Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,148,390 times

Advertisements

I spent seven years as an ASE certified mechanic and I’ve seen many a customer fall victim to the values of false economy.

These are the many examples I’ve seen:

I had a customer bring me a car to install new tires on when it was very obvious this car had an alignment issue. I tried to educate the customer as to why their current tires were now bald on the outer edges, but it did not matter they just wanted new tires and nothing more. The same customer would return six months later with the new tires completely destroyed from alignment wear. I then had to explain that the tire warranty does not cover alignment wear. They ended up buying new tires again and getting an alignment. There was nothing wrong with the suspension just some simple front and rear toe adjustments for a whopping $65.00. I don’t know about anyone else, but if I just forked out $790 on tires again because I wanted to save $65 on the first go, I would beat my head against a wall.

I watched a customer shop around for a shop around for the best price to do a timing belt, only to bring me a quote I could not beat. I could not beat the quote because the other shop left out critical components that have to be replaced when the timing belt service is done, like the water pump and tensioner. This same customer would later bring me their car 8600 miles later when the new timing belt snapped because the water pump seized. The only reason they brought it to me was because the other shop told them to pound sand. The end result of them trying to save $300 and change cost them $1800 to fix all the bent valves.

I think it’s important as an automotive repair customer to be an active listener and ask questions. I’m not saying there’s not bad mechanics out there, but don’t allow your self to get sucked into the value of false economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:48 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,644,135 times
Can't argue with anything you said. People are so worried about the "Crooked" mechanic they don't believe good advice when they hear it.
That's why it's best to find a good independent shop you trust, and stay with them forever, just as you would a doctor, or tax man, etc.
No one ever goes around to doctors for estimates every time they get a tummy ache.....

Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,239,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I spent seven years as an ASE certified mechanic and I’ve seen many a customer fall victim to the values of false economy.

I had a customer bring me a car to install new tires on when it was very obvious this car had an alignment issue. I tried to educate the customer as to why their current tires were now bald on the outer edges, but it did not matter they just wanted new tires and nothing more. The same customer would return six months later with the new tires completely destroyed from alignment wear. I then had to explain that the tire warranty does not cover alignment wear. They ended up buying new tires again and getting an alignment. There was nothing wrong with the suspension just some simple front and rear toe adjustments for a whopping $65.00. I don’t know about anyone else, but if I just forked out $790 on tires again because I wanted to save $65 on the first go, I would beat my head against a wall.

I watched a customer shop around for a shop around for the best price to do a timing belt, only to bring me a quote I could not beat. I could not beat the quote because the other shop left out critical components that have to be replaced when the timing belt service is done, like the water pump and tensioner. This same customer would later bring me their car 8600 miles later when the new timing belt snapped because the water pump seized. The only reason they brought it to me was because the other shop told them to pound sand. The end result of them trying to save $300 and change cost them $1800 to fix all the bent valves.

I think it’s important as an automotive repair customer to be an active listener and ask questions. I’m not saying there’s not bad mechanics out there, but don’t allow your self to get sucked into the value of false economy.
Part of the problem is misinformation or outright deception suffered by so many customers. I was in the audio/video business for along time, and dealt with people all the time who had been told the absolute minimum, or given quotes for the least possible gear to accomplish a given purpose. After some time goes by, those potential clients who went elsewhere to have their work done often realized that what they bought isn't what I was proposing, and that they were shorted on the project. People don't like to hear that the charge to do something necessary now is double what it was when the home was in the process of being built, but the other guy was cheaper at the time.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,031,258 times
Some people learn the hard way, like me

Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,443 times
I think everyone is so jaded, we can't tell the difference between an honest mechanic and a good liar.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:22 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,921,125 times
The other way you can do it to yourself is by self-diagnosing your problem. You are better off to say "my car is running warm" than to say "my thermostat is bad."

Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM

220 posts, read 377,452 times
Quote:

You're right. It's really stupid to buy & install a new set of tires when there's clearly an alignment problem - especially when the evidence of the alignment problem is so clearly seen.

But I think one of the problems it that so many consumers have been lied to by unscrupulous shops that they assume all mechanic shops are lying. Chain "oil change" stores, Firestone, Brake Masters & Meineke shops are notorious for this.

This is unfortunate, because good honest mechanics can make a good living. There's no reason for these shops to be dishonest.

In the end, everyone loses.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM

I sometimes think self-diagnosis can be a problem when a customer shows up to a shop. They already go in with the mindset that this is the problem, here’s how you fix it and this is how much I think it’s going to cost.

A perfect example would be my car runs hot, I think it needs a new thermostat. People read this stuff on Internet DIY and they think that a thermostat is the magic bullet.

There are many more questions to be asked:

When does it run hot?
Is it using coolant?
Does it run rough?
Does it only run hot sitting in traffic?
Does it only run hot under heavy load?
Does only run hot with the A/C on sitting in traffic?

A good mechanic will confirm the following are in good repair:

Coolant levels and coolant quality
System integrity (does it leak)
Cooling fans and related electrical systems
Radiator
Hoses
Water pump and fan belts
Fan clutch
Thermostat
Head gasket

I’ve seen more head gaskets blown by the following:

Cooling system not serviced at proper intervals.
People trying to “nurse” an overheating vehicle to where they’re going. The root cause of the blow head gasket is always something so cheap in this case.

There’s nothing wrong with a consumer reading up on the bits and pieces of what makes a car work, but it’s kind along the same lines of going to your doctor with a self diagnosis. So please don’t be disappointed when you’re told your car needs a new radiator, when you thought it needed just a thermostat.

Don’t even get me started on cooling stop leak products, I’ve seen that stuff cause more damage than it’s ever “fixed.” There’s no magic cure for a leaking radiator.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
You're right. It's really stupid to buy & install a new set of tires when there's clearly an alignment problem - especially when the evidence of the alignment problem is so clearly seen.

There’s also the fine line of liability. The customer’s car in this case had cord sticking out of the edge of the tires.

Do I refuse to install new tires and hope like hell they don’t have a blow out leading to injury or death after they leave?

Or do I just document it in the work order that the car has alignment problem and proceed to install new tires to cover my butt.

We live in a society where people refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions and a lawyer is a quick phone call away.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:53 PM

220 posts, read 377,452 times
Quote:
There’s also the fine line of liability. The customer’s car in this case had cord sticking out of the edge of the tires.

Do I refuse to install new tires and hope like hell they don’t have a blow out leading to injury or death after they leave?

Or do I just document it in the work order that the car has alignment problem and proceed to install new tires to cover my butt.

We live in a society where people refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions and a lawyer is a quick phone call away.
Yep, you're right about the safety & liability issues.

I do all my own mechanical work, and end up working on lots of family members' vehicles. I've really ripped into some of the about the condition of their vehicles (one nephew had literally ground a brake rotor down to the thickness of shoe box cardboard). In the end, I cannot make them NOT be stupid.

So... What did you do about the tire & lack of alignment issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive