Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If he lost power in one engine just after rotation, the plane was doomed.
This is positively untrue with this type of aircraft. If it is a simple engine failure and the failed engine's propeller feathers it will climb on a single engine.

It was certified for this. The aircraft would have not been certified for the types of operations it preforms if it could not climb if an engine fails on takeoff.

Disclaimer - The airplane is being operated within the performance envelopes it was tested and certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
If it was in a sim of sorts then that falls into the category of a lot of maybes.
Your statement just said that if a pilot trains to proficiency in a simulator it does not mater. Because when the emergency happens in a "real" airplane it won't be like the simulator.

Am I correct in understanding your statement?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
The FDR will tell the final story on this one!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Your statement just said that if a pilot trains to proficiency in a simulator it does not mater. Because when the emergency happens in a "real" airplane it won't be like the simulator.

Am I correct in understanding your statement?
No, what I am saying is that every time there is an aircraft down out come the simupilots that claim this and that as if it is all fact when the most experience they probably have is little more than what gets displayed on the screen of a laptop.

The fact is no one knows for certain and if it was all as simple as those saying it is, then it wouldn't have happened most likely. Disaster has a way of bringing complexity to anything.

If people are going to claim this and that (like having trained in the aircraft) then by golly they should also state what that experience is. Taking a few lessons in a Cessna and then being a screen jocky doesn't qualify one to state one way or another what that plane could or could not do. They forget that it was the pilot could or could not do and why, something no amount of gaming will ever answer.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
No, what I am saying is that every time there is an aircraft down out come the simupilots that claim this and that as if it is all fact when the most experience they probably have is little more than what gets displayed on the screen of a laptop.

The fact is no one knows for certain and if it was all as simple as those saying it is, then it wouldn't have happened most likely. Disaster has a way of bringing complexity to anything.

If people are going to claim this and that (like having trained in the aircraft) then by golly they should also state what that experience is. Taking a few lessons in a Cessna and then being a screen jocky doesn't qualify one to state one way or another what that plane could or could not do. They forget that it was the pilot could or could not do and why, something no amount of gaming will ever answer.
Good post... Most accidents owe themselves to a series of events.. What may seem like the most 'obvious' may be a factor, but usually only one of quite a few.. Even the most experienced pilot of that a/c type, the ATR-600 could only speculate on cause because the cause is the many factors revealed through methodical investigation that unearth's each one and finally connecting all the pieces together.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Taiwan air crash pilot hailed a hero for steering doomed flight away from skyscrapers | World news | The Guardian
"The pilot was applauded by aviation experts for apparently steering the plane away from populated areas and high-rise buildings to avoid causing more damage with the aircraft which had 53 passengers and five crew on board."
Honestly, the question in my mind is why was he flying over the city in a situation to have to avoid the skyscrapers? Does the normal takeoff route go straight over the heart of the city or did he steer over it trying to return to the airport?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Ah, I see the difference in what we are talking about When you say simulator you think something you would have at home....on a desk.

When I say simulator I automatically think a Level D simulator.

https://www.asti-usa.com/news/2009/0429_2.jpg

If you are trained to proficiency on engine failure at V1, with a RVR of 600 feet, and negative auto feather in a Level D simulator then you will be able to handle them in a real airplane.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:47 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
BBC News - TransAsia GE235: Taiwan crash plane 'lost engine power'

Old 02-06-2015, 06:18 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,001 times
Quote:

If you were knowledgeable enough, you could easily separate the aviation professionals from the fanboys in this thread. An aviation literate individual can easily determine by the poster's use of terminology and the phraseology they use in describing events, which camp they fall into.

The posters you're challenging here, are the real deal. I think you have a casual interest in aviation, and just drop into this forum to troll on occasion.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
If you were knowledgeable enough, you could easily separate the aviation professionals from the fanboys in this thread. An aviation literate individual can easily determine by the poster's use of terminology and the phraseology they use in describing events, which camp they fall into.

The posters you're challenging here, are the real deal. I think you have a casual interest in aviation, and just drop into this forum to troll on occasion.
I was thinking the same thing, I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and even I can spot who the people are that have real world experience with this stuff, mainly SluggoF16 and wheelsup. Mack, maybe you should elaborate as to why you hold yourself up above someone like wheelsup, whom you appear to have a real hard-on for? What exactly is YOUR real world experience that gives you the upper hand in the discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation