Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITYinternational View Post
but my mind is like whoa be cautious last thing we need is everyone running to the Indian Ocean with our guard down everywhere else.
This is what's so scary to me about the whole thing. It's going on 7 days now with no real answers. This is all so bizarre and unsettling at the same time. I really feel for those families that have no resolve or closure to what has happened to there loved ones. I think the U.S. has the resources to assist in finding out answers but why now? Why a week later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times

Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
I'm not sure if anyone has asked or not: When will the large scale search be called off?

No offense meant if this was previously asked. This thread is getting a lot of pages now. Hard to go through it all. And certainly no harm meant to families who are grieving this loss. But I wonder when the time will come that it's time to look at the possibility of this plane being lost forever?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has asked or not: When will the large scale search be called off?

No offense meant if this was previously asked. This thread is getting a lot of pages now. Hard to go through it all. And certainly no harm meant to families who are grieving this loss. But I wonder when the time will come that it's time to look at the possibility of this plane being lost forever?
The 'black boxes' locator beacon has a battery life of 30 days if the aircraft has indeed crashed at sea. I assume after 30 days, that it would become incredibly unlikely to locate the aircraft using primary search and rescue techniques if they don't have a clear search area. Over time, debris may float on shore or be discovered on land.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
If they want hostages, by now they have already announce that they have all these people for ransom...
They want many things but it all boils down to... they want terror. They want a climate of fear and uncertainty.

They want to show that they can still get planes. They want people to think every time they get on a plane that, despite all the increased security, it can still happen. You might be able to buy a used plane on the market but that is being watched and any buyers would be scrutinized.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
Plus, buying a plane might "only" cost 4 million dollars, but stealing a plane is free.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,998 times
Now that we are hearing that the two transponders were turned off at different time, there was some sort of radar blips that "may" (or may not) be Flight 370 heading west towards the Indian Ocean, it indicates this was not a mechanical failure, but rather deliberate human action.

I also find it curious that China keeps pushing for a South China Sea crash. First with the debris photo, and today I heard that China states their was non-seismic event on the sea floor about 72 miles from where the plane's last verifiable location was. Their belief is that the plane crashed on the seabed there.

Lots of intrigue here. Right now, I'm leaning towards pilot comandeering plane, either both pilots or one, and if one I'm leaning towards the pilot who was fascinated with flight simulators. To fly a plane under the radar, for so long, would require some advanced flying skills.

I have a theory as to why, doesn't everyone everyone at this point? The plane was flown into the Indian Ocean. If you recall, the Indian Ocean is the allleged final resting place of Osama Bin Laden. Perhaps a Bin Laden sympathesizer wanted to give some sort of "offering", or get even for dumping Bin Laden there, and took a plane full of people to that end.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Thank you emcee. So, even though the clock for how long we will look is infinite, there is a finite amount of time the black box will ping it's location. Not that it is doing that right now....

I am drawn to two conclusions right now: This thing has crashed, and is on the bottom of the sea floor intact, as it executed a water landing, then sunk quickly before emergency equip could be deployed. The whole thing, with all of it's passengers, could literally be at any depth, and there be little in the way of evidence, with the black box ping being so far below the surface that it's undetectable.

My second conclusion is much more sinister. Someone has coordinated a takeover of the plane in air, has taken it to a remote location and disabled all location reporting equipment. This would be the easiest way to actually possess something like this and go undetected, as any large transaction to purchase equipment like this would be tracked in some way. A terrorist org could not buy something like this: in fact, only a well known buyer with legit needs could buy one through any means other than illegal activity. Even then, the other cargo, people, are easily expendable to people like this.
Sorry for the dark thoughts there, but that's all I can come up with. A crash into some mountains somewhere remote would have put off at least smoke that would have been detectable by radar, I would think.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
If they want hostages, by now they have already announce that they have all these people for ransom...

Not so fast, in Iraq, the enemy waited months, sometimes even longer before making any public announcement and or statements that they had in fact taken hostages. The 'Terror Factor", Let the Americans squirm and figure it all out. This is a FACT.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
The new report is that the 2 responders were turned off at different times, the second at 1:21am. Then the plane flew another 4+ hours per data from the engines.
If the pilot, who had a flight simulator in his house of all places, wanted to hijack the plane and kill himself then why would he turn off the responders and then fly the plane for many 4+ hours before doing it? This does not sound like the Egypt Air flight, as the Malaysian pilot should have acted quickly to end the flight, but he did not if the plane did indeed fly 4+ hours afte the communication systems were manually turned off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation