Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The problem is people focusing on one solution, because it's simpler to comprehend - be it hijacking, aliens, etc. The solution I am betting will be a combination of factors all tied together into this mystery, it usually is. Pilot mishandling and poor in-flight operating processes, equipment failure or sabatoge, and inept Malaysian investigation. It doesn't help also that we are getting so many contradictory and incorrect information from the press, leaping on any bit of information no matter if it's not confirmed.
Without a clear answer to this mystery, the mind does tend to wander towards the more extreme. That, coupled with our instant-gratification society, makes conspiracy theories and other scenarios more prevalent. Still, we can't rule anything out. The mystery, and an odd release and backtracking of information, is very annoying and strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources | Reuters

Article raises some new points. And one of the commentors at the bottom mentioned the cryptic similarity to our own September 11, 2001 attacks happening on 9/11, and this plane being flight 370 happening on 0307...

Probably paranoia.

Unless I am spacing out and forgetting something, the reason the 9/11 attacks were called that was BECAUSE they happened on 9/11/2001 so I don't see any resemblance. None of the planes were flight 911 or anything.

Now, this radar stuff flying all over the place is some crazy stuff, that's for sure.

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What if there was a catastrophic electrical failure and the pilot, experienced in flight and on the simulator, tried desperately to manually fly the plane, at night, with none of the regular guidance systems working? And then failed to find a place to land it safely. Is this a possibility?
It sure is..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
who knows...maybe the pilot was a real hero...I believe the plane was hijacked by passenger(s) and they had him turn the transponder off. Told him to fly to a certain destination, hence the turn-around of the plane. But maybe the pilot flew around off course trying to somehow save the passengers and the plane. The hijackers may not have known really where he was flying or might have been killing passengers off...the pilot could have given the HJ's the idea that he was flying the way they wanted him to go, but he was trying desparantly to get some kind of signal out or hope that another plane would spot him. I think it's a possibility that he finally ran out of gas, or was very close to running out of gas, and finally had to ditch the plane in the water, or even over land somewhere. With this man's love of flying, I think he would have done everything he could to save everyone.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
I can't help to think, a long after we're old and grey or gone, the people still will be talking about this story.

It very well maybe Aviation history of the weird..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
By now I think it's obvious that someone didn't want that plane to land in Beijing, and that someone wasn't mother nature

Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
A topic on hypothetical scenarios would be interesting, i'm thinking this plane will rematerialize on course and land where its supposed to land, however all the people have aged 50 years..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default my two cents

My take is that this was a pilot suicide. Similar to JFK EgyptAir. One pilot left the cockpit to visit the washroom and then the other pilot turned off the transponder and dove the aircraft strait into the ocean to stop the internal pain inside of him.

Simple as that. There is no radar coverage over the ocean.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Two of the three communicating devices we're turned off purposely? at this point who really knows, the ping coming from the back tail is in fact (a text message) that sends messages at curtain times containing information about the Aircraft one of which is location. It comes down to three scenarios, One) it crashed. Two) The Aircraft was taken over for a purpose. Three) One of the pilots went nuts. It's two that concerns me a bit, the radius of the flight pattern in that amount of time, in theory it's conceivable that the plane has landed some where's off the grid, to be used at a later time. Just a thought.
Why do pilots have the ability to turn off transponders and the like? I can understand the military need to do so, but not a commerical airliner.

Last edited by USNRET04; 03-14-2014 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2014, 12:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It would appear that no group has taken credit for hijacking/stealing the plane. This makes me wonder. Usually by now someone would have bragged about doing it.
In the last 10 years terrorist groups have not been "bragging". Even 9-11 went without anyone taking credit. The only way we knew it was Bin laden was because of a video of Bin laden saying how great it worked and that he thought the US would probably sue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation