Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,463 times

Advertisements

My husband is a pilot, and I've accompanied him on a few trips. I do admit that drinking beer seems to be an important pastime for many of them.

Danger in the cockpit: FAA records show pilots fly drunk, engage in criminal activity | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
I've spent many an evening around a campfire with pro pilots in the backcountry who relate similar episodes of heavy drinking by passenger airline pilots.

Some of them admitted to having shown up for their trips still under the influence, or mentioning situations where their Captain essentially was unfit for flight duties and turned the trip flying over to them as a FO. So all went well, the trip was completed on schedule without incident, and the fellow who was impaired got his trip hours logged.

What was troubling to me hearing these stories is that nobody as a pro pilot turned anybody in or made any attempt to suggest to the impaired pilot that they should "call in sick" or decline to make the scheduled flight. Some of them mentioned a couple of well-known pilots to their group of pilots who consistently had such problems.

I assume that such talk was noteworthy because it was the exception to the rule for the pro pilot community. But it does give one cause for pause about who's flying today ...

as can be the situation with other industry professionals, such behavior can give all a "black eye". Newsworthy when and if it causes a loss that could have been prevented by following the rules and common sense.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-28-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,463 times
You're right, that is troubling!

I'd be all for them giving a mandatory breathalyzer before each flight in the interest of safety. That way, all of the unprofessional "professional" pilots could be weeded out.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM

786 posts, read 811,785 times
In my (in?)experience, there's a confidence in pilots that renders some arrogant. And if it matures into the conceit of British physicians or surgeons, Heaven help us! What it boils-down to is that those that are certificated to fly airplanes, especially if they've been in 'the military' or are college graduates &c will assume, without always knowing it, an air of infallibility. But outsiders in my shoes may see more flaws in things

Though maintenance crews and pilots must be dissuaded and prohibited from consuming hallucinogens, inebriants or sedatives, there may be a case for training the latter to carry on flying, so to speak, while under the influence; but, not for working under it. In other words, it wouldn't be unreasonable to get such professionals to learn how to cope with such effects, tiredness or sleepiness. After all, an emergency that requires them to that might obtain

Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,662,507 times
My Brother is a pilot. It has ruined his life. He tells tales of all the crazy behavior, i.e. insane drunkenness, no sleep, crews giving a new meaning to "lay over". etc . . . It affects a lot of other pilots but not him. Right. It has changed him as a person to an angry alcoholic who hates humanity. Every time I get on a plane this is a constant worry. How deep into the lifestyle is my pilot?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
I used to read all the final accident reports from the NTSB. An amazing number of the reports showed that the pilot toxicology showed illegal drugs, or alcohol, or prescribed medications that were prohibited by the FAA. Not all of these same accidents were attributed to pilot error but a majority was. A pilot that has an in-flight emergency doesn't need to have drugs affect their judgement when they may only have seconds to make the decision.

So the question is, how many pilots are using these substances that never have accidents.

Now, for a little reality, I know that the majority of professional pilots would never use this stuff, but there is a minority that does and even if it is only 5% that way to many.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
2004-2008 (5 years) of accidents only two 121 (airline) pilots were found to have taken drugs in post accident toxicology. One had Tylenol one had Benadryl in his system. No narcotics or alcohol. This is a non-story. The % is so beyond small that you have a greater chance of getting hit by lightening.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
the general public might find reason to believe that there's a "real story" here ...

in view of the ongoing press reports of airline pilots either:

1) being observed to appear under the influence by TSA or other airport personnel and subsequently being confirmed by Law Enforcement to be well over the limits for alcohol. Such stories accompany reports of cancelled or delayed flights by the passengers

2) pilots being found to have been under the influence after the completion of a flight. Some have faced up to 15 years in prison for the violation, so it's a bit newsworthy.

It's reasonable for the general flying public to have a concern that this problem may be more widespread than the numbers of reported incidents of a pilot being caught reporting for duty or having flown under the influence.

Just because each flight with an impaired pilot didn't end in an "accident" doesn't mean that the pro pilot community doesn't have a problem with drugs/alcohol. Most folk don't want to be on flights where the pilot(s) are impaired. Would you want to be a passenger on such a flight?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
In my (in?)experience, there's a confidence in pilots that renders some arrogant. And if it matures into the conceit of British physicians or surgeons, Heaven help us! What it boils-down to is that those that are certificated to fly airplanes, especially if they've been in 'the military' or are college graduates &c will assume, without always knowing it, an air of infallibility. But outsiders in my shoes may see more flaws in things

Two of my primary flight instructors while working towards my Private were both ex-USAF and both furloughed Eastern Airlines pilots. I have to credit them both with not hesitating to say they were still learning new things everyday, I guess you should never underestimate the (in)abilities of student pilots.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Pilots are a special breed. Coming from aviation maintenance I've seen the good and the bad. Most of them are serious about what they do - heck, they don't want to die either. My favorites are the former Navy and Marine pilots who've landed on a pitching carrier deck in the middle of the ocean! That's awesome! But generally they work hard and play hard. I'm just glad there are two of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation