Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times

Advertisements

It's never easy for people who get squeezed out of their long-term jobs by corporate mergers, but flight attendants at United Airlines will be offered a sweeter package than most if they agree to voluntarily separate, to help the company get staffing levels down to sustainable levels without firing people.

The package offers up to $100,000, depending on years of service, to leave now. Given how challenging the job has become in the last few years, I don't imagine they'll have any problem finding takers.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Sept. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) and United Airlines today announced a one-time opportunity for Flight Attendants to voluntarily separate from the company with a payment up to $100,000. The Enhanced Early Out Program, announced in a joint letter from AFA Presidents Ken Diaz, Suzanne Hendricks and Marcus Valentino and management, is intended to resolve staffing issues at the airline and promote a landscape that supports the expedited negotiations underway for a joint contract. AFA issued the following comments on the unprecedented early out benefits for Flight Attendants:

"Today's historic announcement between AFA and management provides real options for Flight Attendants and a substantial commitment on the part of the airline to promote operational integration that recognizes the efforts of Flight Attendants. We are all engaged in an effort to ensure the success of United Airlines.

Flight Attendant Union And United Airlines Announce Unprecedented Early Out Program For Flight Attendants - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,617 times
This really bugs me! Back when Continental (now United) was having financial problems, the mechanics (my husband's group) was forced to take pay cuts. So were the pilots. The company said they all had to. The flight attendants refused to, and the issue was never forced with them. Now they are the ones being rewarded with early outs. The mechanics are being overlooked, as always. My husband would do it in a heartbeat!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Since I fly UA every month to Asia, looks like I will be joining my usual flight attendants in the 'Adios-program'.

I was offered Early Out #2 last week! (already left once, 10 yrs ago). Time for another payout and opportunity to use my miles on a RTW trip!

Retire early, retire often - too much fun to do only once!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Since I fly UA every month to Asia, looks like I will be joining my usual flight attendants in the 'Adios-program'. I was offered Early Out #2 last week! (already left once, 10 yrs ago). Time for another payout and opportunity to use my miles on a RTW trip!
Just curious about something, it used to be that after a certain number of years service as a flight attendant you earned a "free flights for life" available seats pass good on any airline... is that still the case?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just curious about something, it used to be that after a certain number of years service as a flight attendant you earned a "free flights for life" available seats pass good on any airline... is that still the case?
Highly doubtful. Especially on any airline.

When you retire you can still non-rev like a normal employee. As a non-rev you can purchase ID90's or ZED fares on other carriers however.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,527,358 times
This is just more of an attempt to weed out the Legacy United F/A's which have a different contract in favor of Continental's cheaper labor policy.

Personally, I think it's pathetic -- hence one of the many reasons why I completely avoid this airline.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
This is just more of an attempt to weed out the Legacy United F/A's which have a different contract in favor of Continental's cheaper labor policy.

Personally, I think it's pathetic -- hence one of the many reasons why I completely avoid this airline.
DAL and AA did the same (offered early outs), and all the other carriers have worse contracts than even the CAL F/A one, so it's not like you're doing anyone any favors.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,527,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
DAL and AA did the same (offered early outs), and all the other carriers have worse contracts than even the CAL F/A one, so it's not like you're doing anyone any favors.
Legacy UA is backed by the union which is unwilling to compromise. Mainly because Smisek and Houcrew wanted to take legacy UA F/A's and staple them to the bottom of the CO seniority list when 600 or so crossed over earlier in the year. Smisek is basically a Lorenzo in a different suit.

Some people say it's the union's fault, but I blame Smisek and his team of cronies for not being able to integrate 2 airlines into one 4.5 years after a merger is announced.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Legacy UA is backed by the union which is unwilling to compromise. Mainly because Smisek and Houcrew wanted to take legacy UA F/A's and staple them to the bottom of the CO seniority list when 600 or so crossed over earlier in the year. Smisek is basically a Lorenzo in a different suit.

Some people say it's the union's fault, but I blame Smisek and his team of cronies for not being able to integrate 2 airlines into one 4.5 years after a merger is announced.
Jeff a Frank Lorenzo? Either you don't know what FL did or you are sticking your head in the sand.

My understanding is L-UA had furloughed F/As and they were offered positions at CAL. Not really the same thing. That is pretty standard procedure before lists are combined.

Not sure why the two groups haven't combined, US+AA already have combined F/As, just waiting for SOC so they can intermix now. They have done a pretty crappy job (UAL+CAL), I agree with you there.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,398,458 times
The problem is that the really experienced flight attendants get the plum flights and they don't have to fly very often. They make pretty good money if they have been working 25-40 years. I would be surprised how many end up doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation