Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Just because it "could" have been pilot suicide doesn't prove it was.
Especially when there was a quarter of a ton of lithium batteries on board.
Especially by a man that would take his time to help millions of people fix their household items by posting "how to" on you tube.
Especially when he had children that he loved, a job that he loved and friends that respected him.

This is a man who *cares* about other people enough to wear a t saying democracy is dead.

By the way, his family didn't "leave him", they always did this when he was on a flight.
No one ever said it was definitely suicide or that anything "proves" it. Most who commit suicide had people they loved and loved them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Or it was an accident due to fire, which I tend to believe more.
There was no explosion detected.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
I don't understand why so many of you seem desperate for these fringe theories (that have been all but disproven by sensible people) to be the solution to this "mystery". All those theories rely on either A) details that haven't been confirmed and are therefore pure speculation or B) a lack of understanding of how airplanes, airplane communication, and/or airplane mechanical and electrical failures work. Frantic Googling about planes (and talking to someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone that knows a bit about planes) when you first heard the story hardly makes you an expert on the subject. You all would be better putting these grand imaginations of yours to work by writing a sci-fi or action/adventure novel rather than sitting around placing suspicion on 239 real people who tragically died at this point, according to innocent-until-proven-guilty, due to no fault of their own.

There's a reason that the least credible and the most sensationalistic news sites and channels are the only ones jumping on this story, and that reason is that smart people don't put out solutions until they have all the facts. I know it's frustrating that this "mystery" isn't one that's likely to be solved anytime soon, but that's how solving mysteries works in the real world.

So far, I think Chris Goodfellow put out the best theory, but I prefer not speculate. Instead my condolences go out to the families and friends of the passengers and crew, as they deal with the news that their loved ones are likely gone forever.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No one ever said it was definitely suicide or that anything "proves" it. Most who commit suicide had people they loved and loved them.
Along with everything else I mentioned in the post, suicide is not very likely.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I don't understand why so many of you seem desperate for these fringe theories (that have been all but disproven by sensible people) to be the solution to this "mystery". All those theories rely on either A) details that haven't been confirmed and are therefore pure speculation or B) a lack of understanding of how airplanes, airplane communication, and/or airplane mechanical and electrical failures work. Frantic Googling about planes (and talking to someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone that knows a bit about planes) when you first heard the story hardly makes you an expert on the subject. You all would be better putting these grand imaginations of yours to work by writing a sci-fi or action/adventure novel rather than sitting around placing suspicion on 239 real people who tragically died at this point, according to innocent-until-proven-guilty, due to no fault of their own.

There's a reason that the least credible and the most sensationalistic news sites and channels are the only ones jumping on this story, and that reason is that smart people don't put out solutions until they have all the facts. I know it's frustrating that this "mystery" isn't one that's likely to be solved anytime soon, but that's how solving mysteries works in the real world.

So far, I think Chris Goodfellow put out the best theory, but I prefer not speculate. Instead my condolences go out to the families and friends of the passengers and crew, as they deal with the news that their loved ones are likely gone forever.
A quarter of ton of lithium batteries would have blown-up the plane if they caught fire. My condolences to the families as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Along with everything else I mentioned in the post, suicide is not very likely.
Nothing you mentioned makes suicide unlikely. Your premises about what suicidal people do are wrong.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:

There are many people posting who want to know the truth. Simple thing really. Not sure why you want to beat 'em up for it but so be it.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
The suicide theory originally made the least sense to me. None of the theories makes sense. Now, it's possible that there was an emergency and coordinates were put in because the pilot knew it would give them several hours to get the problem under control. Originally, Malaysia was saying the flight path was inputted before the turn. Then they changed it and said it was after. They're either lying or rushing to release information when they probably should wait until they have hard facts. If the turn happened before the "all right, good night," it's suspicious. If the turn happened after the "all right, good night," I would be more inclined to go with some type of emergency.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:

The point of a discussion forum is to discuss.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nothing you mentioned makes suicide unlikely. Your premises about what suicidal people do are wrong.
To understand why suicide is unlikely, I feel common sense should be used.
If 1 million people die? How many are due to suicide compared to how many of those are due to an accident?
The pilot had no reason to commit suicide that anybody knows other than false rumors of an unhappy home.
There is every reason to suspect something went wrong that caused the plane to malfunction.

The oil rigger saw what he believed to be fire, did the pilot send off a flare announcing his suicide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation