Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times

Advertisements

I saw a show on TV a long time ago about how fewer and fewer air traffic controllers are being given more and more work, and that this load is becoming very burdensome. Has this trend continued/is it continuing? Just how understaffed is it today, presumably from the airline industry trying to cut costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 02:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
The FAA is a federal agency, has nothing to do with airlines and them trying to keep a lid on costs.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:58 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Many of the current controllers were hired in 1981 after they were fired by Pres. Reagan for striking. Those controllers are now eligible for retirement and they aren't hiring/training new recruits at a fast enough rate for equal replacement.

Also, controllers are employed by the FAA; not airlines.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,260,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Many of the current controllers were hired in 1981 after they were fired by Pres. Reagan for striking. Those controllers are now eligible for retirement and they aren't hiring/training new recruits at a fast enough rate for equal replacement.

Also, controllers are employed by the FAA; not airlines.
And, another major problem is that the FAA changed the hiring rules mid-stream!! My son graduated with an airport management major with an air traffic control minor - took his boards (ATSATS) and did not pass the biographical exam that they decided they wanted to put on these tests....The reason being that Mr. Fox, transportation secretary under Obama decided to 'diversify' the ATC and allow kids from off the streets apply with zero background in aviation at all (son interned several years as an atc, took his boards and passed with a 97%......and now the kids that are the diversity kids don't take boards, can't pass the academy in oklahoma city and the government wants to know what the problem is.....really??? the guys who want to retire can't.....there are not enough qualifed candidates out there. I know this because my son now mentors kids at a big city airport tower because these kids are NOT qualified for the jobs and the airports needed to hire kids to babysit these new atcs who are not qualified !!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
This problem extends to most of the economy. Industries requiring highly skilled workers are looking a building full of grey beards. I know of one company that has finally partnered with the local vocational school to develop an apprentice program to get people to replace their tool makers. You know the folks that make the patterns, fixtures, cutters and operate the machines to make the tools to make the tools to make the product.

I started my paid career 45 years ago a highly skilled machinist but soon realized that a college degree even in as poorly paid a job as environmental scientist paid a lot more than a tool maker and I would never have to put up with the condensation of some twerp that worked "on the carpet".

Now that I am retired I have an opportunity to rent a shop and do some metalwork again. Working sheet metal looks interesting. We shall see.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,260,247 times
I had wanted to be an Air Traffic Controller when I was young, but mom looked me straight in the eye and said "um, no. Just............no. No way". In retrospect she is right, however, I enjoy listening to YouTube videos and following along just to see if I have what it takes.
I have an acquaintance who is one and I recall him saying something about privitizing the industry here in Minnesota, and how he would be retiring and/or quitting soon. This was about 4 years ago when we chatted about it.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:11 PM

569 posts, read 552,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
And, another major problem is that the FAA changed the hiring rules mid-stream!! My son graduated with an airport management major with an air traffic control minor - took his boards (ATSATS) and did not pass the biographical exam that they decided they wanted to put on these tests....The reason being that Mr. Fox, transportation secretary under Obama decided to 'diversify' the ATC and allow kids from off the streets apply with zero background in aviation at all (son interned several years as an atc, took his boards and passed with a 97%......and now the kids that are the diversity kids don't take boards, can't pass the academy in oklahoma city and the government wants to know what the problem is.....really??? the guys who want to retire can't.....there are not enough qualifed candidates out there. I know this because my son now mentors kids at a big city airport tower because these kids are NOT qualified for the jobs and the airports needed to hire kids to babysit these new atcs who are not qualified !!
An air controller needs to speak the English; not the kings' English.

I hope the street kids won't cause the aircraft collisions.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I've 'failed' the BQ twice. There are many good, qualified people being left on the sidelines for the sake of diversity. There are many facilities where ~50% of qualified controllers are eligible to retire, and there is no one to replace them. The privatization issue going around congress doesn't help either.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Recently I was in SFO. It was late at night, and we were requesting push back clearance from ground control. This one controller was overwhelmed. He was working both ground and tower, and many aircraft were queuing up both on ground and tower. Lots of international heavies were arriving, and he gave priority to them for landing clearances, then departures, then aircraft who had landed and needed to taxi into gates, and lastly those of us at gates needing to taxi out. Anyway, we waited 25 minutes for permission to push.

I couldn't believe they'd put this one guy through this. I'd be shocked to find out he wasn't an alcoholic. You could hear the stress in his voice.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Recently I was in SFO. It was late at night, and we were requesting push back clearance from ground control. This one controller was overwhelmed. He was working both ground and tower, and many aircraft were queuing up both on ground and tower. Lots of international heavies were arriving, and he gave priority to them for landing clearances, then departures, then aircraft who had landed and needed to taxi into gates, and lastly those of us at gates needing to taxi out. Anyway, we waited 25 minutes for permission to push.

I couldn't believe they'd put this one guy through this. I'd be shocked to find out he wasn't an alcoholic. You could hear the stress in his voice.
I've been witness to delays at ATL, too, because the ground controller was overwhelmed. Not a good set of words heard over the radio describing why everything ground to a halt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation