Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times

Advertisements

I think I am a dying breed of people that feel buying a car is like buying a new set of clothes. I wouldn't buy ugly clothes, I wouldn't buy a woman's line of clothes, I wouldn't buy clothes that aren't my style, I wouldn't buy a brand of clothes that used to be the hottest brand around when now they are selling clothes in Walmart, etc.. Why? I feel that cars are an extension of ones personality.

There are some nice cars out there that I feel are great and I have nothing but good things to say about them but I would never own them. For instance I think Hyundai and Kia make amazing vehicles, I would never buy one though because its just not my style. Honda is another one I think that's great...too many people have them though and it reminds me of a bunch of ants scurrying around the ant hill when I see them all over the road.

As far as vehicles that are washed up I have to say I LOVED Jeep Cherokees up until they stopped production. The new ones are a reincarnation of a Pontiac Aztec. The new Nissan Pathfinder is another on I always LOVED. Not it looks like an oversize station wagon that should be called a Mallfinder vs. a Pathfinder. I don't care what kind of reviews they received they are hideous and I wouldn't take one if given to me.

I really miss SUV's. I miss the tailgates, removable tops on some of them, truck like feel to them, some ruggedness amongst other things. I saw a blurb in an article that said the real point of owning a real SUV is to keep a reserve stash of adventure in your back pocket, to know what you can do if you decide to quit your commute and set off on the road less traveled. CUV's have really taken this aspect of SUV's away. I want to know if im faced with rising waters, a fallen tree, a mud pit, etc...I can tackle it. If I didn't want a stash of adventure in my back pocket I wouldn't want an SUV.

I hope this didn't come off as a rant. Just not happy that todays buyers tend to be more into the technology inside the cars offer them rather than what the car actually looks like. I gave a young kid thumbs up yesterday who had temp plates on what looked to be his first car because he was diving a 1998 Mustang Cobra. He could have bought a much newer car that for the same price but he wanted one with some character...Awesome! We need more of these kids. I grew up watching Home Improvement and I think a little bit of Tim Taylor has been engrained in me, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
I agree with you that today what is inside sells the car. I watched my son shopping for a new car and got a glimpse into his thinking. Didn't care for performance much. Couldn’t tell a 4 from a 6 from an 8. 0-60? What is that? Body on frame? Yeah, right. He was far more interested in what came in the “entertainment” package.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 AM

I work with a guy that had a late 90's Mazda 929 I think that recently died (the car) with close to 300K on it. He needed a car so he just went out and got a Camry (couple years old). He is bored out of his mind with it already and hes only had it for 1 week. Says his 300K mile car handled better, gave a better ride etc...On the flip side he now has a reliable car with all kinds of technology but that doesn't make driving anymore fun and now he blends in with every other car out there on the road.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think I am a dying breed of people that feel buying a car is like buying a new set of clothes. I wouldn't buy ugly clothes, I wouldn't buy a woman's line of clothes, I wouldn't buy clothes that aren't my style, I wouldn't buy a brand of clothes that used to be the hottest brand around when now they are selling clothes in Walmart, etc.. Why? I feel that cars are an extension of ones personality.
I agree with you, but just as there are lots of people who buy Camry's, there are also lots of people who go to Kohl's and buy Dockers and a button up to wear to work, rather than more fashion forward clothes.

Similarly, just as one can go to J Crew or somewhere to buy more fashionable office attire, if you don't want a Camry, you can get a Mazda with the sport package or a used 3 series BMW or a Mustang. If you fancy yourself a granola hiker camper, you can buy a Subaru, and if you're an outdoorsman, a Pickup truck or a Jeep.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
I've seen that as well. Some people still buy a car based upon the exterior looks, but it's the electronics that seals the deal for far too many people. To the OP, how did you feel about the original crossover, the AMC Eagle. To me it was a good design but was lacking in engine which is pretty much virtually every car of the 1980s.

Here's an idea of my buying process. Was in the market for a new car and wanted a compact sedan. My choice had to have fog lights and be within a certain price range. Honda Civic, didn't care for the exterior styling and hated the dashboard. Toyota Corolla, interior styling is fine but I just couldn't get past the gaping maw nose it now has. Chevrolet Cruze, styling on interior and exterior is fine but was still in the middle of multiple recalls. Dodge Dart, not a fan of the exterior styling and it was very slow in the fuel efficient engine package. Ford Focus, interior styling is fine, exterior styling just didn't work for me, but for such a long compact it was lacking in rear seat leg room. Mazda3, love the interior and exterior styling, love the acceleration with good fuel economy, but the sporty handling was the deal breaker due to wife's spinal problems. If wife was perfectly healthy, I would have jumped for the Mazda3. Just too harsh over bumps for her. Subaru Impreza, good all around but not as fuel efficient because of AWD and a bit more expensive. Mitsubishi Lancer, hell no! VW Golf/Passat, would have been happy with either but once I got up to the package to get fog lights, it went above my price range. Kia Forte/Hyundai Elantra, mechanically identical but with vastly different styling. The Kia Forte has the better interior styling while I fond of the exterior styling of the Elantra. The interior of the Elantra isn't bad, I just find the Forte interior better. So of the two, I looked at the Elantra. To get the fog lights, I only had to go up one option package from base model and most of the other things included in the package are things I would actually use on a regular basis AND it was still within my price range for a new car. It had enough acceleration for my daily driving needs and the suspension is fairly smooth over bumpy roads. Wife says it's smoother than her 2007 Chrysler Sebring (which she'll replace when we're financially ready) and is about as smooth as my previous car, 2003 Chevy Malibu. It also has plenty of leg room in the back seat and a trunk bigger than my Malibu's trunk. What's crazy is this compact economy car with a 1.8L engine is still faster in acceleration and cornering than my first car, a 1978 Chevrolet Camaro with 250 CU/IN or 4.1L inline 6 cylinder even if it were in mint condition. It was 8 years old and one of the cylinders didn't work.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree with you, but just as there are lots of people who buy Camry's, there are also lots of people who go to Kohl's and buy Dockers and a button up to wear to work, rather than more fashion forward clothes.

Similarly, just as one can go to J Crew or somewhere to buy more fashionable office attire, if you don't want a Camry, you can get a Mazda with the sport package or a used 3 series BMW or a Mustang. If you fancy yourself a granola hiker camper, you can buy a Subaru, and if you're an outdoorsman, a Pickup truck or a Jeep.
I agree I just feel as each new year passes there are less and less choices of new cars that I am interested in. Im definitely a Jeep guy but prefer the older Wrangler... too many electronics in the new ones, takes away what a Jeep was all about. I love Mustangs but they went European so Im out on those. Subaru, my wife and I tried two different times but just wasn't us and we are very outdoorsy. I like Toyota but the 4Runner is probably the only new one id buy. I think Nissan lost its way. Never have been a fan of Chevy, however, I like the new Silverado. I could keep going.

Just a couple of decades ago vehicles were really defined as to what there purpose was. They have been blended together mostly nowadays. Seems as though technology inside is what is more important to people these days.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Anyone notice that second gen Ford Explorers can be found relatively cheap and are a dime a dozen while a nice 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ are fetching over double a comparable explorer is on the used market even the 5.0 V-8 Explorers are fetching less $$$ then lower mile stock 4.0HO I-6 Jeep Cherokee XJs?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I've seen that as well. Some people still buy a car based upon the exterior looks, but it's the electronics that seals the deal for far too many people. To the OP, how did you feel about the original crossover, the AMC Eagle. To me it was a good design but was lacking in engine which is pretty much virtually every car of the 1980s.

Here's an idea of my buying process. Was in the market for a new car and wanted a compact sedan. My choice had to have fog lights and be within a certain price range. Honda Civic, didn't care for the exterior styling and hated the dashboard. Toyota Corolla, interior styling is fine but I just couldn't get past the gaping maw nose it now has. Chevrolet Cruze, styling on interior and exterior is fine but was still in the middle of multiple recalls. Dodge Dart, not a fan of the exterior styling and it was very slow in the fuel efficient engine package. Ford Focus, interior styling is fine, exterior styling just didn't work for me, but for such a long compact it was lacking in rear seat leg room. Mazda3, love the interior and exterior styling, love the acceleration with good fuel economy, but the sporty handling was the deal breaker due to wife's spinal problems. If wife was perfectly healthy, I would have jumped for the Mazda3. Just too harsh over bumps for her. Subaru Impreza, good all around but not as fuel efficient because of AWD and a bit more expensive. Mitsubishi Lancer, hell no! VW Golf/Passat, would have been happy with either but once I got up to the package to get fog lights, it went above my price range. Kia Forte/Hyundai Elantra, mechanically identical but with vastly different styling. The Kia Forte has the better interior styling while I fond of the exterior styling of the Elantra. The interior of the Elantra isn't bad, I just find the Forte interior better. So of the two, I looked at the Elantra. To get the fog lights, I only had to go up one option package from base model and most of the other things included in the package are things I would actually use on a regular basis AND it was still within my price range for a new car. It had enough acceleration for my daily driving needs and the suspension is fairly smooth over bumpy roads. Wife says it's smoother than her 2007 Chrysler Sebring (which she'll replace when we're financially ready) and is about as smooth as my previous car, 2003 Chevy Malibu. It also has plenty of leg room in the back seat and a trunk bigger than my Malibu's trunk. What's crazy is this compact economy car with a 1.8L engine is still faster in acceleration and cornering than my first car, a 1978 Chevrolet Camaro with 250 CU/IN or 4.1L inline 6 cylinder even if it were in mint condition. It was 8 years old and one of the cylinders didn't work.
I still base my car buying on exterior looks and the brands I like. Once I compile a list of possible brands and models then I look to compare my "must haves". If its not a brand I like I wont even consider it. Ive owned cars before that didn't really fit my personality and weren't all that fun to drive and I got bored with them and had to get something else. In the end I will probable stick with used cars. Rebuild some of the classics and fun with those. To answer your first question...the AMC Eagle was a beast. Thought it was cool when I was younger but never really liked the looks of it.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I love Mustangs but they went European so Im out on those.
How so? They offer the ecoboost engines, but you can still get a V8. The suspension was updated to an independent rear suspension, and lets be honest, it was about time. That old suspension was about as antiquated as an eight track.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
. If you fancy yourself a granola hiker camper, you can buy a Subaru, .
Ha, ha! Dontcha love stereotypes! We own two Subarus. And guess what? We don't care for granola!

(well... we are into camping and hiking tho and skiing and Mtn biking)

With that said, we bough our Subarus based on their snow performance. My Forester has over 8 inches of clearance-handy when the roads haven't been plowed and nice for rutted dirt roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive