Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Advertisements

Dallas Fort-Worth Airport is my favorite. I like the Sky-link train which connects the Terminals quickly. I am able to reach from one Gate to other Gate in 10-15 minutes at the max.

Worst Airports I have seen are in Europe. Manchester in UK tops the list. Paris, Munich, Frankfurt are also there as one of the worst travelling experience for passengers.

Abu Dhabi in Asia is also ridiculous.

So far, Barcelona Airport in Spain has been a refreshing experience. It is similar to American Airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Never happen. THey'd have to buy out the airlines, including a couple of international consortiums, in order to do it. It's essentially 5 airports that share a tower and runway now, but the thing is, we pretty much need that much capacity.

The only thing that might realistically work is if they eliminate the short term parking lots, and put a security check point and dropoff point at Federal Circle. Then run a seperate AirTrain between Federal Circle and the terminals, essentially putting them all behind security. But then you have a problem with drop-offs and pick-ups, which all have to happen at or near Federal Circle (which can't handle it) plus the unused space of all those parking lots.

There's no way to improve it unless they're willing to bulldoze it. Which won't happen. But if you treat each terminal as an individual airport and not try to change planes between terminals (this is really how the place is meant to be used) then it's not that bad of an airport. It's at least tolerable.
LOL, well, they are certainly spending a lot of money to make it happen. Not to bulldoze it, but to make it more connected. No one is suggesting they buy out the airlines, but the airlines will have to work with the PA when renovating their terminals. How that will actually play out remains to be seen. The PA solicited and awarded a Project Management agreement last year to oversee it, but not much is happening so far. Of course, that's a common political "See, we are doing something!" ploy when they aren't quite sure what they are doing.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:55 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, well, they are certainly spending a lot of money to make it happen. Not to bulldoze it, but to make it more connected. No one is suggesting they buy out the airlines, but the airlines will have to work with the PA when renovating their terminals. How that will actually play out remains to be seen. The PA solicited and awarded a Project Management agreement last year to oversee it, but not much is happening so far. Of course, that's a common political "See, we are doing something!" ploy when they aren't quite sure what they are doing.
And to them, I would just like to say "I, too, can be bought."

Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Portland (PDX) is a good medium-sized airport... conveniently arranged, everything works, light rail comes right into the airport.
Some of the eateries close too early, though... it can be difficult (though not impossible) to find a veggie meal.

Long Beach (LGB) is a pleasant small airport. I've never seen it crowded (what a great contrast to LAX!). The terminal is bright and airy,
and if you're an airline geek you'll enjoy being able to watch the ground crews servicing the aircraft. Transit service is somewhat limited.
Given its size, there aren't a lot of food options. Jet Blue is the primary carrier, although Southwest is now flying there too.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
No particular order,
MDW
TPA
PVD
SYD
BNA
DUB
LHR ( strange maybe, but I like it)
HNL

Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 AM

5,590 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Tampa is now my home airport and it was definitely my favorite -- always clean, including bathrooms, baggage makes it onto the belt usually by the time you arrive at Baggage Claim, not too much walking involved -- UNTIL this year when they changed the parking and rental car logistics. I used to be able to park in the Economy garage, go down an elevator and get a shuttle to the terminal door. Or if I was coming here from out-of-town, the rental cars were right across the street from Baggage Claim. Now they've gotten rid of the shuttles, and moved the rental cars off-site. So you have to drag your luggage on a huge-a** escalator or elevator, take a very bumpy monorail and then drag your luggage another mile. Very inconvenient for this old gal.

PHL is my hometown and that airport's bathrooms have always been and continue to be the worst. I don't know what it would take to have them cleaned regularly, have the hooks for purses securely anchored, have the toilets flushable, etc., but it's an embarrassment in such a big-city airport.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Singapore, lovely airport.

I am sorry, but American domestic airports are very stressful with the security varying so much. I had forgotten how much easier it is here in Australia until I took a domestic flight last week.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:17 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Surprised that no one has mentioned Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta. Each concourse offers a different experience with food options with about 150 options in the entire airport from which to choose. The concourses are connected by a train service. The Metro comes right into the airport, and rental cars and some hotels are easily reached by a Monorail. I love flying in and out of it. Small airports do have their strong points but for a large airport, I do like HJ.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 AM

6,809 posts, read 4,246,943 times
O&D - TXL , for connections - Schiphol

Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
It's easy for people to claim to hate Atlanta because it's too big and is prone to summer weather delays. But if you have to go through a mega-hub, it really does have a nice logical terminal layout that has been planned well for expansion over the years, a decent selection of food at different price levels, and plenty of quiet corners if you have time to kill. (During normal business hours before the red eye flight bank goes out, the E Concourse is often nearly empty) The common airside area helps- I like to roam in between flights and dislike airports where different concourse areas are behind different security checkpoints so you can't cover the whole place, different shops and restaurants, etc, while stretching your legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation