Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times

Advertisements

If it ain't Boeing I ain't going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Then you aren't flying much anymore! All of the US3 ordered the A350, Delta ordered the A330 NEO, and I believe DL and AA ordered the A320 NEO series as well.

Stupid phrase from stupid people

Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"...it taxed, picked up speed — and then came to a startling and screeching halt."

I know I expect too much out of modern journalism, but do they even try anymore?

I assume they are saying the plane was taxiing and then picked up speed. Over-hyped issue nonetheless.
I was wondering how much it was taxed. Must have been steep for the plane to stop within a few hundred feet!

Old 12-14-2015, 05:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Then you aren't flying much anymore! All of the US3 ordered the A350, Delta ordered the A330 NEO, and I believe DL and AA ordered the A320 NEO series as well.

Not especially.

I travel in my PA-31T. Haven't stepped foot in an airliner in years. Getting molested by TSA, slave to airline schedule and hub and spoke system; crammed in like cattle and sharing my seat with some 300 lb behemoth and my luggage getting lost; you can have that experience.

So again, if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going. (If I had the misfortune to fly on the airlines).

Old 12-14-2015, 05:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
"...it taxed, picked up speed — and then came to a startling and screeching halt."

I know I expect too much out of modern journalism, but do they even try anymore?

I assume they are saying the plane was taxiing and then picked up speed. Over-hyped issue nonetheless.
Yahoo has never, EVER been anywhere near respectable journalism. If you were around for the Chris Chase era you'd know this.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Yahoo has never, EVER been anywhere near respectable journalism. If you were around for the Chris Chase era you'd know this.
Yahoo citing the Daily Mail citing a blogger, that's like multiplying zeroes. Sounds like Qatar Airlines - who own and operate the aircraft in question - had their head PR man say something that at least kept the airline from having to shoulder blame.

Runway overruns happen, and they're at best expensive, at worst dangerous.

Quote:
You may want to check the airline as well. Ironically, Qatar pilots - in a Boeing 777 with no sissy computerized systems - had a an actual runway overrun in september, leading to a damaged aircraft and runway equipment.

Qatar issues alarming report about QR flight | Plane Talking

Old 12-14-2015, 06:20 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
But aren't too many inelegant or flawed aircraft designs rendered 'airworthy', at enormous expense, by computer programming &c?
Nah. Modern airliners are very well engineered and extremely well-built. Look at the Hudson landing, or the Gimli Glider. If you want to look at risk factors, it's not the planes as the roll off the assembly line, it's how well they're maintained through years and decades.

Computerization helps with human errors - like the Airbus system that keeps tabs on runway length (in front of the plane - runway behind you is one the less useful assets in aviation), airspeed, wing configuration etc. etc. and warns pilots if they attend to land in a dangerous situation.

And computerization helps with efficiency. When cruising, the computers keep tabs on hundreds of data inputs and keeps the plane moving through the air as cleanly as possible, which may cut the last 0.5% of the fuel usage, and that matters.

Quote:
And isn't a solution to begin with one that requires no such-thing, unless, as a bonus?
Meh. Flying in a modern airliner means being dependent on dozens if not hundreds of systems working correctly - now some of these systems are software, not electrical or mechanical or hydraulic.

I'll be interested in learning what happened here.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post

Have you forgotten all of the Boeing jets they fly?

Old 12-15-2015, 05:48 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Have you forgotten all of the Boeing jets they fly?
Which can be subbed in at any point in time, especially domestically. My United A320 route recently was subbed for a 737-900. People's aversion to a brand of airplane is beyond stupid. With the millions of flight hours flown each year, no one brand has any more issues or crashes than the other

As for the guy above, would you fly the 787 a few years ago with the battery fire problems? That's a Boeing.... It's called teething issues. Every airliner has them. 777 engine icing issues. Etc etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 AM

786 posts, read 811,120 times
I prefer not to travel in an Airbus plane much as trying to avoid 'flying' in one with aft-mounted engines. And I think that aircraft-type ought to be one of the options at booking a flight. Furthermore, I'd like to see some choice offered to those that work in the armed services, for no one should be made to aviate in, say, a Chinook helicopter or Eurofighter Typhoon

Gulf Air flight to London plunged into a terrifying 32,000ft dive after pressure loss | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by OldChina; 12-15-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation