Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 AM

380 posts, read 1,230,038 times

Advertisements

I would listen to the second generation mechanic steve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
The transmission is a complex device with clutch sets and planetary gear sets that wear and need proper lubrication. Changing the filter and replacing the lubricant is simply proper maintenance. The stories about staying with old lubricant and being 'accustomed' to a quantity of old fluid are nothing more than old wives tales. Proper maintenance of any mechanism requires clean filters and good lubricant.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The stories about staying with old lubricant and being 'accustomed' to a quantity of old fluid are nothing more than old wives tales. Proper maintenance of any mechanism requires clean filters and good lubricant.
Obviously you didn't read anyone's post.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
I will be doing a drain and fill very soon.... As "Las Vegas Drunk" mentioned, there is a drain plug on this car, so I'm just not going to worry about dropping the pan or the screen, I'll just do a drain and fill from this point on. Up to this point, it's had a flush every 30K miles... But based on what everyone's said, I won't be risking potential problems and will take a pass on a flush.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What happens when the same fluid is run in the transmission for high miles and is not maintained, all of the clutches and seals become acclimated to that old, seasoned fluid. If it is suddenly changed out then you induce a shock factor to those components and they begin to fail. Think of it like a blood transfusion, you just don't flush out someone's blood instantaneously.
My mom has a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL with 179K miles. Yep, 179K miles. Transmission fluid and filter is original to my amazement and the transmission still shifts fine. Should be just leave it in there? Maybe drain out a quart at a time, drive a few hundred, change a little more, etc or leave it be? If the tranny went out tomorrow, we have got our money worths out of it.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My mom has a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL with 179K miles. Yep, 179K miles. Transmission fluid and filter is original to my amazement and the transmission still shifts fine. Should be just leave it in there? Maybe drain out a quart at a time, drive a few hundred, change a little more, etc or leave it be? If the tranny went out tomorrow, we have got our money worths out of it.
Wow! If you want swap out the fluid I would certainly do it as slowly as you suggest. SLOWLY!!!

If you don't really care about the car then I wouldn't even bother.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, have never changed the tranny oil, it has 232,000 miles, it runs good - no problems. Should I change the tranny filter?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I will be doing a drain and fill very soon.... As "Las Vegas Drunk" mentioned, there is a drain plug on this car, so I'm just not going to worry about dropping the pan or the screen, I'll just do a drain and fill from this point on. Up to this point, it's had a flush every 30K miles... But based on what everyone's said, I won't be risking potential problems and will take a pass on a flush.
DIYing it will also give you experience in how to check your transmission fluid level correctly, which is a good thing to know how to do.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
After years of working on cars, my theory:
If the fluid has been regularly flushed (30k, 60k, 90k, etc.), keep flushing it.
If it's never been done, and it has over 100k miles on it, don't flush it. Drop the pan, change the filter, and top off.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If you have been regularly changing the fluid and filter then should be no problem. Normally this is with transmissions that have not been and can have blockages of passages from not doing it when new fluid is used. its the detergent thing he talked about. Hand best transmission guy I ever knew tell me that if people changed the fluid yearly after summer then he would be out of a lot of business. I have always changed at 25k and never had a transmission problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive