Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
True but the previous search failed.

Where is the best place to begin a new search? The place where a part of the plane turned up.

They have to start somewhere and it should be near where the part turned up.
It is a pretty big ocean, it has been 18 months, doubt it is of any value to search for the crash site near this very small island.

I have spent a lot of lonely time on the ocean... it is REALLY big and EZ to loose; and hard to find VERY BIG items!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,296,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So, scientifically and mathematically speaking, probably the most wasteful, useless thing one could do is open a new search area near that island without any further evidence.
Not if the goal is to find additional pieces of wreckage floating with the currents. If there are several pieces washed ashore on this tiny island, then they are probably a small fraction of the number of pieces out there drifting. And while those pieces won't help locate the impact site all pieces are valuable and could contain clues. So while I wouldn't change the bottom search area for the main fuselage, I would deploy surface craft to look for floating debris near this island.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,193,613 times
It'll be interesting to see what analyses on this and future pieces have to say about how it went down. I've never been a fan of the "ghost ship" theory where everyone died and the autopilot somehow went through all those course and altitude changes by itself until running out of fuel. Nor does it seem to be ordinary terrorism, since no one claimed responsibility and there wasn't even any "chatter".

I've heard a few snippets in passing on CNN that the feds, I suppose the CIA, had come early on to the likelihood that it was intentionally taken over to be crashed. One possibility could be a suicide like the one in France.

Another possibility, a long shot, is that the plane had been taken over by computer systems hacking. I don't know if that could affect the several systems onboard at the same time, so that all communications and controls would be taken over. I could see Russia doing that, with the world leaders being quietly informed of it - the idea of "don't eff with me" that Putin gives so often ..... plus extortion, the threat of doing it again if demands were not met.

I guess at this time that suicide is the most likely of the scenarios I can see ..... but it doesn't really satisfy me, there were no warning signs of a grandiose suicidal personality among the cockpit crew, at least not that we know of.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:45 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,047,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The plane was not, and still may never be, found. All that can be said is that the plane did go down, as it wouldn't fly without that part. That takes care of all the conspiracy theories about the plane landing somewhere remote.
Well I was one of the ones entertaining that possibility, so one question off the table.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM

20,843 posts, read 17,166,050 times
All we know for sure is that the Malaysian PM is an absolute insensitive idiot.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
All we know for sure is that the Malaysian PM is an absolute insensitive idiot.
you sound like MUGATU!
Did you by any chance invent the piano neck tie?

Last edited by Thinking-man; 08-07-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,924,674 times
What side of the island were the parts found on? I would think they have a good idea which way the parts drifted from. Should be on the east side of the island, right?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,200,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
What side of the island were the parts found on? I would think they have a good idea which way the parts drifted from. Should be on the east side of the island, right?
*[...] Un débris d’avion a été retrouvé mercredi sur le littoral de Saint-André de La Réunion (dans l’est de l’île)*

Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 PM

102,295 posts, read 108,390,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
One of the engines on a 777 weighs about four tons. It will certainly move with the currents, but not so much as a wing or other part which has some "sail" surface and some buoyancy. Chances are that there will be a debris field out there somewhere with a couple of engines and some other heavy parts which have not been widely dispersed. Certainly it could be spread over several miles, but in an area where we are talking tens of thousands of square miles, a few miles is actually quite "concentrated".

And it WILL be found.
It will only be found if they decide to reinstate the search, which they haven't done. And finding a couple of engines might not tell them much. If it's the black box they want, the fuselage could be moving separately, and more swiftly.

I guess some people will just have to play a waiting game, to see if something turns up unexpectedly at some point, unless someone comes up with funding to do another search, a search that actually bears fruit.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It will only be found if they decide to reinstate the search, which they haven't done. And finding a couple of engines might not tell them much. If it's the black box they want, the fuselage could be moving separately, and more swiftly.

I guess some people will just have to play a waiting game, to see if something turns up unexpectedly at some point, unless someone comes up with funding to do another search, a search that actually bears fruit.
The search continues. Two research vessel with precision sonar..another year to completion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation