Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM

70 posts, read 124,306 times

Advertisements

So I saw an add for a car on cars.com and contacted the dealer. I asked what the "out the door" price is. They sent a response with a price/profile of another vehicle. I then followed up and asked about the vehicle I originally asked about. I was told it is in stock. I asked what the price is (including taxes, license fee, documentation fee, etc) and they sent me a link to the ad that prompted me to contact them in the first place!

Apparently they don't want to negotiate online. I wanted to negotiate online without having to go to the dealer to haggle. Is this a bait and switch tactic or am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Usually an ad showing a discount is not going to be discounted further, though you can try. I saw an ad online which showed a car already $5k under sticker, and negotiated only on the trade-in, but when I got there my dealer found me two additional discounts when he put it into the computer, Ford loyalty and Ford Ranger owner. Once you are there in person, they become lot more helpful, because their chances of making a sale are so much higher.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
I've bought several cars online via negotiating via email. You need to reach the internet sales manager to actually get anywhere. All the other sales folks simply tell you to come in and talk to them at the dealership.

I'll typically work 2-3 different dealers at once and use each one to hammer down the price of the other. It takes a lot of back and forth but one will always cave in and either give you the price you want or often times beat it.

You'll also want to do a nationwide search for the car you're looking for on sites such as cars.com. I've found the exact car I wanted out of state that the local dealer in my area was offering at $5k more and claiming it was their special "internet price". Send the fools a link to the lower price car and after some haggling, you should have no problem getting the local dealer to match the lower out-of-state or out-of-area dealers price.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Usually an ad showing a discount is not going to be discounted further, though you can try. I saw an ad online which showed a car already $5k under sticker, and negotiated only on the trade-in, but when I got there my dealer found me two additional discounts when he put it into the computer, Ford loyalty and Ford Ranger owner. Once you are there in person, they become lot more helpful, because their chances of making a sale are so much higher.
Thanks for the info. I wondered about that. Prices have really gone up since the last time I was in the market (8 or so years ago)

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
The last two vehicles I purchased were all done via the internet and emails. As 01Snake mentioned, you need to contact the internet sales dept as that's all they do is negotiate deals without you ever walking in.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I've bought several cars online via negotiating via email. You need to reach the internet sales manager to actually get anywhere. All the other sales folks simply tell you to come in and talk to them at the dealership.
Actually that is who I am dealing with.

Quote:
I'll typically work 2-3 different dealers at once and use each one to hammer down the price of the other. It takes a lot of back and forth but one will always cave in and either give you the price you want or often times beat it.
I did see the same car at a dealership an hour away for $500 less (although different color)

Quote:
You'll also want to do a nationwide search for the car you're looking for on sites such as cars.com. I've found the exact car I wanted out of state that the local dealer in my area was offering at $5k more and claiming it was their special "internet price". Send the fools a link to the lower price car and after some haggling, you should have no problem getting the local dealer to match the lower out-of-state or out-of-area dealers price.
Thanks for the info. How much can I expect to pay for license and doc fee? Taxes alone will likely add at least 1,000 to the price.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM

922 posts, read 1,150,052 times
I've used Truecar for several past purchases and have had good results. Prices were lower than I could get from other buying services and own negotiations.

But I've noticed lately that their prices aren't as great as they used to be. They are constantly being undercut by Carsdirect. So you may want to check both for better prices.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
I've used Truecar for several past purchases and have had good results. Prices were lower than I could get from other buying services and own negotiations.

But I've noticed lately that their prices aren't as great as they used to be. They are constantly being undercut by Carsdirect. So you may want to check both for better prices.
I will check them out. Has anyone tried the AAA buying service?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:31 AM

76 posts, read 92,737 times
License and doc fees should be around $150-250, assuming you're buying from a dealership of that brand and not some mom n pop place (those places will sometimes sneak in some extra fees).

Old 03-28-2015, 02:39 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
I have a friend who had an old dark blue Subaru Forester bought new and now worn out. The old Subaru was donated to a charity. A flatbed truck picked it up in my driveway. My friend wanted a brand new dark blue Subaru Forester delivered here. Few dealers are interested in doing anything creative. A NH dealer agreed to deliver the vehicle to the woods of Maine. No Maine dealer was interested. Forester delivered. Check presented. That does not seem too complicated to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive