Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He shouldn't be here training with our military, IMO. If he was someone else of non-royal patronage or not a hereditary peer, it would be different. I expect our military to not suck up to him or refer to him as your highness or excellency or whatever other titles are used for him.
It's standard practice for some Air Corp pilots to train on Apache here in the US - I don't see why you feel he should be denied this step in his career progression.

Other than perhaps a higher level of personal security which he'll have no choice about, I'll bet that the last thing he'll expect or want will be "preferential treatment".

He's always maintained that when it comes to his military service his primary concerns are his troops and his performance as an officer - not his royal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Exactly. If any of our military treat him like royalty and like he's their master, they should be tried for sedition. To us, he's just another captain. Nothing more.
Agreed.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am amazed at the number of British Royals that have served in their Military. Even though born to the greatest privilege they are willing to put their arses on the line. They know that with privilege come duty. They do theirs.

That is more than can be said for most of our financial royalty.
They just should. They should be willing to fight for the nation that continues to give them riches and exalted, privileged status.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
It's standard practice for some Air Corp pilots to train on Apache here in the US - I don't see why you feel he should be denied this step in his career progression.

Other than perhaps a higher level of personal security which he'll have no choice about, I'll bet that the last thing he'll expect or want will be "preferential treatment".

He's always maintained that when it comes to his military service his primary concerns are his troops and his performance as an officer - not his royal status.
On the other hand, it'll also give him experience in other areas that will result in him being a better leader.

BTW - this is pretty standard. The US, Canada, and UK all trade personnel on a pretty routine basis. These soldiers (mostly Army and AirForce. Navy/Marines don't tend to trade as much,) are meant to act as liaisons between different forces that may have to work together in the future.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

haha well his brother flew a training exercise while in Canada but we still have our the old CHSS-2 Sea king Helicopter for search and rescue because the H-92 Superhawk was delayed by Sikorsky it ended up alot like the F-35 project having massive delays due to unforseen issues..So we let him fly something that is not really known to be safe anymore due to the high amount of flight hours they have.

I mean we let the future king of England fly something that had duct tape holding some panels on.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
^^ According to everything I've read about his military service he hates being treated differently to the others. Nobody will be expected to give him any preferential treatment over there just as nobody in our military is over here.
Interesting, I found a much sharper divide between Other Ranks (enlisted) and officers with the Americans than with any Commonwealth force.

I'm sure Arry will be happy with the occasional forelock pull.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Prince Harry will take training on the Apache attack helicopter in the United States, a U.S. military spokeswoman said Monday.
Harry, a British Army captain, won his wings in May 2010. At the time, the British Ministry of Defence said he would take advanced training on the Apache, a U.S. design flown by many air forces, including Britain's.
His U.S. training is part of the British army's training plan for Apache crews.
He will go to the U.S. Naval Air Facility in El Centro, Calif., in October, and then move on to the Air Force Auxiliary Air Field in Gila Bend, Ariz., base spokeswoman Michelle Dee said Monday.
The training in the United States includes environmental training, live firing and tactical exercises.
He will then join a British Apache squadron, but the ministry would not comment on his deployment plans, citing policy.

AH-64D Apache Longbow - "Destroying Targets" - YouTube
well I like perice harry over william he atleast fights for his country well that would be weird getting air cover from him plus if the taliban try to shoot at him he can fire back

Who cares? A member of the lucky sperm club is training on Apaches. BFD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation