Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 03:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times

Advertisements

Are there ways (online resources) to help one get familiar with the basics of flying before seriously enrolling for formal lessons? Do flight simulation work for such purpose? (I guess the first thing would be to purchase a flight simulation softward?) Sorry if my question sounds dumb as I know nothing about this. I stumbled upon this website vataware (at first I thought it's about real flights) and wonder if it or similar sites can help one with preparing for learning to fly. Is anyone familiar with that site? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 PM

966 posts, read 1,347,070 times
Flight sims can help, I used microsoft flight simulator between lessons and it did help to remember. As far as using it as a primer, you can use it to get familiar with the instruments and some flight controls, but don't count on it for much more than that.
The biggest basic if flying is if you pull back on the wheel or stick, the houses get smaller, if you keep pulling back, they get bigger again, also you cannot break the record for low flying, only tie it.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Pilot Regulations

Memorize all these links for a jump start. Problems is, most of that isn't required for a private pilot test. Best way to do it is probably to enroll in a ground school. Cost shouldn't be much, and you'll have an instructor to help answer your questions.

When I started flight lessons, the first thing I did was purchase a study guide (MANY years ago). I studied it, took the written test and had that part of it behind me. A year later, however, shortly before I took the flight test, I enrolled in a ground school. I learned a lot from that, even though I'd passed the written with high marks. I knew the answers, but it took an instructor to really help me understand some of it.

When it came time for commercial and instrument written tests, I just took the ground school and understood all of it from the start. I did get some free study guides from the FAA, but those were more for last minute studying.

I don't think computer simulators would help much with learning basic flight controls. I did do a little simulator time while working on my instrument ticket, but for basic VFR flying the idea is to only glance at the panel (regularly) but to keep your attention outside the cockpit. You can't do that with a simulator, at least not one you can afford to use.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the replies and the link. The rules in the link look quite intimidating for memorizing WyoNewk, you mentioned ground school; are there two types of pilot schools? How do I know which school to choose? Internet search brings out a good number of results. Any more comments and tips for the "pre-beginning" of learning to fly will be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I used the King study courses for my written.
Pilot Ground School

Old 07-06-2014, 12:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
also you cannot break the record for low flying, only tie it.
Lots of ties. Hilarious!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
WyoNewk, you mentioned ground school; are there two types of pilot schools? How do I know which school to choose? Internet search brings out a good number of results. Any more comments and tips for the "pre-beginning" of learning to fly will be appreciated.
The org called Airplane Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) has a good overview of how to get started...

Let's Go Flying: First steps

...the kinds of licenses and training necessary for each...

Let's Go Flying: Pilot Certificate Options

And much more. They are the largest organization of its kind.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks for the replies and the link. The rules in the link look quite intimidating for memorizing WyoNewk, you mentioned ground school; are there two types of pilot schools? How do I know which school to choose? Internet search brings out a good number of results. Any more comments and tips for the "pre-beginning" of learning to fly will be appreciated.
"Ground school" is mainly classroom instruction for the written test but may also cover other practical information needed to pilot an aircraft. Places that offer much flight instruction may also offer a couple private pilot ground school classes each year. Some also offer ground schools for instrument training -- again, classroom instruction needed to pass the FAA instrument written portion. I don't know how common these are anymore, but you could call the flight school(s) in your area and find out.

The other "type of pilot school" is the flying portion -- flying a plane to get the required skills and hours needed to take and pass the FAA check ride. To take the check ride and obtain a pilot certificate or advanced rating you must have a current FAA medical certificate, have logged the required hours of pilot-in-command and/or training time, and have passed the written test for the certificate or rating. (Some ratings don't require a written test, only a sign-off by a certified instructor.)

I haven't tested for a certificate or rating in several years -- before CDs or even VHS tapes. The study courses by King that Wartrace mentioned should work well in place of an organized ground school. Videos should really help.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 AM

Thanks, WyoNewk.

I know so little that I need to do more 'homework' before asking too many questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation