Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to me that here in WA both the car driver and motorcycle rider tests have a lot of "urban" skills that to me, a dedicated country dweller and blue road traveler, are more "odd and interesting" than really useful skills. I personally don't mind sharing the road with someone who can't parallel park to save their life, so long as they don't try to do it and thus bash into my parked car or hold up traffic forever.

A more critical skill is how to steer into a skid, every winter I see objective evidence that some people around here can't do that in an orderly, safe, and proficient manner. These nimble nuts could drift into my lane and make me share their problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Definitely foot on the brake, then turn.

Honestly, I've been doing it for years, and I still can't quite "glide" in just by feel the way some people do. I'm constantly evaluating and re-evaluating the angle. Seems to work for me though as I rarely have to pull out and back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive