Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco is the number 1 unserved destination of Indians. By a margin of 2-to-1 over 2nd place LA.

Top Destinations by the number of Daily Passengers Originating in India with no Direct Flights
San Francisco 620
Los Angeles 296
Milan 273
Washington DC 237
Vancouver 232
Business Standard
Flying to India from the west coast is a bit different than flying to India from the mid west or east coast. The reason is that it's the same distance flying east or west from the west coast to India so you have competition from both European and Asian airlines as well as the ME2 carriers.

I have always felt that foreign flagcarrier's is a true indication on how much demand your city is to the rest of the world. Currently there are only three cities in the US that offer nonstop flights to the cities you indicated on foreign metal all year round. NY, LA, SF and soon to be BOS in May 2015.

Some cities like Dallas and Atlanta have flights on US carriers to those destinations due to being large airline hub cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Check-list for NON-STOP:

- New York: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Toronto: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Los Angeles: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Chicago: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- San Francisco: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Vancouver: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Dallas/Fort Worth: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Boston: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong
- Seattle: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong

- Houston: London, Paris, Tokyo
- Atlanta: London, Paris, Tokyo
- Washington, D.C.: London, Paris, Tokyo
- Mexico City: London, Paris, Tokyo
- Detroit: London, Paris, Tokyo
- Minneapolis: London, Paris, Tokyo

- Miami: London and Paris
- Denver: London and Tokyo
- San Diego: London and Tokyo
- Philadelphia: London and Paris
- Montreal: London and Paris

No Paris for San Diego and Denver? Miami should be getting Tokyo (Narita) soon. Kind of want Haneda but Narita is the international gateway of Japan.
I know Denver is working on more non-stop overseas flights. I thought I heard China mentioned? There is also a daily non-stop to Reykjavic, Iceland on Icelandic.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Boston has all the big 5 as well (Direct to HKG on Cathay Pacific starts 5/2/15)

Very few Airports had a better last couple years than Logan when it comes to adding direct International carriers. Deval Patrick deserves alot of credit for that. Good read for anyone interested (Planning, personal touches helped Logan land new direct flights around the world - Business - The Boston Globe)
The joke around our office is that Logan gets a direct flight to a major foreign hub whenever someone high up enough in the country (or the airline) has a kid going to college here.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Tokyo is more rare. But even the mid-size cities in America will have nonstop flights to London and/or Paris. Even if you're on the West coast, there'll be a nonstop to London.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Tokyo is more rare. But even the mid-size cities in America will have nonstop flights to London and/or Paris. Even if you're on the West coast, there'll be a nonstop to London.
Agree. Once we get into the discussion about secondary European cities it's usually only the big four or five international US cities that cover those smaller secondaries European cities.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Tokyo is the most common Asian city to expand into North America though. I mean even with a place like Miami that is only 1.9% Asian in it's entire metropolitan area with little to no Japanese population at all, Tokyo will be the first (and possibly only) city of Asia expanding here.

Tokyo has been VERY aggressive in expanding to overseas markets too and as 2020 draws closer, we'll see even more of that.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:43 PM

It's been in discussion for many years about MIA-NRT. If this route does materialize it will be on American metal. JAL is not in the business of flying ultra long haul flights with questionable yields (MIA). The expansion of Asia service from DFW further diminishes any chance Miami of getting an Asian flight in the near future

Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
It's been in discussion for many years about MIA-NRT. If this route does materialize it will be on American metal. JAL is not in the business of flying ultra long haul flights with questionable yields (MIA). The expansion of Asia service from DFW further diminishes any chance Miami of getting an Asian flight in the near future
That's fine. We have enough foreign flag carriers (I am sure you are aware). I just want it to materialize. Not for bragging rights but because Tokyo is my second favorite city on planet Earth and to not have a connection to it is an absurdity.

I don't like connecting through other places, makes me feel like my city is deficient, makes me feel low. I want our own connection, no more connecting through Atlanta, no more.

I think Tokyo will do it, they've been studying the Miami market for years now (similar to how India has been studying CA and TX). Tokyo will be going gangbusters in regards to expansions anyhow, they have a big 2020 coming up, all of the world's eyes will be on them and they will aggressively expand in the Western Hemisphere. Cannot imagine a lot of cities being ahead of Miami for a route.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Fun fact: The distance and flying time from San Diego to either Tokyo or London is almost identical (about 75 miles further to Tokyo). Goes to show how truly enormous the Pacific Ocean is and how calling the Atlantic "The Pond" is not so much of a stretch.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Tokyo is the most common Asian city to expand into North America though. I mean even with a place like Miami that is only 1.9% Asian in it's entire metropolitan area with little to no Japanese population at all, Tokyo will be the first (and possibly only) city of Asia expanding here.
In keeping with original post (HNL and Guam not counted)

Flights to North America from Tokyo Narita

American Airlines: Los Angeles , Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth,
United Airlines: Los Angeles, Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, Houston-Intercontinental, Newark, San Francisco,
Washington-Dulles
Delta Air Lines: Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma

All Nippon Airways: Los Angeles, Houston-Intercontinental (begins 12 June 2015), New York-JFK, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), Seattle/Tacoma, Washington-Dulles
Japan Airlines: Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago-O'Hare, New York-JFK, San Diego, Vancouver
Singapore Airlines: Los Angeles

Air Canada: Calgary, Vancouver, Seasonal: Toronto-Pearson
Aeroméxico: Mexico City-Monterrey
-----------
Tokyo is the gateway to Asia, just as LAX is the gateway to Northern America. There is a 6-way competition for NRT-LAX. If you are going to start flights to Asia you start with Tokyo first. The infrastructure to transfer to other parts of Asia is best from Tokyo.

These so called Fifth freedom allows an airline to carry revenue traffic between foreign countries as a part of services connecting the airline's own country. The use of the 5th freedom has become more pronounced in recent years with Singapore Airlines flight from NRT to LAX. Emirates plans to make extensive use of 5th freedom flights between Europe and Northern America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation