 50,000 miles) for example.
What makes the above even more upsetting is, thanks to the internet, we’ve discovered that not only did you know about these problems for several years (thanks to discovering your service bulletins to your dealer networks) but you did not
Did not correct the problem at the part manufacturing plant.
Did not correct the problem in the vehicle manufacturing plant.
Did not correct the problem in vehicle’s in the dealers’ inventory
Did not correct the problem in current customers’ vehicles at no cost to your customer.
Knowing all this, why should us, your former loyal customers, return to you for our next new car purchase? Why should we take you at your word that the quality of your vehicles is greatly improved? If you want us to return to you then it’s going to take more than words of assurance. It’s going to take action. We understand that mistakes happen at various stages of production. What we don’t understand is this great stone wall of denial of fault you and your dealers have put up between yourself and your customers. GM, please tear down this wall.
Actively seek out components that repeatedly fail in your vehicles
Find the source and cause of these failures.
Implement corrective actions to fix this problem.
Put in this correction at the source; component manufacturing plant or vehicle manufacturing plant.
Fix the problem in your existing vehicles as your customers bring them in at no cost to your customers.
You do the above and customer word of mouth will begin the process of improving your image among not only your current customers, but also among past and potential future customers. It will also improve the quality of your product. With improved quality will come improved vehicle sales. You think Toyota and Honda out sale you because their vehicles have as much styling as a toaster? It’s long lasting build quality that is the result of you failing in sales to these two auto makers. You improve your quality, you stand behind your vehicle’s quality, and you improve your customers’ support and customers will return. Until then we’ll continue to avoid your company’s vehicles.
So once again I ask you,…why should us, your former loyal customers, return to you for our next new car purchase and why should we take you at your word that the quality of your vehicles is greatly improved?
David Bordelon
Lafayette, LA
I don't get it. Every GM car I've had has been great.

A lot of the unreliability claims come from jackasses who don't properly maintain their vehicles. They drive for tens of thousands of miles without changing oil, never watch fluids or change shocks. Then when things start to go wrong they blame GM.

Granted, the Japanese cars could take more of the maintenance neglect, but GM sure makes up for it with balls and styling (give me a Cadillac over a Camry any day.)

Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Do a net search of GM V6 intake gasket leak due to dexcool coolant.
Do another search of GM brake rotors warping.
Do another search of GM PassLock Theft system failing.
These are the three things I've experienced with my car, did a net search, and discovered that not only are these common problems, but GM paid out a class action lawsuit for the intake gasket problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post

A lot of the unreliability claims come from jackasses who don't properly maintain their vehicles. They drive for tens of thousands of miles without changing oil, never watch fluids or change shocks. Then when things start to go wrong they blame GM.

Granted, the Japanese cars could take more of the maintenance neglect, but GM sure makes up for it with balls and styling (give me a Cadillac over a Camry any day.)

Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
So were mine. Until this latest one.

Quote:
Generally speaking, you're correct. But, in the case of the issues that sailordave is addressing(Passlock, LIM gasket, and Rotors), he's spot-on the mark with his complaints. And these issues are not related to poor or deferred maintenance, they're related solely to shoddy engineering and workmanship.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Send it to Chrysler as well. Ford would be the last domestic I would ever consider owning, the rest are junk.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Quote:

What it really comes down to is whether or not you car starts every morning. My brother had a 96 Blazer with 40,000 miles and the transmission went out. Then at 46,000 a gasket blew and oil went everywhere. At 60,000 the power steering pump went bye bye. At 70,000 the transmission went out again (ut was new, not rebuilt). At 77,000 miles the engine gasket blew again. He traded it in out of frustration for his Honda CRV... 7 years now and all he has done is change the brake discs once and regular oil changes. When this happens one would be an idiot to defend GM. Screw them and Chrysler. They are not the companys they were way back in the good ol days. Ford maybe, but GM and Chrysler are junk to us because we have had nothing but problem after problem. American or not if aint getting me to work on time I aint defending it.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times
Maybe it's just me but I think there are certain GM cars that are actually good and others that were not so good.

Pretty much all of the FWD cars IMO are junk. Especially the ones from the 80's and into the 90's.

The full size trucks I think are ok. The 4L60E automatic had some issues starting in 1996 and that went on until 1999-2000 they finally corrected it, so I am told. I will say the 5.3 and 6.0 V8's are phenomenal engines.

The smaller trucks I think are hit or miss. I've had really good luck with one and no so good luck with another. A third one is mediocre but it is an 18 year old truck.

One thing to remember, and I'm not defending their trannies, but there are people who actually tow stuff in overdrive, then wonder why it goes out on them prematurely.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM

132 posts, read 370,311 times
Sometimes it take tough times, and the struggle for basic survival to get the lead out, and force one to use their head again. This applies to a nation at war, and to the American car industry. Domestic vehicles don't look very American anymore, but GM in particular seems to be backing up their products with a lot of confidence lately. And the cars are some of the most refined they have ever built. " Do or Die " and " Put Up or Shut Up " seems to be the two mantras of Detroit these days. It's about time.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:11 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Do a net search of GM V6 intake gasket leak due to dexcool coolant.
Do another search of GM brake rotors warping.
Do another search of GM PassLock Theft system failing.
These are the three things I've experienced with my car, did a net search, and discovered that not only are these common problems, but GM paid out a class action lawsuit for the intake gasket problems.
Do a net search of the various recalls of Toyota vehicles:78 recalls on the corolla and 61 for the camry for various safety issues: www.toyotaproblems.com/recalls

What about the massive wreck recently of a Lexus due to a stuck gas pedal...all passengers dead:
"Stuck" Accelerator Blamed for Four Deaths - NBCSANDIEGO.COM- msnbc.com

Nissan recalled 3 vehicles this year already for structural (diesel vehicles), and safety (Murano and Altima) issues:
Nissan Recall Information - Defects, Complaints, Problems, Recalls

The Honda civic has been recalled 263 times over the lifespan of the model: hondaproblems.com

I am not disputing the fact that certainly in the 80's and 90's the Japanese built better engineered and more reliable vehicles than their American counterparts. But that gap has closed immensely. And if you're basing your opinion on Internet research, which is as unreliable as a 1980's FIAT, you can find plenty of fodder against the Japanese brands as well.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
None of the three problems I listed were ever recalled even though GM was aware of the problems. Mistakes in manufactoring happens. Trying to hide your mistakes and denying the mistakes ever happened is what made me loose faith in GM
Quote:
Do a net search of the various recalls of Toyota vehicles:78 recalls on the corolla and 61 for the camry for various safety issues: www.toyotaproblems.com/recalls

What about the massive wreck recently of a Lexus due to a stuck gas pedal...all passengers dead:
"Stuck" Accelerator Blamed for Four Deaths - NBCSANDIEGO.COM- msnbc.com

Nissan recalled 3 vehicles this year already for structural (diesel vehicles), and safety (Murano and Altima) issues:
Nissan Recall Information - Defects, Complaints, Problems, Recalls

The Honda civic has been recalled 263 times over the lifespan of the model: hondaproblems.com

If you're going to base your opinion on "net searches" you can find plenty of fodder against the Japanese brands as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive