Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times

Advertisements

I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men) feel that they have to have such a big/fast/heavy vehicle? Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand. I'm a 33 yo male and have never understood this at all. I always look for gas mileage, safety ratings, comfort, and styling VS having a huge hunk of steel. Just seems to be a big thing here in the states opposed to most places overseas. Is it a U.S. mentality? Once again, don't get upset with me I'm just trying to understand why this mode of thought is so prevalent here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
one reason it's fun to have a big powerful car or truck life would be boring if we all drove fuel efficent safe cars.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Let me guess, you consider a car strictly an appliance, it gets you from A to B, but you don't actually enjoy driving - am I right?

Really you are looking at 2 different things and combining them - the "big car" guys and the "fast car" guys. Some people like a big car because they think it's safer in a crash, some, hell, just like a big car. I'm not that much of a big car guy, maybe someone who is into big cars will post up.

Fast car guys like a car that's responsive to control inputs - that would be me. Not strictly about horsepower, but about a well-balanced car that provides a "charismatic and engaging experience" when I drive it - as put by a web aquaintence from UK who drives a MacLaren (if you don't recognize that as a car name, Google it, they are not in the "appliance car" business).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i feel very powerful when i drive my car, that is bek

its paid for

Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,390,573 times
I'm a tall guy and like large cars because there is generally more interior room to stretch out. I'm also an auto enthusiast and enjoy the torque that you get from a V8, which is usually limited to larger vehicles since the engine bays of compacts and midsizers are usually too small. Big cars are also more comfortable if you do a lot of traveling and desire more passenger and trunk space. Plus, I like the elongated proportions of larger cars...long, low, and sleek as opposed to short, stubby, and tall.

When I am shopping for cars, my priorities are styling, which wheels are being driven (I prefer RWD), vehicle performance, size, safety, and fuel economy in that order. I'm a 25 yo male with no kids.

My car...which usually averages 19 city / 28 highway, and has hit 29.5 before

I'd also say it's a cultural thing. America is a very large, open country and our cars reflect that. Many of us who are car enthusiasts grew up around larger cars from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s and prefer that sort of vehicle whether it really makes rational sense to own one or not.

Last edited by mustang84; 09-23-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,338,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men) feel that they have to have such a big/fast/heavy vehicle? Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand. I'm a 33 yo male and have never understood this at all. I always look for gas mileage, safety ratings, comfort, and styling VS having a huge hunk of steel. Just seems to be a big thing here in the states opposed to most places overseas. Is it a U.S. mentality? Once again, don't get upset with me I'm just trying to understand why this mode of thought is so prevalent here. Thanks.
There's no one answer, but I'm aware of a few:

- some people have always, from childhood been around motorsports or modded/fast vehicles of some kind. so having an expensive/fast/big/quick/modded car is routine. it's what they expect. they are really into cars/bikes at all ages. so at 40-something or older, they're just doing what they've always done

- some always wanted a nice car, but can't afford it until they "arrive" at 40-something or older

- yes some are compensating or chasing youth since that age is when most realize they're not 18 any more

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
my mustang GT does not 'blow black smoke' . That would mean an overly rich mixture and issues.. Oh and BTW - its paid for, and gets almost 30 mpg on the highway of I keep it at the speed limit, and is a 5 star crash safe.. .. So whats your point?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
Quote:
Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
Quote:
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand.
those two statements seem to be in direct contradiction of one another.

and to the last part of your question, a powerful car is not just a US thing. one of THE most popular shows worldwide is a British show called Top Gear, a show totally dedicated to vehicle reviews and wacky challenges. they don't review Toyota Priuses and Honda.....whatever their knock-off hybrid is called. they review high horsepower dream machines. its popularity is a testament to the WORLD'S fascination with automobiles, not just the US'.

Mike

Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Remembering a trip to Germany when I rented a 316i BMW, the roads were narrow, parking space was at a premium, and the 3-series felt bigger than I wanted. No way would I have wanted a bigger car if I could have had one for free.

Here in the US, even in this era of $3 gas, gas is cheap, and outside of the cities there is plenty of room, so the downsides of a big car in Europe (or, I would think, Asia, but have never driven there...) are not as important.

Although, some of the "big car" syndrome can probably be attributed to people drinking the Madison Avenue Kool-Aid. Advertisers constantly tell people that bigger is better, and the dumber and easier led ones will eventually beleive it.

To me, though, a cool car has to be paid for, and it has to be *appreciating* in value, as well as perform and look the part...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,390,573 times
Besides, it's not just automobiles...planes, trains, boats...humans have always been pushing the limits of speed, power, and size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive