Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

This is a REAL long shot, but I'm going to ask it anyway (in a few places).

Does anyone know where to find (or maybe even remember) a Steve Canyon episode where Summer Olson's kid was jailed in Turkey?

I have looked and couldn't find it.

I vividly recall the last frame of the strip and that incident. It has (suddenly) come to mind dozens of times over the years, and I don't remember the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Doesn't ring an immediate bell but as we go off on this search, let me ask......we are talking about the son, right? Not the daughter?

Mind you, this was a comic I read as a young teen in "Stars and Stripes", so while I recall there were two children, I think, I don't know how they quite "came about".

Old 02-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Doesn't ring an immediate bell but as we go off on this search, let me ask......we are talking about the son, right? Not the daughter?

Mind you, this was a comic I read as a young teen in "Stars and Stripes", so while I recall there were two children, I think, I don't know how they quite "came about".
I mean Summer Olson's kid, without looking all over creation, I think the name was Leighton Olson. In "later" years Steve and Summer were "hinted" at being married. The boy/young man was her son from her first marriage.

After Milton Caniff died, the very last frame of the actual strip (according to my memory) shows the young man with something like a burial mound and he said something to the effect of, "I just buried my father." It was powerful. Milton Caniff is dead and with that Steve Canyon is dead, as if Steve Canyon was his alter-ego.

I don't remember Steve Canyon ever having any children of his own. Milton Caniff didn't either, but he sort of adopted a nephew and I think two nieces.

There was also (I think) a frame showing the signatures of famous cartoonists of the day maybe one frame after that, but the last frame of the actual story was as described above.

The episode about the Turkish jail may have been sometime around when Turkey joined NATO.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Okay, then Leighton was the small kid, with the tall wispy long haired blonde girl and the short bald headed guy that looked like a miniature Uncle Fester? The football kid who could drop kick oodles and oodles tens of yards? Wasn't there a snow storm where they had flares on the goal posts?

That kid?

About there being another child, this was the first one I came across:
http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/C...7/MCSC3jpg.jpg

I always took it she was a daughter of our hero; but according to this
Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. - Steve Canyon

she's our hero's cousin Poteet. At least one source said she was his ward for a time.

In doing research for this, I see there was a bit more than just the comic strip in the newspapers, such as a comic book and at least a movie. With that in mind, maybe there were different stories going around and the one you are looking for might be there?

Old 02-11-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay, then Leighton was the small kid, with the tall wispy long haired blonde girl and the short bald headed guy that looked like a miniature Uncle Fester? The football kid who could drop kick oodles and oodles tens of yards? Wasn't there a snow storm where they had flares on the goal posts?

That kid?

About there being another child, this was the first one I came across:
http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/C...7/MCSC3jpg.jpg

I always took it she was a daughter of our hero; but according to this
Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. - Steve Canyon

she's our hero's cousin Poteet. At least one source said she was his ward for a time.

In doing research for this, I see there was a bit more than just the comic strip in the newspapers, such as a comic book and at least a movie. With that in mind, maybe there were different stories going around and the one you are looking for might be there?

The old man you are thinking of was probably Happy Easter, a wealthy eccentric. The blonde girl, maybe Poteet. The little boy in some scenes grew up. It's Leighton Olso, Jr. I don't remember much about a great teenage football talent.

By the time the strip gained real popularity (as in TV show), I was pretty much beyond the comic book stage, although I do vaguely recall there may have been such comic books at the local drug store. I followed it in the daily newspaper. I'm from Dayton, where Milton Caniff grew up, and it was pretty big stuff there.

Thanks for the links, but I got a "Forbidden" with the first one. The second was a bit informative. Someone on another board said Ohio State University has copies of all of Caniff's stuff, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
You guys are going back quite a ways. I remember "Steve Canyon" so I guess I am as well. It was a remarkable piece of propaganda.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You guys are going back quite a ways. I remember "Steve Canyon" so I guess I am as well. It was a remarkable piece of propaganda.
Propaganda? For what?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
You brought back some childhood memories! But sorry I can't help.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You brought back some childhood memories! But sorry I can't help.
Well, I'm glad it had some value to you anyway.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:59 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
This is a REAL long shot, but I'm going to ask it anyway (in a few places).

Does anyone know where to find (or maybe even remember) a Steve Canyon episode where Summer Olson's kid was jailed in Turkey?

I have looked and couldn't find it.

I vividly recall the last frame of the strip and that incident. It has (suddenly) come to mind dozens of times over the years, and I don't remember the story.
How much are you willing to pay?

Steve Canyon The Complete Series HC 2011 1 1st | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation