Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:57 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Actually premium is getting better and better, even domestically. Check out American’s 321T service in first and business.

Ticket prices relative to inflation are WAY down, so while they are removing perks the price is dropping along with it. The vast majority of folks want cheap cheap cheap at all costs so that’s what the airlines are offering.

I guess, but soon seating will be closer to levels of intimacy once reserved for one’s significant other. If I’m going to be that close to someone, I want to be on a first-name basis at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
United seems to do all the things that make people hate that airline. They really seem to be a cut below the other legacy carriers (American, Delta).

More and more, I am just avoiding air travel altogether.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Collectively, we are fatter and wider than ever before. I'd like to see the Federal Government set minimum passenger space requirements
Nah let's go the other way and set Federal Government standards and maximum passenger width. That way it wouldn't feel as crowded and prices could stay down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'd also like to see a minimum price-per-seat administered at the federal level, which would have the effect of reducing the number of people on planes. Airlines would need to compete for fewer passengers -- who could afford it -- and they would compete via improved quality of travel & amenities rather than the current compete-by-lowest price model.
I advocate a minimum price for restaurants as well, let's keep the riff-raff out! That way reservations wouldn't be required as since it would reduce the numbers of people at restaurants. Let's keep the restaurants for the people who can afford it and enjoy the quality of food and service that would bring.

I'm still working out the details of my "Federal minimum IQ to use the carpool lane" plan.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
I mean.... Some of us haven't flown United in years. Ahhh thanks Southwest! and when necessary Delta and American Airlines. United can keep on being "great" if they want to all by there lonesome.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yet another reason to take the all American road trip. I know it's not always feasible, but when we're going overseas, we can use foreign airlines, and the rest of the time, we can drive, and maybe take Amtrak. Economy or not, we are customers spending money keeping the airlines in business. United and the airlines don't own us, and we will spend our dollars elsewhere.
I agree with you. That's what we do also. Of course it's easier when you're retired. But road travel is cheaper especially with the grands in toe, and more interesting to me anyway if you don't have to be there right away.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I agree with you. That's what we do also. Of course it's easier when you're retired. But road travel is cheaper especially with the grands in toe, and more interesting to me anyway if you don't have to be there right away.
Don't have to deal with lack of blinker usage, idiots cutting into your lane, sitting on your front bumper playing leap frog every time you pass them, and other shenanigans at altitude.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I mean.... Some of us haven't flown United in years. Ahhh thanks Southwest! and when necessary Delta and American Airlines. United can keep on being "great" if they want to all by there lonesome.
I used to be a United Premier Exec back in the day. Southwest entered the markets where I used to use them and I pretty much never fly United. It's pretty awful when Southwest is the "deluxe" carrier on my city pairs. I use all my United FT miles on other Star Alliance carriers.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Just beware: They're trying to make American Great Again also!

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.g...%3fid=50720501

Old 10-26-2017, 10:45 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Booking a flight is like booking a room. If you spend a night in a Motel6, don't complain that the accommodations aren't as nice as down the road at the Hyatt. If you want the Hyatt's amenities, stay there. If you don't want to pay more than the $50/night that Motel6 charges, then stay there. Ditto for flying. There are other options than economy. Are they more expensive? Sure are. That ribeye cooked to order is spendier than a Big Mac, too. Welcome to the world.
The proposed & ever-continuous reducing of seat size & accommodations in general can’t be compared to a “Motel 6 experience “ .... More like a hard bunk in a cold county jail with a bunch of belligerent drunks.

And at least there you could post bond & get out! ( vs paying to come in) It’s going to get to the point where people who could afford to “fly Hyatt”? Would rather book a sleeper car on Amtrak, do a road trip, etc ... Than to pay 5 star rates for a 3+ to 4 star experience.

Heck, I met a guy who drove for Yellow Cab who had customers pay him for out of state, cross- country rides because they were sick of the airlines.

If that’s what they want their customers to do, they are headed in the right direction.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Per Seat Guru, United is already flying 777s with 10-across seating. And they're also still using them with 9-across. The seats with 9 across are 18.3 inches wide; the ones with 10 across are 17.1 inches wide. (Both types feature the miserly 31-inch pitch.) Sure, 1.2 inches doesn't sound like a lot. But when you're on a 10-plus hour flight across the ocean, it makes a difference.

I'm glad that at least some airlines are still willing to treat their customers like human beings. Last summer I flew IAD-ICN, a 14-hour flight, on Korean Air. Their 777 had 9 across (18 inches wide) and a reasonably generous 34-inch pitch.

If United wants to pack 'em in like sardines, that's their right as a competitor in a free marketplace. But they can do it without me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation