Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One of the reasons I might like a minivan is the ability to carry long, light objects inside the vehicle; say 7-9 feet long?
I purchased mine in order to carry larger items in an enclosed area that I don't need to climb into (like a pickup with a cap). I removed the center row and folded the rear row.

Quote:
A minivan seems to be the most fuel efficient way to do this,
and I find their higher seating more comfy than lower car seats for long drives...
but when it comes to off-pavement capabilities it seems to run into this grey area.
As to fuel efficient the AWD van has more drag, so it drops dramatically. As to seating its great to slide into and out of it (no climbing up like a 4x4 and climbing down like a sedan). The AWD crossover SUVs are basically sedans with height but none of them have the room, or capabilities, of a minivan. As to its off-road capabilities, it won't do snow hills like a 4x4. But is pretty good on light snow, light-medium slush, wet grass, mud. But on dry pavement you dont feel the power, and the steering is tighter, that is felt with a FWD.

People are starting too lose favor with minivans and moving towards crossover SUVs. They don't understand that lying the seats flat in a SUV is basically removing the seat backs. While doing the same in a minivan is like removing the seats completely. Having side doors that open flat or even powered is a pretty execellent abilty that the SUVs dont have.

I bought this van used from an area where AWD is rarely used. It was fully loaded, and clean, with every single option that was available (just love those heated and 10-way power seats) and paid about 20% of its original msrp. The only thing I needed to change on it were to get rid of the street tires that seem to come standard on any AWD vehicle and replace them with a tire that was designed to be an on/off road tire (I prefer Generals which give you the same utility as Michelins for half the cost) So as a utility vehicle its worth to have. But as a general drive around vehicle I prefer my RX.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
What's the deal with "4x4-Only" roads?
Clearance and meaty tires. Also a 4x4's underside is designed (and protected) to do many things a AWD just cant do. And they are talking about true 4x4s like Ford F series or Chevy 1500/2500. Not a SUV that has an option for 4x4 or AWD.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Get a used 3/4 Suburban. Those things are tanks.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Or a Tahoe because te shorter WD will handle rough better. Just kepp it as light as possible.Certainly much better than a AWD which I thnik l;imits the engine perforamnce too much on vans.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I've heard of a few years that Ford offered factory 4x4 in their full-size vans. Pretty-rare though.
not factory made./ they were conversions

Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not factory made./ they were conversions
That's what I thought. Lot's of Ford vans were converted but the market was never big enough for Ford to do a factory job.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Default Regarding "4x4 Only" roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Clearance and meaty tires. Also a 4x4's underside is designed (and protected) to do many things a AWD just cant do. And they are talking about true 4x4s like Ford F series or Chevy 1500/2500. Not a SUV that has an option for 4x4 or AWD.
Do you mean "skid-plates" that are usually added?
A new 4x4's tires might have some size to them, but typically very mild tread patterns.

Sounds like something like an old 2wd pickup or truck-based van with some good offroad tires
and maybe a locking rear-differential modification should be fine for generic "4x4-Only" roads in fairly-flat terrain.
Thoughts?

As far as tire size goes, sometimes a wide tire is a great advantage offroad, but not always.
Obviously for very-soft, deep terrain you'd want a wide tire for flotation. (so you don't sink down and get stuck)
But I've heard for some kinds of off-road terrain, a narrow offroad tire works better because it bites down harder from the increased "ground pressure."

Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
That's what I thought. Lot's of Ford vans were converted but the market was never big enough for Ford to do a factory job.
Those conversions are very common, I've seen Econolines/E-series from the mid-70s to almost brand new models with the 4WD running gear. I bet some were even sold through Ford dealerships. About 8 years ago a local guy had an early 80s one with a major suspension lift and 44" tires underneath, I'd always see it parked at the train station....looked REALLY cool and I wish I had taken a picture.

I'm trying to think of what other minivans were available with factory AWD/4WD....I know the Dodge Caravan had an AWD option in the mid-90s. Those funky looking Toyota and Mitsubishi vans were AWD equipped as well. Maybe the Toyota Previa? Early Previas also had a supercharged, mid-mounted four cylinder engine.

I just looked it up - Toyota Previa All-Trac was available from 1991-1997. From '94-'97 it came with a supercharged & intercooled 2.4l DOHC I4 good for 158HP. From '91-'92 the All-Trac could also be ordered with a 5-speed manual transmission, but only the naturally aspirated motor was available those years, which produced a wimpy 133HP. The manual transmission remained an option on the RWD Previa until 1993.

Pretty cool looking dash/interior setup for an almost 20 year old van! The first generation Previa wasn't a big seller to begin with, so the 5-speed/AWD models must be even harder to come by.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
On the Fords, IIRC there is/was an outfit that would do conversions, but they would only work on a new van. I think I read that in Jalopnik some time back.

I don't know about Toyota's All-Track, but I do know some of the domestic mini-vans with "AWD" actually had what I would call more of a "pseudo-AWD" that would transfer a limited amount of torque to the rear wheels for a limited time, then would give up before it overheated itself. Depending on what you want, this might or might not be good enough.

The idea of an old 3/4 ton Suburban is a good one if you don't plan to drive it daily or far, since they are pretty thirsty - but as a part-time, weekend vehicle, thirst and bulk are about the only downside. Whatever you can't load in the 'burban, you are justified in leaving home IMHO.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I had one of the Ford Econoline 4X4 vans as a work truck back in 1983, as well as a 1990 Ford 1 ton E-350 hightop extended conversion van that was 4X4. Both were converted as new vehicles before delivery from the dealer by Quigley.

I have an old 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban right now that I use for hauling the boat, camper, utility trailer, as well as runs to the lumber yard and anything else I need. gets a whopping 15MPG running down the freeway at anything below 70MPH. Above 70MPH and that figure drops like the proverbial rock. It has the 350 V-8 and the Turbo 400 tranny. The "Beast" will never win a drag race, but it will tow anything, and haul anything I need to. Plus it is a brute out in the pickers as long as you have decent tires on it. Looks like Hell, runs like Heaven; which is far better than the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive