Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Buckling up is the law, but a new study is raising an important question -- is the very act of clicking the seat belt in place putting drivers and front seat passengers at more risk from their air bags in a crash?

In a study done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and reported by The New York Times, research suggests that the newest versions of air bags, required in all cars starting in 2008 or even 2004 in some cases, could be increasing the likelihood of death for front seat passengers and drivers in crashes.

Newer Air Bags Could Be Doing More Harm To Belted Drivers Than Good - The Consumerist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Buckling up is the law, but a new study is raising an important question -- is the very act of clicking the seat belt in place putting drivers and front seat passengers at more risk from their air bags in a crash?

In a study done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and reported by The New York Times, research suggests that the newest versions of air bags, required in all cars starting in 2008 or even 2004 in some cases, could be increasing the likelihood of death for front seat passengers and drivers in crashes.

Newer Air Bags Could Be Doing More Harm To Belted Drivers Than Good - The Consumerist
Quite the opposite. In the 1990s, airbags were huge, so if you didn't buckle up, the large bag would have a better chance that it could still stop you before you hit anything. Seat belts helped you out and reduced your risk of injury by quite a lot.

Today's airbags are far smaller, and inflate at lower pressure. So if you don't wear your seat belt, you're more likely to bottom out the bag and hit the wheel, dashboard, or windshield. On the flip side, today's airbags are softer and will cushion your body better than those of the 1990s. Crash test results have shown this. Seat belts help EVEN MORE in today's cars.

My 2008 Honda Accord has advanced airbags, and they are small enough not to hit me - even though I sit just a foot from the wheel. Old airbags often broke your nose at that distance. If I didn't buckle up, I would hit the windshield in a relatively minor crash. But with a seat belt on, I am likely to walk away because the bag is softer and more cushioning than those of the 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive