Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times

Advertisements

Interested in hearing from pilots of any size plane.

How did you become interested in flying?

What type of plane do you fly (be specific) and is it business or pleasure??

Explain the plane dashboard (I know that's the wrong term ) and functions...in simple terms. There are so many...are some rarely used or are all of them used often?

How was your first solo? Have you had scary moments??

And...how do you feel when flying...is it routine or do you remember each time what a thrill it is to fly...?

Add any info you'd like passengers on YOUR plane to know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 10:45 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,089 times
We would need to write a boo to answer all questions. Some bullet points......

1. scary moments are all specific to individuals (cross winds-stalls-severe turbulence-window blowing open just a sample)

2. The day you get your ticket will be the proudest moment of your life

3. First flight you will suddenly realize only YOU are responsible now for making it in one piece...as a PIC

4. You will see sights only pilots know (peak of Mt. Shasta- Lassen peak at 10,500ft then sweeping out over Lake Shasta etc etc -approach to Avalon-Approach over water to Santa Barbara)

5. night flight is 10X more critical than day vfr.....but can be spectacular

6. set your own personal standards on the conservative side

7. Unfortunately it's now a rich mans game (got my ticket in 95-everything has doubled since then)

Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
[quote=greatblueheron;50419705]

Quote:
At a very early age from watching movies, and TV shows like "Twelve O'clock High", but I also had an uncle who was a pilot and took me up in a Cherokee 140B when I was nine years old. I LOVED it, and was hooked.

Quote:
I learned to fly in 1994 in a Cessna 152, then rented Cessnas, and Pipers for a few years until buying a 1968 Cherokee 140B just like the one my uncle took me up in. Had that for a few years, then "needed" a little more performance, and useful load so bought a Grumman AA5B "Tiger" which I still have. I mostly fly for pleasure, and have had the plane over most of the U.S. due mostly to corporate moves. I sometimes use it to get to client meetings where driving would SUCK due to location, and/or distance.

Quote:
Explain the plane dashboard (I know that's the wrong term ) and functions...in simple terms. There are so many...are some rarely used or are all of them used often?

The "Panel" is where your instruments, radios, navigation radios, GPS, engine instruments, etc are located. Many are going "glass" today, but I still have the "steam gauges". Artificial Horizon, VSI, Airspeed indicator, Turn Coordinator, etc. Some are used more than others, but most of them are used on every flight, especially IFR, when in IMC, Instrument Meteorological conditions, (bad weather and/or visibility). This may help.

Aircraft Cockpit Instruments Explained - Flying Technique

Quote:
Solo went great. During my checkride the DE dropped his pen, asked me to reach under the seat to get it, and when I came up I was in a 45 degree nose up, and 30 degree bank, and in a stall. It wasn't scary as I knew what to do to correct it immediately. No real scary moments, but I did stall/spin a plane as a solo student practicing slow flight in the practice area. The plane was out of rig, so needed more left rudder, but I quickly recovered. Got my heart rate up a little.

Quote:
And...how do you feel when flying...is it routine or do you remember each time what a thrill it is to fly...?
It has become somewhat routine, but still has its moments, but I've been flying over 23 years. I still get a great feeling from it, but as others have said the expense is getting ridiculous, the fleet is aging, and newer planes are outrageously expensive.

Quote:
No, they don't need to know that I am probably not as good a pilot as I think I am.

Last edited by Pilot1; 12-17-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-17-2017, 11:31 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
My answers in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

After learning that one of our fellow divers was a private pilot while we were flying from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac over gorgeous ocean views. I figured that if he could be a pilot, I could too. My husband and I signed up for flight lessons right after the dive trip.

We have flown only small single-engine planes. We owned a Cessna Cardinal for 7 years and have flown our 'home-built' Glasair Sportsman for the last 7 years. We have obtained commercial pilot ratings but only to improve our flying skills. We fly for pleasure only.

The common term for the plane dashboard is the cockpit panel. The traditional instruments are called the six pack steam gauges. You can read more about them here

https://learntofly.ca/six-pack-prima...t-instruments/

We had the six pack in our old Cardinal. When we built our plane, we decided to go with a glass cockpit (all electronics, no steam gauges).

This site showed the differences between the six-pack and glass panel cockpits

https://www.pea.com/blog/posts/whats-a-glass-cockpit/

Exhilirating! Yes, we have a one or two scary moments in the last 16 years of flying mainly while landings in challenging conditions early on. As we become more experienced, we have learned to be a lot more cautious in checking the weather, diverting to a better airport etc. There is a favorite saying in the aviation world: "There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots."

I have made thousand of flights but it is always a thrill to fly and there are many incredible flying memories from several 'adventures': bush pilot training and self-flying safari in South Africa, self-flying trip in New Zealand South Island, the long cross-country trip from NY to Colorado after obtaining our instrument ratings then flew our daughter and her friends over part of the Rockies, the 5,500nm miles round trip from NY to Florida, Puerto Rico and several Caribbean islands over incredibly beautiful islands and water. We also have great visual memories from our many local flights over the Hudson river (check online for youtube videos of the Hudson River Corridor flights along Manhattan skyscrapers to the Status of Liberty) , reservoirs, lakes, Catskill mountains etc.

We were trained to give a passenger briefing before each flight. Standard stuffs like how to get on/off the plane, open and close the door, fasten/unfasten seatbelts etc. We also suggest them not to look outside until the plane has reached altitude and not to look outside if one feels queasy. Don't touch any instruments or flight controls unless you are allowed to do so by the pilot. Keep quiet during takeoff/landing and when the pilot is talking to ATC. First time passengers should be prepared by not boarding with a full stomach and to keep the barf bag (we stock up gallon-size ziplock bags in the plane and only had a young passenger used it one time). We have given many flights to kids (and sometimes with their parents) in Young Eagle flights. I'd suggest parents with young kids to check out this EAA's program in their area and give their kids' a memorable or career inspired experience.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-ex...row-your-wings

For people who are curious about flying or thinking of becoming a pilot, you can take an introductory flight from many FBOs for a very reasonable price. Our intro flights 16 years ago were something like $49. I think it is around $100 now. Smaller airports tend to offer much cheaper flights than big ones.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-17-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 11:41 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:

My wife bought me a "demo flight" for my 29th birthday. I went up for an hour with an instructor and got to control the plane for a little over half of the flight. I was hooked.

Quote:
I used to own a Mooney 201: single engine prop, nonpressurized, seats 4. Strictly pleasure, except for the year I used it to fly to other cities and teach week-long Cisco classes.

Quote:
It's called a "panel". And it isn't as daunting as it first appears. It shows you speed (both horizontal and vertical), attitude (roll, pitch, and yaw), navigation (location and direction), and engine performance. It also has radios for talking and for navigation.

Quote:
My first solo was a scary experience. Looking back I'd say that I was not ready for that day's conditions and my instructor should not have signed me off. But I managed to get my three landings in (with one go-around), and moved on with my education.

Yes I've had a few scary moments (in addition to the solo). Not many, but a few.

Quote:
Yes to both. It's a thrill to take off each and every time, and the good landings are moments of pride.

Aviation is hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. It's all routine, except when it isn't. All the flight planning is intended to ensure that the flight is routine and boring. But sometimes things don't go according to plan, and that's when it gets interesting.

Quote:
Yes the beeping sound and flashing light is normal. Don't panic until the pilot panics. You can touch this, but don't touch that! And please keep your feet off the rudder.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:09 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
^^^^^^A Mooney M20J/201 is a very nice airplane.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:

starting as an early teenager, I crewed on sailboats for folks that had their ticket and plane. We used to commute to sailboat racing venues via their airplane (Cessna 170B, Cessna 180, 1962 Beech Bonanza). Sailing and flying are two very comparable skillsets ... I was hooked at an early age on both.

C-182, owned for 30+ years now. Mostly pleasure flying, but have used it to reach clients when travel by the airplane was more time/cost effective due to road conditions/distances back in the days when I was a manufacturer's rep.

the "instrument panel" on most GA aircraft comprises three basic major areas: aviation, navigation, and communication functions.

The aviation portion is the engine monitoring with oil temp/pressure, cylinder head temp, engine RPM, manifold pressure (if a constant speed prop), fuel gauges, battery system voltage, and so forth. Turn coordinator, altimeter, vertical speed indicator (instant change in altitude rate reporting). "Wet" Compass. There may be other gauges which report conditions, such as a flap angle indicator, or engine monitoring system, but the basics are common to every aircraft. Essentially, the basic panel provides information as to the operation of the aircraft. Many options present for more information than minimal requirements, it's all a matter of what you want in your aircraft and how much you want to spend to achieve that information stream.

The navigation system comprises radio receivers which can indicate your location compared to a known transmitter point on the ground (NDB's, VOR's) or use satellite technology to indicate the aircraft position. There can be dedicated radios/receivers for stuff like a precision approach, HSI, Marker Beacon receivers, an accident reporting transmitter, specialty radios for in-flight entertainment, position reporting ADS radios.
Again, what is minimally required ... such as in my old "steam gauge" aircraft and the latest electronic panels is all a matter of what a pilot desires and the thickness of their wallet. My old aircraft has a basic IFR panel ... VOR, DME, Glideslope, Marker Beacon receiver. I supplement the panel with an iPad 2 and aviation software for my charts (maps of the ground and the airways in the skies), instrument approach plates, airport and weather information, etc.

The communication system are the radios that can receive and send voice communications. I've got two older NARCO nav/com units that combine navigation radio and communication radio functions in each box, with remote navigation indicators on the panel. Modern radios combine many more functions ... again, all at a cost. It would be very easy to spend much more on my aircraft for such radios than the plane is worth. If I flew frequently into more congested airspace, I would probably need to upgrade somewhat ... but for my regional flying, my old panel is sufficient for my purposes.

How was your first solo?

One of the big moments of my life. You realize that "it's for real ... you're on your own". I made 3 excellent landings on a perfect flying day in a C152 that made it easy. But I had a couple hundred hours of being in the right front seat of other GA aircraft and had a good idea as to what a good landing looked like. Flying "by the numbers" and pointing the plane in coordinated flight to the runway was anti-climatic. At a normal rate of descent, proper airspeed on final, and a modest flare the 152 kinda' glided it's way onto the runway. I was fixated on the end of the runway and my landings were pretty close to the numbers so I had to power up to taxi to get to the exit point to the taxiway. My instructor, watching from the threshold area, was concerned that I might not clear the perimeter fence because I was so low on short final ... but there was no problem, I made three very short landings just like I'd watched my sailing friends do for years.

Have you had scary moments??

Yes. Rime ice in 30 seconds in a cloud over Boise at 17,000' is a cause for concern in a non-ice equipped aircraft on an IFR flight plan Troutdale OR to Denver CO. The icing conditions had been unreported that day or I would have requested lower altitude ... taking advantage of 80 mph tailwinds, the higher I flew the stronger the tailwinds that day. Fortunately, at 14,000' and a couple miles further East, it was bright sunshine peeking through a much thinner layer above and the ice sublimated off the wings/struts/prop spinner in a matter of minutes.

My first flights into short/soft/high elevation blind approach back country airstrips were very intimidating. It's somewhat demanding flying ... you are committed to land once on the short final into a lot of places so you will land for sure. The key is to land in such a manner that you have an aircraft to depart with when you choose to do so.

Even if it was "routine" ... one never forgets what a thrill it is to fly. I frequently make a trip to the same destination ... a hot springs about 1 hour away from my home airstrip. As many times as I've made the trip, I make a point of a slightly different route each time so I can observe the farms/ranches/lakes/mountain scenery of the region.

My most frequent passengers are also pilots and qualified to fly my plane. I'll give them the controls if they want to fly a portion of the trip. Mrs Sun is well trained in my plane, having owned a twin to it (hers was a newer nicer bird than mine but a financial burden) before we got together. She'll fly most of the distance of our cross country trips unless it's in the backcountry or stormy/IFR conditions. She got her ticket in a Piper Super Cub so was very familiar with low/slow flying before we met, and had hours in a C180 in the backcountry (as I did, too) before buying that C182.

Of those passengers that aren't pilots, I make a point of giving them as comfortable and uneventful ride as possible. Gentle turns, seeking smooth flying conditions, simple landings ... are all a part of giving them as enjoyable an experience as possible. I won't take such passengers along on trips where less than really good conditions are to be expected, and I'll postpone or cancel a trip with them if I can't forecast a "nice" flight. Some have had more hours in a light aircraft than others and have a better tolerance of what may be "scary" to others. But I don't want to have to deal with upset or sick passengers or cleaning up the aircraft after a flight. I'll do my best to divert their attention, try to get them involved in what's going on in flying the airplane. Sometimes just letting an apprehensive passenger take the flight controls (such as the yoke) and seeing a cause/effect captures their interest and they forget about being "scared" (while I'm keeping a light touch on the controls ... just in case I need to respond to something more than they're able to do). Getting them to focus on keeping the plane headed towards a spot of interest on the horizon works wonders for them.

Otherwise, just talking them through the mechanics of what and when I'm doing it gives some folk a greater confidence that relieves their anxieties. I'll invite them to ask questions, too. I do advise that there may be times I'm a little "too busy" to answer so will let them know that I'll get back to them in due course.

The bottom line is to do everything reasonably within one's control to make the flight as pleasant and uneventful an experience as possible ... maybe even FUN. A pre-flight briefing on safety issues ... how to use the seatbelt, how to get out of the plane quickly if need be, flying on a empty stomach ... are all part of setting expectations for a pleasant journey. I try to limit first timers to 15-20 minutes of flying before we'll think about an hour or two or three flight. My goal is that they come away from the experience with a desire to fly again for more fun.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-17-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Thanks...you don't need to answer all...just wanted to get someone talking about flying

Seeing Mt Shasta from above must be really beautiful...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We would need to write a boo to answer all questions. Some bullet points......

1. scary moments are all specific to individuals (cross winds-stalls-severe turbulence-window blowing open just a sample)

2. The day you get your ticket will be the proudest moment of your life

3. First flight you will suddenly realize only YOU are responsible now for making it in one piece...as a PIC

4. You will see sights only pilots know (peak of Mt. Shasta- Lassen peak at 10,500ft then sweeping out over Lake Shasta etc etc -approach to Avalon-Approach over water to Santa Barbara)

5. night flight is 10X more critical than day vfr.....but can be spectacular

6. set your own personal standards on the conservative side

7. Unfortunately it's now a rich mans game (got my ticket in 95-everything has doubled since then)

Old 12-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Awesome post Bella...lots of info to review!

Thanks to all...I know more than I did before your posts.

Seems to me a stall would be terrifying...of course if you know what to do immediately, not so scary.

How long til you can get certified to fly by instruments only? NOT blaming, but remember that JFK Jr. did not have that capability but flew at a time when dusk/dark was coming on...I can see how you could immediately lose control of a situation without a horizon to orient you.

Sounds like most still find it exciting...

not to be negative, but I also have a fascination about why planes crash...

But, I love to fly, in a single engine plane or commercial passenger plane...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
My answers in blue.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 12-17-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 04:01 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
Awesome post Bella...lots of info to review!

Thanks to all...I know more than I did before your posts.

Seems to me a stall would be terrifying...of course if you know what to do immediately, not so scary.
I found stalls to be very intimidating when I was doing initial training, mostly because I was paranoid of accidentally putting the plane in to a spin. Went out with my instructor one time and told him about that, so he intentionally showed me a spin and helped me get over that fear. Eventually stalls became a routine part of training (a pilot usually has to demonstrate stalls to the instructor during a flight review, so it's something that pilots continue to train and perform).

Quote:
How long til you can get certified to fly by instruments only?
It took me about 6 months (this was a year or two after getting my private certificate). I was trying to get it done with only one or two lessons a week, but eventually I realized that idea wasn't working. So I took a week off work and scheduled a lot of time with my instructor. By the end of the week I was ready. Instrument flying is very different, and requires a lot more precision than the kind of flying you learn for the initial certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation