Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
That looks pretty cool, not only for the conserved resources but also because it appears to be in a very convenient location.

The question I have is this, though: Isn't it twice as dirty and messy to remove and dispose of the cartridge as it is to remove and dispose of an entire oil filter?
Why?

Open the top, whip it out and have a bag conveniently ready to slip it into instantly. Slip in the new one and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
The only new thing is the engine casting. This set up traps crud inside the element not outside. Can type does the same thing. I do wonder about cleaning the cast on container though, since a can type only has the surface to clean if you do, and the container of the element types can be washed in a cleaning tank.

Fram is no longer Fram, just the name is the same. My person opinion of these name only Fram is they are trash new in the box. I had 2 fail in a turbo engine car and I didn't like that a bit. I boguth 2 new, and the first failed in a few moments so I installed the other and it failed in the same time, leaving me stranded. The gauge went from full BAR to zip twice. I had to borrow a ride to get another not Fram filter.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
I still prefer canister type. Less mess. Hands stay oil free .

Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,914,785 times
Thats pretty neat. My '06 Canyon's oil filter is very easy to get too as well. But of course it's not a cartridge.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
The cartridge style in my earlier Ecotec 2.2 required a big-ass socket (36mm?), and a universal joint for your ratchet. Due to the way it was somewhat in-set, it was very easy to round off that plastic nut on the top. You also had to change the O-ring on the outside of that plastic casing. I personally can't stand that design, but Euro cars have been using it for what, 25-30 years now? There's really nothing cutting-edge about it.

I much prefer the old style filter that hangs downward near the oil pan. You break it loose first, let it drip out for a minute. Then spin it as fast as you can, bail out, and then it all drops on the pan. If you have a big enough pan, the oil flung out will be caught. Let it drip out, clean the face plate and install new filter. Cheap and easy.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Cads had the oil filter in the open engine compartment during the 50's...right on top next to the engine. I had the Frantz TP 2 ply tissue that I replaced every 1000 miles and added a qt of oil. Never pulled the pan plug for over 3-1/2 yrs. The oil was always honey colored...just loved that setup.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,024 times
I seen plenty of old trucks and tractors with oil filters like that and I don't like them.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
My old 1966 International Scout had a cartridge filter. You always ended handling more grease and oil because you need to inspect and lubricate the housing. Filters are still the same price.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Really. Every one I'v eever dealt with dumped oil on you the moment you broke it free and were spinning it off, and then dumped a buch as you dropped it into the catchbasin, wher eyou had to get it out in order to dispose of the oil anyhow. My BMW cartrige is mess-free, and I don't even have to wear gloves.

The worst were my old rotary engine Mazdas where the oil filter was a canister type, up on the top of the engine, upside-down (shown at the botom of the picture):

oil would dump everywhere when you took it off, and you could NOT pre-fill the canister with oil like normal or it would dump all over when you flipped it upside down to try and screw on.

In the later Mazdas it got worse, as the filter was harder to get at (though still on top). Again, in the lower right hand corner of the pic:

http://images01.olx.com/ui/1/26/93/f_41472393_2.jpeg (broken link)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Haha... wouldn't matter for me either way. If the oil is being changed that means all fluids are being checked, chassis is getting lubed, u-joints are getting lubed, tires are getting rotated, etc. Bound to get a little dirty no matter what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive