Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

I swear that I stopped and looked both ways, but as I was beginning to turn right on red, out of nowhere comes a guy on a bike, riding on the sidewalk, suddenly appeared right in front of me. I managed to stop, but still ended up hitting him lightly, but hard enough to knock him down. He bounced right back up though, with a few scrapes. The corner where it happened it is difficult to see down the sidewalk very far. If someone was walking or jogging you can see far enough, but not if on a bike going fast. Anyways looks like my insurance is going to have to pay for his medical expenses. I am really disappointed that this happened since I make it a point to stop and look first, unlike so many who just roll through. Maybe I should not turn right on red at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM

229 posts, read 691,391 times
That's a bummer. In the past, I was riding a motorcycle when I was hit by a car doing about 25 mph (I wasn't moving) and it hurt. It turns out the guy who hit me was a rich CEO or something, so he gave me a check for $6,000 on the spot, to apologize. I wasn't really hurt to bad (Only a bruised rib), so I used the money for other things. Don't feel too bad though, because I know what you mean about people who don't look at all.
Was it a busy intersection?
Maybe save turning right on red to less busy ones.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
If the bike rider was on the sidewall he is at fault, if he was riding against traffic he is at fault. At night without proper lighting and reflectors - at fault.
But my insurance said they like to settle and write a check as quick as possible regardless of fault.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I swear that I stopped and looked both ways, but as I was beginning to turn right on red, out of nowhere comes a guy on a bike, riding on the sidewalk, suddenly appeared right in front of me. I managed to stop, but still ended up hitting him lightly, but hard enough to knock him down. He bounced right back up though, with a few scrapes. The corner where it happened it is difficult to see down the sidewalk very far. If someone was walking or jogging you can see far enough, but not if on a bike going fast. Anyways looks like my insurance is going to have to pay for his medical expenses. I am really disappointed that this happened since I make it a point to stop and look first, unlike so many who just roll through. Maybe I should not turn right on red at all?
I'm a life long avid cyclist and can tell you many of the car/bike accidents are caused by the cyclist not following the rules of the road that all must follow to be safe. Then there's the idiot drivers that think bikes are toys and don't belong on the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
It happens sometimes. I was stopped at a red light, and when it turned green I suddenly had a kid and a bike on my hood. Scared the sh*t out of me.

He was OK, and it was good I had witnesses that stated he came out of nowhere. He did run a red light though.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If the bike rider was on the sidewall he is at fault, if he was riding against traffic he is at fault. At night without proper lighting and reflectors - at fault.
But my insurance said they like to settle and write a check as quick as possible regardless of fault.

Yes - if he was on the sidewalk its not your fault, its his. What insurance does is its own story, but the rider should know better.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i am so glad you did not hurt him badly. thank you for being careful.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
Most drivers who turn right on red, take a quick glance right, if at all, most of the concentration is on looking left, for a break in traffic. If the cyclist was in front of you, he was riding against traffic. Was he in the lane after you turned? Then he was riding across against the light. Did you get a ticket? Insurance company would rather write him a check, no matter who is at fault, to get him to sign for it quick.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Did the insurance company say YOU would be given any points .

Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Did the insurance company say YOU would be given any points .
I only had a conversation with my agent. I am a cyclist as well as a driver. I am not the original poster.
Only the DMV issues points to your drivers license the insurance has no control on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive