Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 AM

902 posts, read 864,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The "handicapped " do get involuntarily bumped. American Airlines did it to a well known advocate for those with disabilities a couple of weeks ago. We, who have disabilities are eagerly waiting to hear what AA is going to do about it.

Oh, so you're only handi-capable when it suits you. In all other instances, you feel entitled to better treatment than non-handicapped people. Got it, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 AM

7,892 posts, read 11,422,651 times
This is easy to fix. Make the airlines pay a sizeable cash fee to paid ticket passengers bumped due to over booking. Make the fee equal to $5 per seat on the plane they were on, this wont raise cost too much for passengers and will provide an incentive to not over book by much. Also give on time passengers holding paid tickets who are bumped a bonus of 25k miles on the carrier who bumped them.

Publish this rule in large print not legalese fine print so all know the deal. select those bump by volunteers first then by last one boarding flight not cheapest ticket.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Computer algorithm

How much will it COST the airline if the passenger does not fly.
Seat price, flight miles, groups, charters, crew status, medical, routing, connections are all considered.

That said it Almost always seems to start with economy class and Those with unassigned seating.
Also those who have disqualified themselves being obviously intoxicated or high.

They will offer
Next Flight (big deal)
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance big deal and there may not be a hotel available or one that you would want to stay at.
Next Flight & Free Flight Voucher and or cash
Next Flight & Lodging Food Allowance, plus Free Flight Voucher and or cash

Never ever argue on the plane. Never argue with a crew member.
Never argue at the gate. It's not a debate. They have the right to void your passage.

Ask for their help in reaching your destination without drama.
I have had major carrier bump me then put me back on the same flight in a first class seat because an entitled elite showed up late after last boarding call.
This is a pretty all over the place post talking about the computer algorithm so let me clarify this post. I'll start with the offers first because timeline wise, that will happen first. Then I will talk about the (involuntary) bump algorithm since that comes next. Then finally reactions.

The offers (the embolden magenta text) are usually done at the gate. I've flown oh 26 individual flights, on average one a year since my first at the age of 8 despite some years (2001-2005, 2009-2012, 2014-now) with no flights and these voluntary bumps are announced at the gate some hour, hour and a half before hand since most people are typically at the airport by then. Often there are enough for this to be handled by itself. Often times carriers will only sweeten the pot as it gets closer to boarding but due the flight being oversold or having a deadhead (having to take a crew to a location) early enough and small enough (say 3 passengers or less), I've never been asked to wait other than weather issues (two different flights)

As for what you said about the algorithm, that is pretty on point, despite age (rarely are kids or parents with kids bumped) being another factor. Maybe this was covered in "groups". Though I would say if a passenger is overly inebriated that would be a quick involuntary bump that reduces the need for a bump as would overly late passengers.

We all know why this topic reared its ugly head again, United (Express)'s Louisville flight from Chicago in which the bumps happened during BOARDING. This makes the embolden red relevant when a flight isn't having bumps at the gate, but more so while BOARDING. This case is one that, I think even if you don't have a shouting match with the flight crew, you will mumble about it and rant about it to your friends and maybe on social media.

One thing I do have to disagree with is that often reasoning don't work with crew. They don't want to hear the sob story of you having work, a sick relative, etc. They look at it as the algorithm has spoken, it is final. Maybe, you can get back on but that is in the case of maybe it gets you on the top of the list to be brought back on if you voluntarily involuntary bump yourself (late or inebriation.)

Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
This is easy to fix. Make the airlines pay a sizeable cash fee to paid ticket passengers bumped due to over booking. Make the fee equal to $5 per seat on the plane they were on, this wont raise cost too much for passengers and will provide an incentive to not over book by much. Also give on time passengers holding paid tickets who are bumped a bonus of 25k miles on the carrier who bumped them.

Publish this rule in large print not legalese fine print so all know the deal. select those bump by volunteers first then by last one boarding flight not cheapest ticket.
This actually sounds like a good proposal. I wish the contracts of carriage would be in lehman's terms and not legalese that only lawyers can understand. I mean I thought that a United flight that my family (parents and brother) was an involuntary bump because we got moved from one flight to another (then another once United realized that we would only have under 40 minutes to make a connection.) We only got vouchers (that we never used) for our troubles (which included only one snack service for a two and a half, three hour flight from Houston to Orlando.)

Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj

Never ever argue on the plane. Never argue with a crew member.
Never argue at the gate. It's not a debate. They have the right to void your passage.

Ask for their help in reaching your destination without drama.
I have had major carrier bump me then put me back on the same flight in a first class seat because an entitled elite showed up late after last boarding call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
One thing I do have to disagree with is that often reasoning don't work with crew. They don't want to hear the sob story of you having work, a sick relative, etc. They look at it as the algorithm has spoken, it is final. Maybe, you can get back on but that is in the case of maybe it gets you on the top of the list to be brought back on if you voluntarily involuntary bump yourself (late or inebriation.)

Aren't you saying the same thing? Don't argue, remain neutral and ask for help in getting to your destination without drama doesn't mean the poster is trying to reason with them as a way not to be bumped. He/she is saying don't argue and you're saying they don't want to hear your sob story.
Same thing.

As for why they're unlikely to bend, it's probably because once they ask for volunteers and don't get any, if those chosen by computer are going to put up a stink, and they cave, they're setting a precedent they don't want to set. If the computer chooses someone who balks and then someone volunteers, fine. But beyond that, they're not going to say, "Oh, you're pushing back so we'll move on and pick someone else." Can you imagine how mad that person would be?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Aren't you saying the same thing? Don't argue, remain neutral and ask for help in getting to your destination without drama doesn't mean the poster is trying to reason with them as a way not to be bumped. He/she is saying don't argue and you're saying they don't want to hear your sob story.
Same thing.

As for why they're unlikely to bend, it's probably because once they ask for volunteers and don't get any, if those chosen by computer are going to put up a stink, and they cave, they're setting a precedent they don't want to set. If the computer chooses someone who balks and then someone volunteers, fine. But beyond that, they're not going to say, "Oh, you're pushing back so we'll move on and pick someone else." Can you imagine how mad that person would be?
Not really reasoning is different than arguing. Reasoning is saying "I have to be in Orlando at 8pm for a rehearsal dinner for my son, can we get me there by then?" Arguing can be saying just that (even in the same tone depending on the flight crew member you talk to or a stronger tone) though normally it would be instead of "Can we get me there by then," it becomes "You MUST get me there by then." A thin line but a line that exists none the less.

The main issue is many of us CAN'T be pushed back without losing a work day, ruining the start of a vacation or missing a part of a family get together (birth, wedding, funeral, etc.) Not all of us CAN be flexible when flying or if we can, we can only be for a short window of time. The recent example of the bump due to algorithm was being the last flight for 22 hours. MOST people cannot wait that long without being given more than $800 for a voluntary bump or even $1350 for an involuntary bump (as per law.)

Now my question is, if an airline bumps you are the liable for the loss of reservation at the hotel (say you are late due to the airline bumping you) and you cannot get a room at your destination?

Last edited by mkpunk; 04-25-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Oh, so you're only handi-capable when it suits you. In all other instances, you feel entitled to better treatment than non-handicapped people. Got it, thanks.
What are you talking about? Someone said they don't bump those with disabilities and I mentioned a case where they did. How did you get the idea that I think we are entitled to better treatment from that?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What are you talking about? Someone said they don't bump those with disabilities and I mentioned a case where they did. How did you get the idea that I think we are entitled to better treatment from that?
Which seemed like it was a weird case where the airline said a chair that should have fit inn the cargo hold couldn't. The airline (American) said the passenger chose to take a later flight rather than go without the chair. That isn't really a choice, nor was it a bump in the normal sense of overbooked flights whether paying passengers or deadheading crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation