Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times

Advertisements

In the 1930s-1970s air travel was a glamorous experience. You had plenty of leg room, free alcoholic drinks, attractive stewardesses in pleasing uniforms, hassle free boarding experiences, deluxe luxurious accommodations, steak and lobster meals, and comfortable seating.
Since the 80s the industry has consisted of sardine can-like seating, hellish boarding procedures with cavity searches, free peanuts if you're lucky, and frumpy airline staff who look and act like they escaped from a prison chain gang.
It makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
"hellish"?

When did our standards for what is merely a boring, moderately unpleasant experience at times being "hellish"?

I've had good flights and I've had bad flights. Absent one of those rare (and they are rare) stuck-on-the-tarmac-for-eight-hours experiences, nothing is "hellish"?

I was going to say that people have become to whiny about air travel, but I don't think that's it - we just hear their bleating more because of the internet and social media. People have always been whiny.

PS - One thing I would call "hellish" is when an airliners cartwheels across a cornfield or nose-darts onto a freeway or crashes into a river. You know, things that used to happen several times a year but now happen only once or twice a decade in the U.S.?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Research the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Fares used to be set by the feds. After the Act, it's been a race to the bottom.

Recreational flyers complain about airlines not providing services, but they will switch carriers for a $5 fare difference in a heartbeat. That means ticket price is everything for those types of travelers, and service doesn't matter. Carriers like WN (Southwest) and others wouldn't have existed pre-deregulation in their current form.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,118 times
It may be true that service standards went down, but its all about mass transport and price pressure. There is an interesting article giving some answers: How Airline Ticket Prices Fell 50% in 30 Years (and Why Nobody Noticed) - The Atlantic

- In 1965, no more than 20 percent of Americans had ever flown in an airplane. By 2000, 50 percent of the country took at least one round-trip flight a year. The average was two round-trip tickets.

-- The number of air passengers tripled between the 1970s and 2011.

-- In 1974, it was illegal for an airline to charge less than $1,442 in inflation-adjusted dollars for a flight between New York City and Los Angeles. On Kayak, just now, I found one for $278.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Corporations are solely interested in making money. They disregard negatives until they fail, then the guys who got the money just walk away to do it again someplace else. We're just cattle to them.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
It may be true that service standards went down, but its all about mass transport and price pressure. There is an interesting article giving some answers: How Airline Ticket Prices Fell 50% in 30 Years (and Why Nobody Noticed) - The Atlantic

- In 1965, no more than 20 percent of Americans had ever flown in an airplane. By 2000, 50 percent of the country took at least one round-trip flight a year. The average was two round-trip tickets.

-- The number of air passengers tripled between the 1970s and 2011.

-- In 1974, it was illegal for an airline to charge less than $1,442 in inflation-adjusted dollars for a flight between New York City and Los Angeles. On Kayak, just now, I found one for $278.

This is the answer and people simply overlook it. The cost for the consumer have fallen dramatically

Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Corporations are solely interested in making money. They disregard negatives until they fail, then the guys who got the money just walk away to do it again someplace else. We're just cattle to them.

Is there anything in this post that somehow connects to the topi of the thread?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"hellish"?

When did our standards for what is merely a boring, moderately unpleasant experience at times being "hellish"?

I've had good flights and I've had bad flights. Absent one of those rare (and they are rare) stuck-on-the-tarmac-for-eight-hours experiences, nothing is "hellish"?

I was going to say that people have become to whiny about air travel, but I don't think that's it - we just hear their bleating more because of the internet and social media. People have always been whiny.

PS - One thing I would call "hellish" is when an airliners cartwheels across a cornfield or nose-darts onto a freeway or crashes into a river. You know, things that used to happen several times a year but now happen only once or twice a decade in the U.S.?
The Airline Industry is extremely competitive and must cut costs at every opportunity. That obsession (especially in the US) has resulted in increasingly poor customer service. That is why the subsidized Middle East or Asian carriers seem much nicer.

Hellish might be strong but it is not too uncommon to wait 2-3 hours to board a 2 hour flight then take another hour to get your luggage and get through your destination airport to ride the train 1 hour (Atlanta) so you have $300 and 6 hours to go to a place that might be a 9 hour drive. Of course that 9 hour drive would be much worse than the 6 hours of airport time so it is all relative.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,118 times
If people were willing to pay as much money for a flight as back in 1965 (after inflation), they would have quite acceptable service (First class with priority check-in, lounges, priority-boarding, luggage allowance, onboard meals and drinks, comfortable seats (even lie flat suites on AA transcon flagship routes etc.). But most people are not willing to spend $1000 on a transcon flight, so airlines are offering lower services classes.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Here are some links related to the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978:

AviationWeek - A Law That Changed The Airline Industry Beyond Recognition (1978) | From The Archives
Airline Deregulation: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty
AIRANDSPACE.SI.EDU - Deregulation: A Watershed Event
AVJOBS.COM - Airline Deregulation
AVSTOP.COM - Airline Deregulation Legislation Act 1978
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_Deregulation_Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation