Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM

408 posts, read 723,550 times

Advertisements

original thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-not-junk.html

I'm looking into rebuilt engines/transmissions for my 1999 Dodge Durango, do I have to get the exact same engine type or since i'm pretty much replacing most of the under hood stuff, would I be able to possibly get a different type of engine/transmission combo?

Automotix® Used Engines & Transmissions
JASPER Engines & Transmissions: Remanufactured engine: diesel, marine, import
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Are you really sure both engine and transmission need to be replaced? If so, that is a double whammy. What happened to it?

To replace it with a different engine will require customizing, therefore, more money.

If you want an alternative to a rebuilt engine, try calling around for a junkyard for an used engine.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
If possible try and get the 5.7 Hemi

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
If possible try and get the 5.7 Hemi
the problem with that type of a swap and most expensive part will be getting the computer to work right

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the problem with that type of a swap and most expensive part will be getting the computer to work right
You can throw any engine in any car...as long as you got $$$$!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Are you really sure both engine and transmission need to be replaced? If so, that is a double whammy. What happened to it?

To replace it with a different engine will require customizing, therefore, more money.

If you want an alternative to a rebuilt engine, try calling around for a junkyard for an used engine.
there is this place in maryland called crazy ray's... alot of folks I know love it, but wouldn't recommend engines/transmissions..

and... yeah... now that you say "customizing" that does sound a bit more expensive...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
You can throw any engine in any car...as long as you got $$$$!
that's true but it's not like the old days of carbs where all you had to do was bolt it in and mate it to the the tranny then tune it with a screw driver those days are gone. now with advanced direct injection and muti-displacement it is alot diffrent and something I personally would not attempt unless a qualified shop did it.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Crazy Ray's is nice, but I rarely find what I want from them. They are a U-pull-it type yard. I don't think they warrant or even want to do anything with engines/trannies once they leave the yard.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Crazy Ray's is nice, but I rarely find what I want from them. They are a U-pull-it type yard. I don't think they warrant or even want to do anything with engines/trannies once they leave the yard.
yeah, but if I were to go to any junkyard, it would be there. I'm hoping I can find me a nice rear ended car of the same year/model.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
You could go with an engine/trans combo pulled from a junkyard, if you put the same engine and trans as the car came with in, from the same year or a "close enough" year (Mitchell Manual should say, junkyard should have one, what will fit..) but of course here you typically get 30 days warrenty, and this warrenty is just on the engine/trans, if one fails, the yard will give you another, but the R&R labor is still your problem.

Other extreme, you could get a rebuilt engine and a rebuilt transmission, from someone like Jasper, depending, you can get a pretty good warrenty on this. But it will cost more.

Depends on what kind of shape the rest of the car is in, and how well you like it, how well it meets your needs. To me, the Durango is not that desirable a vehicle, frankly. I'd junk it and get a small sports car, or a Japanese truck, or maybe Ford or GM truck, if you *really* need a truck. If you junk the Durango you should get at least a couple hundred bucks from a yard, assuming the body is good, they will make that back up on the first fender or hood they sell, of course. You could move on to something like a Miata that's fun to drive, reliable, and economical to operate. Or a Honda, Toyota, whatever.

Unfortunately you are in rust country there in MD, so really older rigs that you can get cheap and easily maintain yourself have probably rusted to the point of not being servicable.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but, them's me thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive