Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,638,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's not that hard for me to imagine that. We don't know what we don't know. We don't know if we are 1000 years away from instellar travel or just 20 years with one key breakthrough discovery. Look at how quickly our technology changed with the advent of electricity.

We in fact often do take specimens of primitive species. Sometimes we study them for the pure sake of science, to better understand life patterns. But sometimes it's to our great benefit, as when an animal seems to be immune to a disease that we are susceptible to and we need to understand why. Sometimes we use them for testing. Sometimes we treat them well, sometimes we don't...

BTW, do you think the average American is more innately intelligent than the average South Pacific headhunter?
No, but if I were having difficulty solving complex technological problems, and needed to bring in some sort of super-brain to show my staff how to crack the problem, that's probably not the first place I'd go to recruit one. I'd start with a group of people who've demonstrated a mastery of the kind of issue I'm trying to resolve. The idea that an alien race, having mastered the secrets of interstellar travel, would come all the way to Planet Earth to kidnap human beings because they need our scientific expertise is impossible for me to take seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
No, but if I were having difficulty solving complex technological problems, and needed to bring in some sort of super-brain to show my staff how to crack the problem, that's probably not the first place I'd go to recruit one. I'd start with a group of people who've demonstrated a mastery of the kind of issue I'm trying to resolve. The idea that an alien race, having mastered the secrets of interstellar travel, would come all the way to Planet Earth to kidnap human beings because they need our scientific expertise is impossible for me to take seriously.
That's a matter of education and upbringing, which could change in a generation. No, I doubt anyone would kidnap us to directly solve their technical issues but perhaps to study our reasoning skills and methods.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,040,149 times
I think it's possible that advanced civilizations have known of our existence for centuries. I'd like to believe that they've visited, and choose to leave our fate in our own hands - for better or worse. I think if they wanted to attack or harm us, they would have by now. If they possess all that is necessary for interstellar travel, I would think they had to find a way early on to get along; to help each other rather than try to off half or more of whatever planet(s) they inhabit. Not saying there are only peace loving beings out there in the universe....just that hopefully evolution of that degree required more cooperation than we seem capable of.

Which is why I think Flight 370's disappearance was intentionally orchestrated by humans. Not by error, not by accident or mechanical issue, not by aliens.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,638,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's a matter of education and upbringing, which could change in a generation. No, I doubt anyone would kidnap us to directly solve their technical issues but perhaps to study our reasoning skills and methods.
Now that's a very intriguing suggestion. I don't think that would ever have occurred to me. I still don't think it's the answer to this mystery, but I have to admit you've given me something to think about it. If I ever figure out a way to turn it into a marketable screenplay, I promise to find some way to acknowledge you for it!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Another Malaysian 777 has crashed:

Malaysian Plane Crash Russia Border - Business Insider

In addition, a week ago, a United 777 flying over the Pacific diverted due to a burning smell and electrical issues:

United 777 Diverts to Remote Pacific Island After Burning Smell Reported - ABC News

Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Sounds like a bad idea to fly Malaysian Airlines!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Another Malaysian 777 has crashed:

Malaysian Plane Crash Russia Border - Business Insider

In addition, a week ago, a United 777 flying over the Pacific diverted due to a burning smell and electrical issues:

United 777 Diverts to Remote Pacific Island After Burning Smell Reported - ABC News
The 777 has an excellent safety record. I believe the first fatality was the Korean Air crash at SFO when those girls were killed on the runway. That was caused by pilot error, not the plane. I think we already know that the 777 over Ukraine was shot down, we just don't know who shot it down. The verdict is still out on the other Malaysian Airlines 777.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,997,949 times
This newest incident involving a 777 seems to back up my theory that 380 neither exploded in mid air, or crashed anwhere.
Look at all the debris left in this latest incident in ukraine.
Bodies and debris scattered for miles.
Had flight 380 been involved in a similar incident, surely the debris field would have been similar.
I really believe flight 380 never touched the planet again,once it reached cruising altitude.
Bob.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I really believe flight 380 never touched the planet again,once it reached cruising altitude.
So it's in outer space?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This newest incident involving a 777 seems to back up my theory that 380 neither exploded in mid air, or crashed anwhere.
Look at all the debris left in this latest incident in ukraine.
Bodies and debris scattered for miles.
Had flight 380 been involved in a similar incident, surely the debris field would have been similar.
Bob.
There is going to be a huge difference in the size of the debris field if a plane explodes during flight compared to a plane crashing in one piece before impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation